shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:44 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 268, 269, 270, 271, 272  Next
 Post subject: Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 3:46 pm 

soprano1 wrote:
MintyTheCat wrote:
Seriously get it checked. If your partner is not really supporting you health wise you still have yourself to rely on. Never take any chances with checks and such.

It wasn't me, and i'm pretty sure the guy just had a itch, not some testicular problem. Or he was trying to troll her, who knows. :roll:

Maybe he wanted her to wear the bunny suit and kiss it better.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:33 pm 

That century-old drawer I was happy about... ('smile tread' http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?p=1252544#p1252544)

...was destroyed today by the workers of the construction company doing the refurbishment of the house, after I've specifically instructed their boss to carefully move it outside during the work. Actually he offered to do it even before me mentioning it.

I fucking hate people who only pretend to listen when work/money/contract are involved, or who pretend they'll do and care way more than they actually intend to (people who have friends and coworkers like that raise hand)
And if you're an employee it's not because your boss is a moron that you have to be even dumber than he is to the point of doing something as stupid as destroying the client's furniture.

I'm aware Murphy's law is a very strong thing in this 21st century, so I should blame myself too for looking away even just a couple of minutes, but when I'm fucking busy and tired I'd love to know I can rely at least a little bit on something in this world, someone, whatever, at least a little bit.
But no, people think people nowadays prefer dealing with failure, trouble, anger, conflict, than actually do the shit that would make everyone's life easier, including theirs.

PS: it was not very valuable, but actually about a hundred years and almost pristine. I had also recently learned that it was made a by a local artisan of the time (found its signature inside) so it being somewhat part of the local history made me glad I'd fixed and kept it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:09 pm 

reassembling controllers, particularly for the first time :P
Spent like an hour trying to get a US Model 1 Saturn controller and a JP Saturn controller back together.

whoever designed the US fat controller should have been fired, who thought that awful slanted split board design made sense, it's so freaking bad -- I'm not opposed to the increased size and I like the way the US one feels in the hand, but they went about it in a ridiculous way [and I'm actually betting that one of the reasons they switched back is because the JP design is simpler and thus cheaper to make]
The worst bit about it is that it turns out the only thing that makes the US controller's d-pad so awful is the ridiculous board placement, the components and mechanism are basically the same as in the JP one. The awful d-pad cover probably plays a minor factor too.

If there's one thing that I did kind of like, although I thought it was weird as heck at the time, the US Saturn controller had all the main buttons still on sprues so they wouldn't fall out everywhere [which is exactly what happened to the JP controller, repeatedly].

also, I was going to superglue one of the little holding nubs for the button membranes on the JP one, and then no superglue came out
I cut the end off to get some, and proceeded to get an oddly full container of superglue just spewing out, spent what was probably an actual hour with some acetone trying not to rip my skin off. :lol:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:03 pm 

Hey the world isn't just USA and Japan, most other regions also got that fat controller. I always quite liked it, though the shoulder buttons are a bit awkward.

Also the split PCB makes for an easy padhack.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:28 am 

Quote:
the only thing that makes the US controller's d-pad so awful is the ridiculous board placement

I never understood this - form factor is one thing, but I never had any performance issues with the US D-pad. I think it's as good as any of Sega's floaters. Loved it out of the box before any of us knew the controllers had been changed, and didn't for a second understand the bitching once the comparisons to the Japanese started getting out there.

Now, I love the Japanese pad as much as anyone. But the US version did me just fine. Maybe I got the only two good ones to roll off the production line?

Regarding the board placement: how else would you expect them to work around the shape they chose? I mean, you said yourself the form factor isn't that big a deal. Fact is, if you don't have your contact points lined up along an even plane, something will have to give.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:44 am 

People still whinging about the quality of the ibara ps2 port.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:33 pm 

Does it have any issues aside from lack of slowdown and 480i?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:16 pm 

Quote:

It has a retarded price to go along with the shitty 480i and lack of slowdown now.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:25 pm 

When it's summer and you're living in a city split by a canal through the middle, so all the seniors in their slow-ass boats have to hold up all the traffic by raising the bridges just so they can pass under it as everyone waits.

Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:38 pm 

My 10 year old Dell Ultrasharp that I used every day just bit the dust. RIP. Now I'm stuck on some piece of crap until I can get a new one .. it's sitting on top of a rather large book because it doesn't have adjustable height. And the base is so flimsy the screen wobbles when I type .. :lol:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:57 am 

People who hate anime and get pissed off when they find their childhood cartoons ARE anime. (Stuff like Dogtanian, Maya the Bee, and most World Masterpiece Theater series that aired in the early to mid 80's here.)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:10 am 

Cinemas that start movies 35 minutes after the start time when you arrive early.
Cinemas that start the movies on time when your 3 minutes late.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:49 pm 

neorichieb1971 wrote:
Cinemas that start movies 35 minutes after the start time when you arrive early.

