shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:52 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9597 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 314, 315, 316, 317, 318, 319, 320  Next
 Post subject: Re: Awesome stuff you've just bought (+pics please)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:34 pm 

it's only a laptop...but you can figure the problem for old games.. dstn, no sound, slowness, lack of fullscreen due to matrix, ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2v7k-wAm2E

the list is scarce, but there are others (like some thinkpad ibm).. and these as this compaq161 are uncommon to fullfill all the requirements , it's the real deal not "dosbox"

Tft mcga/vga fullscreen for gold era of msdos games
Soundblaster compatible w control sound
Pentium speed
Joystick port thru usb/msdos driver

Strike commander runs fullspeed all details on, raptor, tyrian,.. all is smooth & so good :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:46 pm 

So the annual (well, there wasn't any last year) retro game thingy happened today. I mostly went for "work" this time as I'm working on my graduation project which's got to do with video games, and I don't have a lot of money currently so I wasn't planning on any big purchases. Did kind of look for a Panzer Dragoon Orta but didn't find any, and a Dragon's Crown for Vita, which I did find but for too high a price. For a bit thought I wouldn't actually buy anything, but on literally my final round of looking at stuff, I found this.

I've been needing a protective case and especially a screen filter for my Vita, and with the exception of the car charger which I'm quite sure I will literally never use, the rest of the stuff are also going to be nice. Now I can bring the thing places without worry! I would slightly have prefered a hard case, but I assume the makers of the system also knew how to make a case that would protect it well.

Ended up screwing up when applying the screen filter, a little speck of dust underneath it happened and my attempts at fixing it obviously just made it a lot worse, so I'm writing that one off as a loss and lesson learned. Ordered a new one (two, really, to be on the safe side, they were on a little sale where I ordered from anyway) already. And the carrying pouch was really the big thing there, plus I did actually start needing another case for games (though the carrying pouch has some cart slots too) and I had wanted a wrist strap. So my pedantic tendencies screwing it up aside, still absolutely going to consider this a good purchase.

Last edited by KennyMan666 on Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:18 am, edited 3 times in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:01 pm 

I'm assuming we were the same place. I wasn't planning on buying anything myself, and most booths had insanely made up price levels, but I did manage to snatch a few things in the end...
All of the Famicom games were taken from a "junk box" of 20 SEK each.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:07 pm 

Mole Mania, got that one very recently myself - superb game!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:19 pm 

I probably paid more for it than I had to, but that goes for every game in there, even the "junk" ones.
But there's just something appealing about the fact that the game is right there for you to grab and buy if you want to shell out. I was really impressed by the stores there. Lots of Japanese games, and almost every platform available. I even saw people selling arcade PCBs (though mostly poor sports games), and tons of MVS. I saw at least two booths selling Twinkle Tale, and one with Magical Chase.

Sweden is amazing. I don't know where else I could go to a huge event with somewhere between seven and ten thousand people all focused on games like this. It's rare to stand in the line for the toilet and randomly hear people behind you chatting casually about one shotting bosses in alien soldier.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:35 pm 

Marvel Land is good stuff. I have it CIB, as well. NAMCOT! It feels like the spirital sequel to Pac Land in some ways.

I first played Goemon via Famicom Mini GBA cart. I enjoyed it quite a bit, though the adjustment for GBA resolution made it harder to tell jumps, which I one reason I have the FC cart (the others are that I like the game and it was cheap). I was surprised to find out that the game has around 8 loops (if I remember correctly).

More bluray/DVD stuff:

Pictured with Guardians of the Galaxy are two of the 30 blu-ray cases I bought from Amazon.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:09 am 

I've wanted this piece of cloth for a long time, now I truly feel like a Triangle Service gang member! 8) Trizeal 4eva!!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:10 am 

Trying to fill in some gaps that I've procrastinated on for far to long.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:45 pm 

Quite the haul Strider. The artwork on Batman and Robin is sick.

Is that version any easier?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:49 pm 

BrianC, which version of The Big Sleep is in that collection? I don't see how anyone can call the 46 version any good. That is a nice haul on movies and shows though!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 12:29 am 

lilmanjs wrote:
BrianC, which version of The Big Sleep is in that collection? I don't see how anyone can call the 46 version any good. That is a nice haul on movies and shows though!

