shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:17 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 368, 369, 370, 371, 372, 373  Next
 Post subject: Re: Movies you've just watched
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:51 pm 

Elle (2016) - Paul Verhoeven
Verhoeven, you mad bastard! :lol:
He is never going to change and mainstream is never going to "get" him. Of course, there is also that special type of viewer, that is willfully ignorant to what is being said and unfortunately there are more now than ever before. The walkouts, triggering and "outrage" with this film are well known.
Elle, is classic Verhoeven. Not for everyone, so be advised. I was "ready" for the fucker this time, so the WTF-ness soon turned into AHA!
Also; Isabelle Huppert in the lead. Superb. I just noticed yesterday that she was up for an Oscar. Waste of time. No way was she going to be "allowed" a win.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:52 pm 

Xyga wrote:
I know it would be redundant with this one but I'd love it if we had a thread specifically dedicated to films versions and releases.

Skykid wrote:
Nothing in the work print feels like a painting or an effect because of the quality of the film stock. I watched it projected at home theatre size and it was convincing and magnificent throughout.

I don't mean how it looks but the technique used, who knows the bizarre reasons why some directors make the wrong choices sometimes ?

Anyone found anything interesting to read about the workprint beyond "It was found in storage, x scene and x line missing, screenshot, screenshot, just watch the Final, blah blah" ?
Surprisingly there isn't much about it on the nets, or my google-fu is shit...

I have that anniversary set, and there is a very good commentary track included on the disc that has the workprint. Loads of alt takes, some background musical stuff in some scenes got replaced because they couldn't afford the rights and it was taking too long etc... I do like the logo for Blade Runner on the workprint better though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:53 pm 

^ I'll look for that.

---------

John Wick (2014)

Not much to add to the previous comments, just that it reminded me of that;
Real Ultimate Power wrote:
I heard that there was this ninja who was eating at a diner. And when some dude dropped a spoon the ninja killed the whole town.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:31 pm 

The Man Who Knew Infinity (2015)
Very interesting movie about mathematician S. Ramanujan, and his work during First World War. Great casting and acting. Jeremy Irons is old as fuck now, wow.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:33 pm 

A Streetcar Named Desire (1951)
Wonderfully made and acted, in my opinion. Human drama at it's best.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:55 pm 

Cinema Paradiso (1988)
I have no words to describe this work. Only a note, do not watch the 2002 Director's Cut (aka Cinema Paradiso: The New Version). From wikipedia's description, it fails miserably compared to the original International release.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:08 pm 

soprano1 wrote:

Heartbreaking and real.

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:03 pm 

soprano1 wrote:

My wife named one of our cats Stella after that movie just so she could yell "STELLLLLAAAAAA!" at her.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:08 am 

"Logan"

Not bad. I wasn't blown away or anything, but it was enjoyable as a movie. A decent sense of humor within some pretty dark action, and some trying-too-hard pulls at the heartstrings, it was good. Full disclosure: I'm not a big X-Men or comic book guy, so it's not as though I'm a fanboy of the character or anything. I do like Hugh Jackman, I think Patrick Stewart's a pretty darned good actor, and they do play off each other well. And they're very "sweary"...and even some of that is a bit funny.

I was certainly more entertained with this than the last movie I attended at the theater: "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story".

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:12 am 

A couple recent ones:

Hellboy 2: The Golden Army: ***

I actually liked this better than I liked the first Hellboy movie, and quite possibly even more than I liked Deadpool (but then again I really did not care for Deadpool all that much.) That said, there was a lot of the movie that felt superfluous. In the first ten minutes of the movie some Exposition Fairy talked about the Golden Army sealed away in the earth with various pieces of MacGuffin, and at that point it was already inevitable that said MacGuffins would be collected and someone would be fighting the Golden Army at the climax of the movie. When it did actually happen it got hand-waved away for the "real" battle, which was well done but still felt like a consolation prize.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:24 am 

The Lego Batman Movie:****

I feel sorry for whoever happens to be directing the next Murderverse Batman movie, because nobody is going to take them seriously after this one. In much the same way the first Lego Movie was, this is loud and frenetic, to the point that it is almost impossible to keep up with all the action, and devolves into the same "throw in every license we can get away with" mashup as the first one:

Spoiler: show
With all the standard Batman villains locked up in Arkham, The Joker resorts to such random "Minions" as Voldemort, Sauron, The Wicked Witch of the West, King Kong and various Daleks to enact his evil plans.