Cinemas that start the short film before the movie 5-10 minutes before start time.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:00 pm 

not really a little thing but.....

Conservative 13.65 Million votes ie 44.7%.
Labour 16.89 Million ie votes 55.3%.

now the tories are forming the shakiest government imaginable with a bunch of sexist, homophobic, climate change denying religeous bigots.

democracy in action!

-edit- think these numbers are wrong actually.....

Last edited by Immryr on Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:07 pm 

It seems to me like every single election that's been held around the world for the past 2-3 years has been an absolute disaster.

Why do we have democracy again? -_-

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:10 pm 

May is running through the fields this evening.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:51 am 

Go to Google and try looking for sites or writers that debunk common misconceptions about game history. As far as Google (and, for that matter, YouTube) are concerned, they don't exist. Most of the links on the first four or five pages of either site are worthless clickbait articles (mostly concerning "misconceptions about gamers") that tell us nothing. Like we actually need articles to remind us that gaming does not correlate to violence, or that not all people who play games are sexist man-children neo-Nazis.

Shouldn't there be more of an audience for this sort of thing? Or does the online gaming community at large actually believe that all the nonsense half-truths being tossed around by bad retrospectives are well-researched fact? Y'know... stuff like "the SNES has a substantially slower CPU than the Genesis" (as Sumez mentioned, slowdown in many SFC games was a result of poor programming) or "saving in games is a relatively new thing" (we've had some form of saving progress since at least 1980 and saving of high scores for even longer). Not to mention that nebulous "fake difficulty" thing.
Upgrading your PC to play an imperfect port with a bunch of flaws like Mushi is about the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:12 am 

Well, your post already contains the answers, with a little editing;
Quote:
most people who play games are sexist man-children neo-Nazis

Quote:
the online gaming community at large actually believes all the nonsense half-truths being tossed around

:p

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:30 am 

neorichieb1971 wrote:

That's the worst. I also can't stand sitting through twenty minutes of previews. It made sense 10+ years ago, but with the internet, everyone has pretty much seen any preview you're going to show in a theater.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:15 am 

My Saturn isn't the biggest fan of burned audio CDs. and consequently, game discs with CDDA tracks -- happens in the CD player, so it's not PseudoSaturn's fault, as I'd thought
Everything will be perfectly fine, and then it'll start stuttering, sputtering, and stop, and then pick up as if nothing happened. If I pause and play when it starts sputtering, it'll continue just fine again. I think it ends up in approximately the same part of songs every time, too.
I've got no idea if it's because my Saturn had drive issues before, if it just doesn't like my burns/media, if ImgBurn is fucking up somewhere, etc.

it's not a big issue, since pausing and playing again gets it going just perfect again, but it's certainly annoying as hell
Nothing like enjoying the cool Wipeout Saturn soundtrack and then stuttering gets in the way, bleh.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:48 am 

When the first thing of your day is hitting your big toe so hard the nail is bent about halfway and it hurts like fucking hell, right at a time you've got plenty of work to do and people counting on you, and places to drive to.

*swearing a lot with a distorted face*

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:15 pm 

When your civil protection service is so shitty they don't know if a plane crashed or not:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-40348252

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:32 am 

I keep getting drawn into promising movements that metastasize into something so nutty I have to yank the eject.

#gamergate, the New Atheist movement, and now Jimmy Dore.

*sigh*

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:05 pm 

Devices not including AC adapters in their packages for some reason. Fuck USB chargers.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:18 pm 

soprano1 wrote:
Devices not including AC adapters in their packages for some reason. Fuck USB chargers.

what about not including a charger at all? I heard that some 3DSs came with nothing to charge the damn thing with...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:38 pm 

moh wrote:
soprano1 wrote:

what about not including a charger at all? I heard that some 3DSs came with nothing to charge the damn thing with...

That's one of said devices. :D
I don't enjoy usb chargers much, although they improved compatibility between the different power sockets all over the world.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:50 pm 

working while exhausted, forgetting your working directory, executing 'rm -rf *' in /.
add insult to injury, your secondary drives are all mounted.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:11 pm 

Sonic Mania on PC's getting delayed. Shit's killing me.

rapoon wrote:
working while exhausted, forgetting your working directory, executing 'rm -rf *' in /.
add insult to injury, your secondary drives are all mounted.

yikes
Were there backups?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:34 pm 

Strider77 wrote:
Quote:

and lack of slowdown now.

Slowdown isn't even relevant in ibara if you have any idea of routing and you're not doing archer tier milk strats on the last boss and even he got a V on the port, the truth is many westies like excuses for being lazy, low effort and shit to detract from their own failings.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:57 am 

People who are right next to the store they say they need to get stuff from. Then decide that they need to go to a different location and complain about all the traffic the entire drive over to that location. Why can't you just use the store you're across the street from?

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 268, 269, 270, 271, 272  Next