shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:24 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6975 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 228, 229, 230, 231, 232, 233  Next
 Post subject: Re: Recommended Anime/Manga?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:58 pm 

Thought so. That's pretty much the only thing I remember about it, though.

Currently halfway through watching Occultic;Nine. It drives me insane the way some of the characters talk insanely fast like that, but otherwise it's amazing so far. I love having things piece themselves together, only to have them throw you for a loop leaving you wondering what the hell is going to happen next.
You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:06 pm 

Just finished ep 42 of Zeta and you guys were right, it's moving much slower now (and in odd and annoying directions).
Too many stupid things happening because because the plot dictates things must happen.

Spoiler: show
I've lost count on how many times anyone were able to enter a mobile suit and escape the Argama, or how Kamille is yet again seemingly unable to stop another fake-newtype from entering her mobile suit. He just stands there shouting "don't go!" :cry: Just detain them or something while they are stuck in that mecha-summon-trance-mode, jesus. It's like the plot is stuck on repeat.

Oh, and I just can't figure out what Reccoa is up to. She does things that are completely out of character and it's obvious she doesn't like what she's doing yet she has unwillingly taken part in quite a few horrible things in a short time. I can see no other way than for her character arc to be guaranteed fubar at this point.

And speaking of which, the Titans are so obviously comic villainy now (gassing multiple colonies, lasering colonies) that I just can't understand anyone siding with them except out of fear, let alone working for them.

It's still interesting to see where it is going of course, but it is getting very messy - building to the climax no doubt.
My main worry right now is that I am going through Zeta faster than I originally planned and I haven't even put down an order on ZZ yet (price always puts me off a bit). Originally I wanted to leap directly into ZZ after wrapping this up. Oh well.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:33 pm 

soprano1 wrote:
What, that's it for Diamond Is Unbreakable? I was kinda expecting a good final battle like in Stardust Crusaders.

The ending was a major failure. There were multiple compelling plot threads that were just ignored, and the fight itself was anticlimactic, and doesn't even make sense in light of the characters' established powers. It's one of the rare times I felt that Araki just pulled it out of his ass. Too bad the anime didn't totally redo it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:14 pm 

Mortificator wrote:
soprano1 wrote:
What, that's it for Diamond Is Unbreakable? I was kinda expecting a good final battle like in Stardust Crusaders.

The ending was a major failure. There were multiple compelling plot threads that were just ignored, and the fight itself was anticlimactic, and doesn't even make sense in light of the characters' established powers. It's one of the rare times I felt that Araki just pulled it out of his ass. Too bad the anime didn't totally redo it.

Are Vento Aureo and Stone Ocean "better" than Diamond Is Unbreakable in that regard? No spoilers, please. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:15 pm 

soprano1 wrote:
Mortificator wrote:
soprano1 wrote:

Are Vento Aureo and Stone Ocean "better" than Diamond Is Unbreakable in that regard? No spoilers, please. :)

I suppose their endings do have more closure than "just another day for the Joestar family"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:30 pm 

ATTENTION Ji-L87

HAVE YOU WATCHED THE 4 VAMPIRE PRINCESS MYU OVA'S YET? YOU REALLY NEED TO, THEY'RE ESSENTIAL LATE 80'S ANIME

sorry for the all caps, I got a little excited :P I just really want you to watch'em

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:09 am 

NOT YET, BUT I WILL GET TO THEM :wink:

Maybe after Zeta....

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:46 am 

Durandal wrote:
I suppose their endings do have more closure than "just another day for the Joestar family"

Hmm, maybe that's why he decided to reboot the manga with Steel Ball Run.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:38 pm 

Anyone saw Cross Ange? I just watched the new SRT V trailer, didn't know about this Sunrise mecha series. Is it worth a watch?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:35 pm 

I've really come to like Sword Art Online Abridged over the years. That series is just so much better with characters with personalities and humor. Remember that the players in SAO really do have the IQ of cows: thousands of them die to newb mobs in the starter zone in the first month.

