shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:48 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7916 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 255, 256, 257, 258, 259, 260, 261 ... 264  Next
 Post subject: Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:08 am 

Yeah, that seems to be pre-DOS computer gaming in a nutshell. I've most definitely had issues getting cracked images running in WinVICE and Altirra.

To be fair, we owe the hacking community for distributing the disk images in the first place, altered or otherwise. There are also projects like this one (no warez) aiming to amass clean dumps of the known software.
Upgrading your PC to play an imperfect port with a bunch of flaws like Mushi is about the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:20 am 

WelshMegalodon wrote:
To be fair, we owe the hacking community for distributing the disk images in the first place, altered or otherwise. There are also projects like this one (no warez) aiming to amass clean dumps of the known software.

That's true. I don't know if early emulators had copy protection issues that necessitated that sort of thing, but it's still a shame considering how much easier it is to find 'clean' dumps of NES/SNES games by comparison.

Then again, considering the format is prone to failure, it's a miracle so many of the diskettes have been dumped at all.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:10 am 

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
Why is it all of the Commodore 64 games found dumped are ones that have hacks applied to them? I swear some of the games act buggier or unusual compared to how they played originally, and because the original game code's possibly modified there's no way of knowing if it's an emulator bug or if it's a bug with the hacked version itself...

Cracked games are the norm because you can actually copy them easily, and then people liked the convenience of trainers and shit like that.
It's a major issue with computer scenes in general.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:45 am 

People that defend piracy with ridiculous and/or outdated arguments, and people that say pirates are worse than child abusers (yes, some people went there :shock: )

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:24 pm 

We've definitely had some of the former here on SHMUPs.

Honestly, people joke about how gamers are such a whiny bunch, but it's really the community that gets me. It's much easier not to play a bad game than it is to shut out the horrible people thinking it's so great and blindly labeling mechanics as "outdated".

All those people obsessed with "improving" the PS1 generation... or trying to play Dolphin in HD...

And speaking of the emulation community:

https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/comm ... f/dettv18/

Quote:
To be honest, I'm not expecting much from the user-side of the emulation community anymore, and from what I gathered this is a common trend among emulator developers. There is a niche group of people who actually care about platform research and preservation, and I have come to appreciate their feedback over the years a lot, but the vast majority seems to be teenagers looking for easy ways to play the next-and-greatest pokemon/zelda/mario game for free. I'm looking forward to the day the latter group comes to realize supporting closed-source models is the wrong choice.

I'm considering just reading what byuu and Mask_of_Destiny post in /r/emulation instead of going to the actual page...

byuu wrote:
As someone with a 100% score on the SNES ... these [TASVideos' emulator accuracy] tests are very over-rated. The scores are just the number of tests passed, with no consideration to the importance of each test. Many tests will be things that zero commercial games ever do.
I'm all for them existing and all for emulators passing them, but an emulator should be judged by its compatibility (and lack of hacks, and open source status) rather than by the number of test ROMs it passes.
Test ROMs are for emulator developers, not for user benchmarking. TAS Videos does us a disservice by posting those results publicly :/
Upgrading your PC to play an imperfect port with a bunch of flaws like Mushi is about the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:44 am 

Edge-case accuracy is fairly important for romhacks and people doing dev for old machines and the lot, and there really isn't much wrong with posting test results publicly other than most people sucking at interpreting statistics.
I'm glad at the work byuu does, and he has a hell of a lot more ground to make certain statements than most, but there's no reason to make a sacred cow out of him. Shit, byuu's even said as much before.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:00 am 

I'm aware of all the, ahem, drama that's surrounded byuu and his relationship with others in the community (not to mention higan's tendency to fail when it comes to fan translations and homebrew), and I apologize if it sounds like I've been idolizing him. The man isn't exactly known for his winning personality.

I respect those that actually know what they're talking about where emulation accuracy is concerned, is all.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:03 am 

WelshMegalodon wrote:
(not to mention higan's tendency to fail when it comes to fan translations and homebrew)

(but that's just because said things wouldn't work on real hardware either)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:03 am 

When part of a game pops into your mind, but you can't remember what game it's from. Case in point: I suddenly find myself thinking of a 3D (third-person shooter?) game where an NPC ally says "Let's roll!" in a stilted HOTD-esque voice I can almost hear, before he runs into the next area ahead of you. Now I'm looking through my games to see if anything jogs that vague memory. It's not important or something I'm hunting for to play, yet there's an urge to complete the memory.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:16 am 

Someone who keeps asking you to play fighters with them yet always starts whining about how the game is weird and armchair game design bullshit because they lost.

Spoiler: show

I still enjoy the schadenfreude though.

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:45 am 

Squire Grooktook wrote:
Someone who keeps asking you to play fighters with them yet always starts whining about how the game is weird and armchair game design bullshit because they lost.