In the end it works (shockingly) but as I noted above, this may just sabotage any future Batman movies the same way a film like Airplane! sabotaged the Disaster Film genre for years.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:48 am 

Now that Ben Affleck is Batman it's a parody anyway.

ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:34 am 

Skykid wrote:
Now that Ben Affleck is Batman it's a parody anyway.

It's been more than a year, and I still can't believe this happened.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:33 pm 

Saw Logan.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:36 pm 

When I saw you post here, I predicted (while the page was loading) "I saw Logan".

So I guess I was slightly off.

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:02 pm 

I saw Logan too. Let's talk about what I think about it.

Extremely well done movie that manages to feel both highly depressing and really emotional when it needs to. Except from the ending, which is by far its biggest issue. The movie has a really campy comic book style plot running through it which is alright because it doesn't matter throughout the majority of the movie. But it does in the end, which goes almost full on comic book logic and spectacle and made me completely not care about the outcome, which was pretty bad timing I guess.

Might not be the best "X-Men movie", but it's by far the "best movie" in the X-Men franchise.

They could have easily cut the Wolverine clone entirely from the movie, and it would have only made it better

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:27 pm 

Sumez wrote:
I saw Logan too. Let's talk about what I think about it.

Extremely well done movie that manages to feel both highly depressing and really emotional when it needs to. Except from the ending, which is by far its biggest issue. The movie has a really campy comic book style plot running through it which is alright because it doesn't matter throughout the majority of the movie. But it does in the end, which goes almost full on comic book logic and spectacle and made me completely not care about the outcome, which was pretty bad timing I guess.

Might not be the best "X-Men movie", but it's by far the "best movie" in the X-Men franchise.

They could have easily cut the Wolverine clone entirely from the movie, and it would have only made it better

Better than those movies with Young Magneto and Xavier? It must be good then

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:54 pm 

I saw Logan tonight. 5/5 from me, but I'm silly generous. The young girl actress was terrific.

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:22 pm 

Vexorg wrote:
In the end it works (shockingly) but as I noted above, this may just sabotage any future Batman movies the same way a film like Airplane! sabotaged the Disaster Film genre for years.

Not so shocking. Taking something old and doing a twist on it is what innovation is.

Why, we have that Alien-General Hospital crossover coming up and all

the aliens all die from STDs originally contracted from Maxie

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:07 am 

Squire Grooktook wrote:
When I saw you post here, I predicted (while the page was loading) "I saw Logan".

So I guess I was slightly off.

I was expecting "I saw Logan. It was awesome!". Then again, he usually calls bad movies awesome and called Zootopia "decent".

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:45 am 

The Hidden 1987
we dont have movies like this anymore
a pure hidden gem..i never heard about this in my life
just got it a week back..i think MIB appreciate this movie alot
Kyle MacLachlan acting superb as useual..Makeup Effects pure awesom
specially the Alien part..(80's baby)..the only similar movie we have these
days is Men in Black 1997..go watch The Hidden..

8.5/10

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:31 am 

soprano1 wrote:
Cinema Paradiso (1988)
I have no words to describe this work. Only a note, do not watch the 2002 Director's Cut (aka Cinema Paradiso: The New Version). From wikipedia's description, it fails miserably compared to the original International release.

The DVD I watched recently seemed the same as I remembered it from the TV, so I guess it wasn't any new version.

The director character in this one always felt redundant to me (perhaps in the Director's Cut, this framing was further enhanced, whereas come to think of it, film hardly needed it whatsoever).
The protagonist was clearly collective (all cinemagoers out there), so who cares about one dude's future job?
Do I hope to watch it in a movie theatre someday...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:13 am 

Leandro wrote:
Better than those movies with Young Magneto and Xavier? It must be good then

Yes. I quite liked First Class despite its flaws, and Days of Future Past was brilliant, IMO, and better than any of the Marvel movies. But Logan is a "real" movie with real feelings. You don't just compare it with other comicbook movies. It was obvious from the trailers that that's what it set out to do, but surprising how well it succeeded.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:40 am 

Logan

Only vaguely inspired by the much cheesier Old Man Logan comic, it's for all practical purposes an original story: built on familiar characters and situations (Logan, prof. Xavier and his school, evil people who hunt mutants and/or put adamantium implants in them) but using them creatively, as a leverage to tell its own plot. The lack of significant constraints of continuity and adherence to canon allows making a good film, to an unprecedented extent compared to previous X-Men adaptations. The plot is both very well aligned with X-Men traditions, despite the abundance of new characters, and politically meaningful.