IMO, the deathgame genre works best when it's drenched in misery or absurdity. That's why I'm currently into Main Character Hides His Strength these days, as it has a nice mix of both.

Those Japanese style deathgames, obsessed with the waifus and being bland and shit... aren't that great.

soprano1 wrote:
Anyone saw Cross Ange? I just watched the new SRT V trailer, didn't know about this Sunrise mecha series. Is it worth a watch?

I talked about it earlier.

As the first episode went on for a bit, I thought it'd be complete garbage. But it surprisingly has some redeeming qualities for certain audiences, and keeps moving forward. And that audience is perverts who like seeing women suffer, catty lesbians, and dragon-robot murder.

Far from the worst thing I've ever seen, but no where close to the best. 3/5

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:38 pm 

OK, thanks for the reply, Bryan. Think i'll skip it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:19 pm 

Just watched the first 3 episodes of Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu, since some people here said it was good. Dialogue was pretty great, especially during the fighting scenes.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:54 pm 

The few first episodes are just an introduction, the fun hasn't started yet. :wink:

Don't forget there's uncensored versions up to episode 8, it's worth watching those instead of the 'regular'.

EDIT btw watched the Spriggan anime movie (1998)
Never read the manga but it seems the movie covers an arc that was never translated anyway.
Some crazy good bits of animated testosterone, but the final third look more budget and rushed.
The meh music/sound was considerably louder than the dialogue, I hate when it does that.
Not so great overall, the ancient civilization sci-fi story is deja vu.

Last edited by Xyga on Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:59 pm 

Ji-L87 wrote:
Just finished ep 42 of Zeta and you guys were right, it's moving much slower now (and in odd and annoying directions).
Too many stupid things happening because the plot dictates things must happen.

That's exactly it. Aside from a few characters, everybody else is acting stupid simply to create artificial drama.
And I totally agree with all your spoilered points.

Given how ZZ is a breath of fresh air compared to Zeta and is actually fun to watch, I would recommend watching it soon if you can, especially since it is a direct continuation.

Mortificator wrote:
soprano1 wrote:

I finished binge-watching it a few days ago and I have to admit Stardust Crusaders' intensity wasn't there and the resolution was a bit sudden. That said, I did enjoy the change of pace and scale. JoJo isn't afraid to change things every new Part, which makes it much more enjoyable than the majority of battle shônen series IMO. In the case of Diamond Is Unbreakable, there were also tons of funny moments/episodes and I enjoyed that greatly.
The only thing that bothered me is
the lack of follow-up to Okuyasu's dad's whereabouts. When he was introduced, I thought he was an interesting link between SC and DiU and was wondering where that could lead the plot to, but that was dropped and the guy only made a few cameos at the end. Errr, what?

Was an adaptation of Part 5 announced? I guess I can take it for granted but confirmation would be nice. I can't wait for more JoJo!
Xyga wrote:
The few first episode are just an introduction, the fun hasn't started yet. :wink:

Don't forget there's uncensored versions up to episode 8, it's woth watching those instead of the 'regular'.

I should really get back to it myself. I also watched it up to episode 3 (uncensored) but put it aside for seemingly no reason, even though it looked interesting.
Are uncensored versions of episodes following the 08th one planned, by the way?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:04 pm 

M.Knight wrote:
Are uncensored versions of episodes following the 08th one planned, by the way?

Absolutely no idea.

I wish there'll be a season 2, although by what I've seen it's not guaranteed at all.

NO GA, FURUERU!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:38 pm 

I also subconsciously dropped Re:Zero around episode 3. The gratuitous gore and forced drama aren't particularly exciting and the novel spoilers I read promised even more of them later on.

That and the fanbase inflicting its autism everywhere in its wake also adds to my distaste.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:07 pm 

You haven't watched the thing yet care about fanboys and look donw on it ? Do you wear a monocle ? :roll:
(again: at about 3 episodes you haven't seen shit)

Re:Zero is fun precisely because it's over the top / ridiculous, has epic moments and characters, and yeah quite its share of absurd violence but that's completely part of the fun.
Today animu is so fucking boring shit, you could say this one almost stands out as the punk anomaly as there hasn't been anything like that in ages, and I'm sure the production has had genuine fun making it.