It's a general reply from people who (still) aren't good enough, or are sore losers. In Pokemon Showdown, even when playing with the official VGC format, this toxic garbage happens all the time.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:10 pm 

The PS3. I mean seriously, fuck this machine. Picked up a back compatible fatty. It's loud as fuck and the fan seems to be on full whack constantly (thermal paste was renewed recently). Downloaded Everybody's Golf World Tour, forgot that this shitty machine makes you download an installer, then actually installs the game. A 15 minute wait on top of a painfully slow 7gb DL. The UI is over cluttered and ugly, the pads are dreadful, and overall I stand by my opinion that it's an utter fucking abomination compared to the 360.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:28 pm 

^My PS3 recently started doing that with the fan, I had to take it apart and blow about a metric ton of dust out of the damn thing. Once I powered it back on it went back to normal. I swear to god it sounded like a jet engine was in my house LOL

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:31 pm 

fucking baby boomers, all of them, nuke'em from orbit

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:47 pm 

Banned User

Yeah, kill the baby boomers and not the liar politicians and the elites they service or the miserable shitcunt they employ to tell you your enemy is baby boomers, and not them.
Fucking idiot.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:56 pm 

The politicians, elites and shitcunts are baby boomers.
Fucking idiot.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:04 pm 

soprano1 wrote:
Squire Grooktook wrote:

It's a general reply from people who (still) aren't good enough, or are sore losers. In Pokemon Showdown, even when playing with the official VGC format, this toxic garbage happens all the time.

I keep this around just for such occasions ;3

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:08 pm 

BIL, I'm seriously keeping that, it's perfect. Thanks again for delivering.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:42 pm 

Armchair market analysts.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:53 pm 

Haha, that KOF pic is fucking great

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:56 am 

Marc wrote:
The PS3. I mean seriously, fuck this machine. Picked up a back compatible fatty. It's loud as fuck and the fan seems to be on full whack constantly (thermal paste was renewed recently). Downloaded Everybody's Golf World Tour, forgot that this shitty machine makes you download an installer, then actually installs the game. A 15 minute wait on top of a painfully slow 7gb DL. The UI is over cluttered and ugly, the pads are dreadful, and overall I stand by my opinion that it's an utter fucking abomination compared to the 360.

Yeah. I wouldn't go as far as "an abomination", and I don't have the old, louder model, but the PS3 has definitely frustrated more than the 360 ever did. If it weren't for a few exclusives and the default controller having a more usable D-Pad, I doubt I'd use the thing at all. Particularly irksome is the store, where pretty much nothing ever has a demo, and a lot of things don't have any kind of screenshots, or if it has a video you sometimes have to download it and view outside of the store application. The store also crashes a lot on me.
It's also kinda dumb how if you have the composite cables pulgged in, and not the HDMI, the video/sound output doesn't default to it. Seems like you actually have to plug both cables into an HDTV and configure it beforehand if you want to use it on a CRT or something.

Squire Grooktook wrote:

tbf, Darkstalkers is kind of a weird game :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:41 am 

mamboFoxtrot wrote:
It's also kinda dumb how if you have the composite cables pulgged in, and not the HDMI, the video/sound output doesn't default to it. Seems like you actually have to plug both cables into an HDTV and configure it beforehand if you want to use it on a CRT or something.

When the machine's off, hold the power button down til it beeps twice to reset the display configuration. I think that's right, you may have to look it up.

also fuk y'all the pad is fine dualshock fo lyf.

Haha the thing about Squire is; despite his calm polite demeanour and love of cute things, he's unhindered pure aggression when it comes to fighters.

Last edited by Blinge on Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:35 pm 

Banned User

Xyga wrote:

Can't we just kill you instead? You dumb, brainwashed, egotistical, cross-dressing, shit stabbing, faggot Jew fuck.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:10 pm 

Satan wrote:
faggot Jew fuck.

That annoys the hell out of me...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:31 pm 

Satan wrote:
Xyga wrote:

Can't we just kill you instead?

Let's ban you instead.

My videos
Rolling Start!! - Arcade Racing Game Forum

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:59 pm 

Ghegs wrote:
Satan wrote:
Xyga wrote:

Can't we just kill you instead?

Let's ban you instead.

Even Satan must obey the rules of a forum.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:01 pm 

:lol:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:25 pm 

The ridiculous money offers for Cave games in the WTB section.

STV would be proud.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:02 pm 

You know, when he wasn't exploding into torrents of abuse/flaming like that at people who're far more of a natural ally than other forum members.. I thought Satan was alright.
When he wasn't pulling shit like this.

Somewhat incomprehensible, unless he's of baby boomer age. Which wouldn't surprise me knowing this forum :mrgreen:

Also, a friend of mine who was playing OoT for the first time just admitted he's been using a walkthrough for nearly all the adult dungeons. Urgh

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:10 pm 

Blinge wrote:
Somewhat incomprehensible, unless he's of baby boomer age.

I'm sure Satan is primeval age. :wink:

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7916 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 255, 256, 257, 258, 259, 260, 261 ... 264  Next