Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:52 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Re: Cuphead, new run'n'gun with old-timey art
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:17 am 

BulletMagnet wrote:

I wonder if it's to fix the dull platforming?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:36 am 

So let's discuss Cuphead....

Did any videos come out demonstrating actual stages since that first, horribly drab video?
I think a lot of the boss fights that have been on display lately have shown big improvements in how the game plays, and some of them are actually starting to look somewhat fun. I wonder if they improved the stages too, or maybe they just decided to ditch them again, in favor of a pure boss rush? Which I actually wouldn't mind, to be honest - I'm actually really impressed by the amount of content they seem to be able to push into this game, so even if the game won't be great, it looks like you'll get your money's worth in setpieces alone.

I would love to play the game when it comes out, but unfortunately it won't be available on any platform that I can use at the moment.

edit:
Long video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20Rt7NugRMs
Platform stages still look terrible, but as long as you're not expecting a new Metal Slug or Gunstar Heroes, it looks like it should be possible to appreciate the game for what it is. Expecting decent reviews from the mainstream press (77 on Metacritic), but mediocre feedback from the shmups crowd at best.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:59 am 

Man, I really love how alive this game feels. Gameplay seems a bit basic though, and this guy playing is terrible lol! Though I'm sure it's hard to play with the pressure of a large audience.
But c'mon man, pattern recognition!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:33 am 

Wonderful art and top notch animations really, I wish this game turns out good because it would be such a waste otherwise, but watching some gameplay footage, at no point did the game convince me it needed to be made in this medium... Just go watch classic Fleischer cartoons like Bimbo's Initation or the Popeye + Sinbad one, this is a better time than playing third rate run n guns regardless of how good they look visually. I guess let's hope they fix how boring and bad the game is, which lets face it isnt going to happen because they're clearly trying to play it way too safe to make a good action game. It'll just be a visual spectacle with worthless content

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:35 am 

Sumez wrote:

bosses and even platform stages look a bit better than in videos i saw, maybe that footage was outdated or the player is not as bad here. still doesn't look like something worth getting even on sale just for content tourism, watching 11 minutes of footage got me tired of artstyle, it's all the same 30s rural america or whatever. also, some sounds effects are loud and annoying like a three way shot and rocket spread.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:08 am 

The footage I linked is still pretty old (E3 2016 or so?), so there's some hope in the game's FAQ page:

Quote:
The platforming levels that were made public were demo levels – not what you will see in the final game. We simply did not have enough final assets completed to create the actual levels we have planned. We can’t wait to show these in their final forms.

Still, I have my reservations about this game until actually playing it.

Here's a screenshot of what one of the platforming stages looks like now:

Let's take a good guess at where the hitboxes are located on all of the stuff in that scene?

Offline Profile