shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:57 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: NieR
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:36 pm 

I'm excited about Automata, but I honestly couldn't care less how many vertical pixels I get to see :3

Immryr wrote:
i've heard it gets a lot better toward the end

The story completely falls apart towards the end. The overarching plot is ridiculous, the gem is in the setpieces you get to experience throughout the game.
If you're 12 hours in and still don't like it, it's probably "not for you".

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:08 pm 

You only get to see half of the story in your first playthrough in case you didn't know. You need to at least reach the second ending to get the majority of it, though for the whole thing you also need endings 3 and 4.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:14 pm 

I'm aware of that. I do like the extra layer they added to the game on the second playthrough, even if it's a bit forced. What I'm talking about in regard to the story falling apart towards the end is basically everything that happens around and during the final dungeon.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:26 pm 

Immryr wrote:
i've been playing nier recently, i'm about 12 hours in and just need one more piece of the big key thing. so far everything about the game is very mediocre, other than the music. the much lauded story is meh so far, although i've heard it gets a lot better toward the end, the writing is.....bad, the characters are fairly standard archetypes, the combat is bland, there is a weapon upgrade system but so far i haven't found the need to use it as grinding for the materials doesn't seem worth it, all of the quests you get given are pointless and often grindy fetch quests. the bosses have been decent and i like idea of the mix of sword swinging and dodging the big balls everything shoots at you - kind of like a 3d Ys.

the part where kaine gets an axe handle through her chest and the camera zooms in on her butthole was good.

I couldn't get into the first one, either. It's not bad..but it didn't grab me. It's action just isn't fun. And that is what you're doing most of the time. So...

I also wasn't into the fetch quests.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:24 pm 

Just got a 360. I'll soon look for that game, and others RPGs (Dark Souls, Blue Dragon or Lost Odyssey)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:29 pm 

For whatever it's worth, Famitsu liked Automata.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:41 pm 

iconoclast wrote:
You only get to see half of the story in your first playthrough in case you didn't know. You need to at least reach the second ending to get the majority of it, though for the whole thing you also need endings 3 and 4.

Hmm. That sucks as playing through the game again isn't a very appealing prospect to me. If either the writing was good or the action and quests weren't so mundane it would probably feel worthwhile.... On the other hand I would like to see the rest of the story just to be fair in my judgement of the game. Having said that I think any game which requires multiple playthroughs to get the full story, but doesn't grab you enough, either through story or gameplay, to play on after reaching the ending has ultimately failed anyway....

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:17 pm 

He's becoming Kojima 2.0, and that sux.
NieR: Automata – A special message from YOKO TARO

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:00 pm 

Quote:
NieR: Automata has a little fishing system that lets you find some nifty rare items, but after some players reeled in a trash item called “NIN64” they got pretty upset and called out the developers.

The above is a look at the “NIN64” item. It is described as “Trash that was fished up. Can be exchanged at the shop.” Of course there’s no telling if it was just a little reference to the Nintendo console that somehow managed to survive the test of time until 2B fishes it out almost 10,000 years later, or if it was a tongue-in-cheek comment from the developers.

Nonetheless, a lot of players in Japan saw it as a rather tasteless comment to call the old Nintendo hardware “trash” as described in the info and began demanding Square Enix to change it. Producer Yosuke Saito followed up with the tweet to address the issue, saying that they will “change the name of an item you’ve all pointed out” as well as some bug fixes in the next patch.

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/02/24/ni ... led-nin64/

:lol: ing at everything about this.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:29 pm 

iconoclast wrote:
Quote:
NieR: Automata has a little fishing system that lets you find some nifty rare items, but after some players reeled in a trash item called “NIN64” they got pretty upset and called out the developers.

The above is a look at the “NIN64” item. It is described as “Trash that was fished up. Can be exchanged at the shop.” Of course there’s no telling if it was just a little reference to the Nintendo console that somehow managed to survive the test of time until 2B fishes it out almost 10,000 years later, or if it was a tongue-in-cheek comment from the developers.

Nonetheless, a lot of players in Japan saw it as a rather tasteless comment to call the old Nintendo hardware “trash” as described in the info and began demanding Square Enix to change it. Producer Yosuke Saito followed up with the tweet to address the issue, saying that they will “change the name of an item you’ve all pointed out” as well as some bug fixes in the next patch.

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/02/24/ni ... led-nin64/

:lol: ing at everything about this.

How distasteful, they should have changed it to PSX1 instead.

Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:34 pm 

But the N64 is trash, what are they upset about :arrow:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:50 pm 

Nice :D finally a punch in a head for those who overhype mario64 etc

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:39 pm 

N64 is trash, Mario 64 obviously isn't.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:06 pm 

I watched a little bit of zaarock streaming this yesterday and it looked fucking excellent. I'm hyped.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:48 pm 

So, like, is Automata actually coming out on PC on the 10th or was that just a complete flub on the trailer? I have it preordered on PS4 but I'd really rather play it on my PC if possible. I really wish they would just tell us if and when the PC version is coming for sure.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:46 pm 

Yeah, it's really annoying, it's like Sony wants to pretend it's exclusive for as long as possible ..

I bet they're trying to get the PC port cancelled even now.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:23 pm 

Sumez wrote:
N64 is trash, Mario 64 obviously isn't.

No way. N64 has some better games than that early 3d platformer attempt with drunken camera.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:34 pm 

Really happy with Automata, been playing it a ton since JP release. Hard difficulty felt just right for going through the story.

One gripe though, endgame content is lacking unless I'm missing something. There's a ton of stuff to unlock but you quickly end up overleveled with no real combat areas remaining. There's no way to downgrade your level so you're eventually screwed as enemies become too weak. Not a huge deal since you can always start a fresh playthrough but it's weird considering how much effort they put into the combat. If they make any DLC I'd guess it would fill this void though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:48 pm 

Would you record videos on it?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:45 pm 

Quote:
Really happy with Automata, been playing it a ton since JP release. Hard difficulty felt just right for going through the story.

It has English options for the text etc?
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:23 am 

Digital Foundry has some performance analysis of the game on the PS4 and PS4 Pro. https://youtu.be/lRlGlMMn830

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:34 am 

Durandal wrote:
How distasteful, they should have changed it to PS4 instead.

Fixed.

ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:49 pm 

http://store.steampowered.com/app/524220/ Steam page is live!

Last edited by Udderdude on Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:46 pm 

http://gematsu.com/2017/03/nier-automat ... s-march-17

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:51 pm 

Only two more weeks of dodging spoilers...

Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:20 pm 

wow the game looks and sounds impressive. Hopes it comes to Steam, I'll never buy a Ps4 or any console

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:30 am 

Yoko Taro wrote:
I love side-scrolling shooting games! All these middle-aged men come up with these ideas, and the young creators are at a loss as to what to do with it. In order to educate them, I got them to take reference from Cave shooting games. That was my only direction... [...]
This is a really tough time for Japanese video game publishers. We've been trying to learn lessons from western AAA titles. We don't want the Japanese industry, its essence, to be mobile games. I'd like the essence be great console titles. That should be the direction we're taking.

Cool interview.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:02 pm 

Finished very hard with true ending, took a while... Very hard is surprisingly playable but wouldnt recommend it for first playthrough (unless you learn combat systems like this super easily)

I hope they patch the framerate issues on PS4 and add more post-game content

Strider77 wrote:
It has English options for the text etc?

Yep, can select english voices and subtitles just like the demo.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:49 pm 

Would you recommend hard for the first playthrough though? I'm strongly considering it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:37 pm 

wow GTX 770 minimum

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next