Good actors, an acceptable amount of implausibilities (e.g. psychically paralyzed people who continue to stand after being killed) and predictability (e,g, the obvious tragic consequences of dividing the party with an excuse); well-done special effects that don't attract inappropriate attention.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:52 pm 

Return of The Jedi Despecialized 2.5
I made it through this for the first time in forever. Maybe the changes in the later versions are just that bad. Londo still provides the best of the comedic stuff in the movie by far, and who the hell here hasn't seen this? I enjoyed it even if them teddy bears are a low point.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:16 am 

Zombieland

I'm astonished they never made a sequel out of this. Not that it needs it.

I'm surprised at how little gore there was considering it was a zombie movie. Once you get past the first minute or two, the worst thing you (don't) see is a zombie getting his head chopped off offscreen. The best part by far has got to be the celebrity cameo.

The only negative I can think of is that it wasn't longer.
You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:07 am 

Lord Satori wrote:
Zombieland

I'm astonished they never made a sequel out of this. Not that it needs it.

As a heads up Amazon shot a pilot for a TV series of this. People freaking hated it since they apparently expected these AAA stars to do hard dedicated chump work for chumps. Never got picked up.

I actually rather enjoyed it for the most part.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:38 pm 

Kong: Skull Island

A surprisingly well-written and coherent kaijuu story, with realistic and lovingly made special effects (the best I can remember, because monsters look like monsters, not like gratuitous graphics). All strange and "wrong" things are quite justified:
  • Three or four times the helicopters that the ship appears to carry: needed to fly numerous redshirts and to provide examples of Kong's aversion for helicopters. A huge ship would be sillier.
  • Even more helicopters out of nowhere, for important practical and character development purposes
  • Flexible urgency: the mouth of the river is said to be too far on foot, but the group that is using a boat stops long and often to do interesting things (including repeatedly reaching the other group that's travelling on land and going back to the river).
  • Kong is beyond bulletproof, because he needs to look good.
The insistent visual and thematic references to Apocalypse Now are made with love and competence like the rest, but somewhat out of place.

Good acting, although with strange characters: Samuel L. Jackson is a very worn out U.S. Army officer who takes the death of his helicopter crews too personally, Brie Larson (formally a photographer) is an amazingly creepy tourist, always smiling and composed and occasionally contributing decisively to fights, while Tom Hiddleston is an overqualified ex-SAS "hunter" who assumes leadership, but his leadership mostly consists of worrying about the situation and calming down people.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:34 pm 

kaicooper wrote:
The Hidden 1987
we dont have movies like this anymore
a pure hidden gem..i never heard about this in my life
just got it a week back..i think MIB appreciate this movie alot
Kyle MacLachlan acting superb as useual..Makeup Effects pure awesom
specially the Alien part..(80's baby)..the only similar movie we have these
days is Men in Black 1997..go watch The Hidden..

8.5/10

Quoted for the truth :D .
Sadly the sequel is by far not as good :cry: .
If you like great 80s sci-fi / horror you should check Brain Damage from the same year => I'm sure you'll like that one :).

Skykid wrote:
Get ready for the big bad world to fuck you up the ass in ways you never believed possible.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:19 am 

Logan

It was pretty dope. First Marvel Movie I've watched in some 5 years. Glad I went. Not w/o it's flaws, but it did what it did well. My summary statement is that it was basically a Wim Wenders road film with a lot of detached limbs. Reading the Director's Credits, I'm only lukewarm about the guy - his best effort prior being Walk The Line by a sizable margin. Anywho, good fun.

Did anyone else catch this?

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 368, 369, 370, 371, 372, 373  Next