If you're looking for an intellectual masterpiece arthouse anime (lol) then yeah by all means: skip Re:Zero, it's not for you.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:03 pm 

To be fair, you do kind of have to be an autist into time loops, deathgames and waifus to like it.

It would be really cool if they'd ever animate some of these Korean novels. They really don't do the whole waifu thing, and if they do hamcram some romance in there, it's hokey Hollywood style crap at worst.

In MCHHS, the protagonist has erectile dysfunction thanks to a curse by one of his old enemies, bypassing all this kind of silliness. How many animoo heroes have the ED as canon fact?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:27 pm 

Xyga wrote:
You haven't watched the thing yet care about fanboys and look donw on it ? Do you wear a monocle ? :roll:
(again: at about 3 episodes you haven't seen shit)

Re:Zero is fun precisely because it's over the top / ridiculous, has epic moments and characters, and yeah quite its share of absurd violence but that's completely part of the fun.
Today animu is so fucking boring shit, you could say this one almost stands out as the punk anomaly as there hasn't been anything like that in ages, and I'm sure the production has had genuine fun making it.

If you're looking for an intellectual masterpiece arthouse anime (lol) then yeah by all means: skip Re:Zero, it's not for you.

Despite committing a major part of my spare time to playing a staring game with my monitor, sometimes I'm just completely oblivious to earthquakes shaking the proverbial house. Likewise I never played Dark Souls, not because I dislike it, but because it never really gets on my mind. This really seems one of those phenomena like Undertale where even the biggest peasant has gained at least some knowledge about it through osmosis, though I guess some shit never reaching you is inevitable once you start ignoring scribbles on a screen with the power of your mind rather than third-party tools (like a weakling). I can't even say 'sounds cool' because I have literally no idea about it, but I guess that's the best way to experience stuff like this.

the girls look like shit from what little smut I've seen

BryanM wrote:
To be fair, you do kind of have to be an autist into time loops, deathgames and waifus to like it.

It would be really cool if they'd ever animate some of these Korean novels. They really don't do the whole waifu thing, and if they do hamcram some romance in there, it's hokey Hollywood style crap at worst.

In MCHHS, the protagonist has erectile dysfunction thanks to a curse by one of his old enemies, bypassing all this kind of silliness. How many animoo heroes have the ED as canon fact?

Doesn't Best Korea have some animation studios of its own by now? I'd figure some of them have at least gained enough skill to start their own studios after working as slaves for Japan for some time. I did get into 4-Cut Hero as my first manhwa and it'd be neat if it got its own TV short series at least.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:18 pm 

soprano1 wrote:
Just watched the first 3 episodes of Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu, since some people here said it was good. Dialogue was pretty great, especially during the fighting scenes.

WTF, episode 15? :shock:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:23 pm 

soprano1 wrote:
soprano1 wrote:

I laughed, like bawahwah. :mrgreen:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:31 pm 

Xyga wrote:
soprano1 wrote:
soprano1 wrote:

I laughed, like bawahwah. :mrgreen:

Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice! :lol:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:37 pm 

Done with Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu. It was pretty enjoyable, some things i saw were pretty ballsy for today's anime market. It definitely needs more seasons to explain some plot points, but that's usual business.
Now, on the subject of waifus! :mrgreen: Gotta go with Rem, Emilia is good moe material, but she's a bit boring.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:02 pm 

I really didn't pay attention to the waifus, as it's clearly not the most important thing and I thought often even a waste of time, in particular the couple episodes that drag on the maid fuckdoll's background. Fuck that shit.

Watching that Subaru dumbass get through that Hell ride with the overkill sadistic stuff and wtf events and characters, is the flesh of the show.

Though ep18 is the turnpoint for me, the anime is iconoclast-enough to be worth watching up until that episode, then it falls to boring mainstream/everyday animushit standard till the end credits.

