shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:26 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Re: Pc-98/Fm Synth music recommendations?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:46 pm 

FinalBaton wrote:
No guitar power-chord sound in sight but Splatterhouse 2's Bellyache Battle 02 more than qualify as rock to me. With it's chugging rythm and evil, vicious melody, this one's a rocker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jhn36HPa5iA

Squire Grooktook wrote:
Was always a fan of both final boss themes in Splatterhouse 2 and 3. Oustanding catchy battle themes in games full of mostly atmospheric pieces.

Splatterhouse 3 definitely has a real melodic knack (understandably suppressed for the majority of its ghastly trip). Legit one of the most apropos final stage BGMs in an arcade gauntlet; the alternatingly dire/ascendant tone nails the sense of grueling endgame. Even bashing down the onerously tanky FATMAN DEAD in the final room isn't too bad with this moral support!

Still haven't played the prior two games remotely as much, but I definitely pick up the same tone (and the same aesthetic restraint) from what I've heard of them.

The intro and staff roll theme have some great tunes, too. As an aside, the monstrously grainy "GWAAAAAAAAA" sample heard in the attract demo eclipse, a certain optional scene, and whenever a st1 bosstype goes down is pure catharsis.

Last edited by BIL on Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:08 pm 

I'd forgotten about that track, good stuff.

Also worth mentionining: Splatterhouse 1's:

The Saint Comes Marching In
Requiem For Captain Mozarella

Fan titles tho.

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:10 pm 

awesome Splatterhouse 3 track there. Never played the game so I was unfamilliar with it. very epic in feel and dark, brooding atmosphere. The second of it's two parts is legit black metal territory, if you were to tack a blast beat on it

listening to the whole OST now and I'm digging it. Lots of Maiden/power metal-style galloping rythms
love that stuff

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:39 pm 

Some of the stuff previously mentionned in the thread rocks pretty good. The Scheme YM2203 soundtrack is a fine exemple (despite sounding on the thin side).

The Legend Of Hero(YM2203)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX0eRL7ezxM&list=PLFA2908C41A3DAC7F&index=22

Opening Theme(YM2203)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCeat2lcdq0&index=20&list=PLFA2908C41A3DAC7F

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:23 pm 

Elemental Master soundtrack is also chockfull of NWOBHM

Hey, you said "no ThunderForce" but you didn't say "no TechnoSoft"! :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:01 pm 

^^^Indeed.

"Calling on the Dark Dragon King" Aka Boss 5 is mind blowingly good fm-synth rockin'

Love "Visual Scene 1" as well. The whole ost is golden.

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:12 am 

Hard to beat Tecno Soft for sheer excellence... Elemental Master and Thunder Force IV in particular are stunning FM metal works. Also, it's technically Red's composition, but they did a sterling job with Devil Crash MD's utterly epic main table theme.

(tbh I consider DCMD at least half Tecno Soft's. I love both incarnations of the game, but Tecno Soft's new bonus round backgrounds are so goddamn metal, the box should've contained a free tetanus shot. Image )

The omake tracks from other TS games all turned out great too - I especially like the monstrously beefed-up "A Breach of Contract." from Herzog Zwei. Dig the Steve Harris-worthy lead bass, turn the fucker up and feel the kick drum in your chest. These guys were alchemists.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:20 am 

BIL wrote:
Hard to beat Tecno Soft for sheer excellence...

Ain't that the truth. The thing about TS is that it always starts with the immense quality of composition and the arrangements are just the icing on the cake.

I've been enjoying the hell out of the Super 32X' audio. Such rich and deep sound was possible, just using a digital-to-analogue converter and writing everything into the software.

Hikoshi Hashimoto's Cyber Brawl (Cosmic Carnage) really stands out, despite being an otherwise shitty game.

This track really pushes the FM metal as far as it can probably go. Although I prefer his groovier tunes, similar to those he made for A.B. Cop. Make sure to turn the volume up for either. ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:24 am 

Also along with Calling That Detestable Name, Shiver is another very metal synth track from the Etrian series.