About season 2; the final portion (after ep18 then) concludes the main plot/adventure for the characters, so It would be difficult to write something after that.
Or they'll have to do something like Steins;Gate with an alternative episode around 17~18 branching towards a different scenario/continuation.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:19 pm 

Xyga wrote:
I really didn't pay attention to the waifus, as it's clearly not the most important thing

Yeah, that's actually a good thing.

Xyga wrote:
About season 2; the final portion (after ep18 then) concludes the main plot/adventure for the characters, so It would be difficult to write something after that.
Or they'll have to do something like Steins;Gate with an alternative episode around 17~18 branching towards a different scenario/continuation.

Isn't it based on a LN?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:26 pm 

Yes but I mean that as I see it the anime could leave it at that, maybe that's what the production though too because the budget for a S2 wasn't confirmed.

It doesn't end frustratingly like No Game No Life for instance.

Last edited by Xyga on Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:35 pm 

soprano1 wrote:
Isn't it based on a LN?

Which is in turn based on a web novel, like everything else is these days. (Such as Twilight fanfiction Shades of Grey.)

9/11 volumes adopted, 4 volumes a year, if they do 12 episode series and use all the parts of the buffalo they can go infinite like Highschool DxD.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:03 pm 

I hope at some point the witch Satella turns Subaru into a newt and someone kills him. Since we know he will get better.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:49 pm 

Went shopping with my sister, and they had a bunch of DVDs at 1 euro each. Found Summer Wars. A great movie, even if the director just remade Digimon Adventure: Our War Game with different characters.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:26 pm 

M.Knight wrote:
...Aside from a few characters, everybody else is acting stupid simply to create artificial drama.
And I totally agree with all your spoilered points.

Given how ZZ is a breath of fresh air compared to Zeta and is actually fun to watch, I would recommend watching it soon if you can, especially since it is a direct continuation.

Well, I sat down with the last bit of Zeta today and just got finished. That sure turned into a lovely mess before not concluding that great. Space esperism got turned up way high and dialogue got way weird.
However, I suppose the wildest thing of them all in Zeta was the mecha designs, which got continuously more "interesting", for the lack of a better word, as it went along.

Very...odd designs, some of them. Although some of the not so outlandish ones were pretty cool, like the Asshimar, Messala, The O and Marasai were all pretty dope I guess, as for the AEUG I liked the Rick Dias and the Gundam MK. II more than the Zeta Gundam on which I am a bit conflicted. Also interesting seeing what I guess is the introduction of satellites/funnel weapons. All in all pretty dope for something in 1985 I guess, although I find something like Cruise Chaser Blassty in the following year to look even better design wise. I guess this is a time where lots of cool mecha designs happened in general.

So, summing up my feelings about Zeta Gundam - it was okay. I loved what a ride it was in the beginning. I know I was confused by it but it wasn't boring as it just kept riding on this momentum it built up by the early episodes which lasted to about the Hong Kong-arc. Then it grew stupid and repetitive. Katz turned out to be the annoying version of Kamille that never stopped doing dumb things. I thought I would dislike Sarah more than I did (Reccoa probably took her place in that list) - she had a pleasant design and seemed pretty human when she wasn't trying to kill civilians or escaping capture. :mrgreen:

Seriously though, the Argama must be the worst guarded warship I've seen...

All that said, I am looking forward to double Zeta. I ordered that and the F91 movie, which I've never seen before either, so that's exciting too. I've only seen a trailer for it that I think was on the vol 1. 0083 laserdisc I have lying around.

Speaking of Gundam, I just got an email the other day from RightStuf detailing their DVD to bluray upgrade program. Shame it's for the US and Canada only it seems (although that makes perfect sense, of course). Perhaps I will have to double dip with the trilogy movies on BD at a (much) later date.
------------------

ATTENTION FINALBATON, I am transferring Vampire Princess Miyu to my NAS as I'm writing this. Probably will watch at least the first episode later tonight.
I sure hope I like it after all the hyping :lol:

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6975 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 228, 229, 230, 231, 232, 233  Next