It might not count for \m/, but the rocking "The End of Raging Waves" is a must mention whenever the franchise comes up for being amongst Yuzo Koshiro's most anthemic battle themes ever.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:45 am 

I'm glad this topic suddenly picked up again. :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:33 pm 

On a related note : I might capture some Genesis OSTs on my VA2 mobo Genny if there is some interest :wink:
The sound of the VA2 is different enough from the VA3 that it would make a good complement to Dustin Odell's VA3 uploads I think (god bless this guy btw. He's doing fantastic work and gives us great sounding OSTs captured from hardware).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:43 pm 

I love Dustin O'Dell's uploads and would greatly appreciate more audio captures from authentic hardware.

I don't believe he's done Musha Aleste...
Upgrading your PC to play an imperfect port with a bunch of flaws like Mushi is about the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:34 pm 

CIT wrote:
Hikoshi Hashimoto's Cyber Brawl (Cosmic Carnage) really stands out, despite being an otherwise shitty game.

This track really pushes the FM metal as far as it can probably go. Although I prefer his groovier tunes, similar to those he made for A.B. Cop. Make sure to turn the volume up for either. ;)

I also dig Hashimoto's work! Heard Shura no Mon? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCJJ71cpJ6s

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:11 pm 

WelshMegalodon wrote:
Musha Aleste

Can't believe I forgot to mention Musha. One of those quintessential, almost too-obvious mentions that nonetheless deserves every bit of hype. Towering neoclassical metal inferno.

By the by, any fan of Musha's OST should listen to Compile's earlier Blaster Burn, for MSX. Despite the more primitive sound, its heavier compositions are most assuredly \m/etal as fuck. Very Vengeance/Defenders-era Judas Priest.

>The Holy Ghost / Blizzard (excerpts)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:17 am 

ugh... *slaps forehead* can't believe we forgot MUSHA back there

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:57 am 

In the PC-88 camp, Sorcerian MD and Star Cruiser MD are also worth recording (Dustin already having uploaded Ys III and Eiyuu Densetsu).

BIL wrote:
By the by, any fan of Musha's OST should listen to Compile's earlier Blaster Burn, for MSX. Despite the more primitive sound, its heavier compositions are most assuredly \m/etal as fuck. Very Vengeance/Defenders-era Judas Priest.

>The Holy Ghost / Blizzard (excerpts)

Missed that one, despite SHMUPs' very own MSX fan Shatterhand having mentioned it way back. Thanks for the recommendation.
Upgrading your PC to play an imperfect port with a bunch of flaws like Mushi is about the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:32 am 

WelshMegalodon wrote:
In the PC-88 camp, Sorcerian MD and Star Cruiser MD are also worth recording (Dustin already having uploaded Ys III and Eiyuu Densetsu).

Funny, was just listening to Sorcerian (PC-88) this week while getting back into da FM synth metal vibe.

Really great stuff. Yuzo Koshiro aided by sound team JDK leader, miss Mieko Ishikawa herself. can't go wrong with that pair :shock:

my fave metal tune of this OST is the outstanding "Red Dragon"
https://youtu.be/3Gm6D4iFzo8?t=50m1s
such epic trashing synth rock Image

Seriously, the whole soundtrack is great, and is a must listen for any FM synth fan. It truly is prime Koshiro, and even bests The Scheme(which is no easy feat) as far as I'm concerned. It's more focused, more effective.

So many moods covered here. And especially : so many DAMN SONGS! This is one truly massive OST.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:39 am 

WelshMegalodon wrote:
I love Dustin O'Dell's uploads and would greatly appreciate more audio captures from authentic hardware.

I don't believe he's done Musha Aleste...

Now he has :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6JfsduyOZg

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:39 am 

Hell yeah, that's a vital addition!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:34 am 

Elemental master sounds more like italo disco than metal to me. Or maybe that's just the early stages......

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:14 pm 

A few obscure favorites of mine. :)

Space Soldier II
https://youtu.be/Jki1j7k5Oqc?t=29s

Choujin:
(First part of the vid is the FM only version)
https://youtu.be/3NvH7obZUUk

Group X. This one is a bit unusual as it uses the SY22. Sound is produced from 2 FM elements and 2 ROM Sample elements combined via Vector Synthesis. Very YMO inspired, and in a game nobody will ever give a damn about...
https://youtu.be/Add1kL696pw?t=1m35s

Offline Profile