It's the 46 one with Bogart. What's wrong with the Bogart version? The one with Robert Mitchum is generally rated lower and the Bogart one is generally well received. I'm really perplexed by "I don't see how anyone can find this well rated movie good" comments. I'm interested in the movie because I heard good things and liked Bogart in other movies. I plan to watch it and form my own opinion.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 3:54 am 

BrianC wrote:
lilmanjs wrote:

It's the 46 one with Bogart. What's wrong with the Bogart version? The one with Robert Mitchum is generally rated lower and the Bogart one is generally well received. I'm really perplexed by "I don't see how anyone can find this well rated movie good" comments. I'm interested in the movie because I heard good things and liked Bogart in other movies. I plan to watch it and form my own opinion.

That one has a pre-release version as well that is on the stand alone double-sided dvd release. I can see how people favor the 46 version, but the 45/original edit was more straight and to the point for my liking.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 4:49 am 

The box set is actually four seperate DVDs, but the Big Sleep DVD only has the theater version. Ironically, it still includes the comparison of the two versions.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 2:07 pm 

Quote:
Quite the haul Strider. The artwork on Batman and Robin is sick.

Is that version any easier?

Same bat difficulty, same bat rom.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 2:41 pm 

That's too bad. That game is so close to being something truly special.

In my experience once you get to stage 3 it is essentially a 1 life affair.

If you're fully powered up and die after the start of stage 3 you might as well hit reset because recovery appears to be impossible.

Always felt it would have been better and a little easier if you could move while you shoot or if they toned down the enemies just a bit.

Thoughts?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 3:44 pm 

I really love the game. It's fucking insane what the MD is pulling off in the game visually and audio wise. The gameplay is tight and controls well along with a frantic pacing.

But it does become hard to recover later on. The ninja stars SUCK and I hate that it makes use the words suck and ninja stars in the same sentence. I wish that weapon was just removed.

Yeah I suppose I would have your default weapon level be a bit higher from the start. But the game is beatable and I like it quite alot. I haven't played it enough to say if it's truly not beatable if you die after level 3. Back in the day I want to say I was able to but it was really hard to recover. But I may be remembering wrong.

If you lose your weapon level though bosses can become quite the damage sponges.

Last edited by Strider77 on Sun May 07, 2017 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:18 pm 

All this talk makes me want to play it again. Agree with you though - probably the most technically impressive game on the MD.

Red Zone from a technical standpoint is also pretty insane.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:30 am 

Battle-Garegga

Many thanks to Tarma for selling me a copy of BG. I had been meaning to get copy for years but had not gotten around to it.

Cheers.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:19 pm 

Forgot to drop this pic, it's every NES/Famicom game I bought through April (not counting Bio Senshi Dan, Rodland and Ninja-Kun 2 that didn't manage to show up in time). I may have gone a little overboard :S

On top of that, I also got myself US copies of Guardian Legend and Legacy of the Wizard which I already owned in other regions.
And I already have a lot coming in for May as well....

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 3:59 am 

Aha, the seafoam shell of a Famicom Ninja Crusaders! I am always proud to have contributed to the overboardness of fellow enthusiasts. :cool:

Jealous of that Bubble Bobble 2! Would love to hear more about it in the sidescroller thread sometime, you know I am a hapless, catchup-playing noob with Taito single-screeners. ;3

Everybody should play Nazo no Murasamejou. Best murder simulator Nintendo ever made. Muhfuckas be poppin outta the bushes and shiet! Don't run up on me you black pajamas-wearin muhfucka! Image

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:16 am 

I was disappointed to find out there's no blu-ray of Mask of the Phantasm, but the DVD is nice and cheap.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 3:34 pm 

Finally gotta hold of this:

And this also arrived recently:

www.peanutbutterjammatime.com

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:40 pm 

Koyori figure :o Once I knew it existed I had to have it. Being 1/4 scale is just icing on the cake.

Little lewd, so spoilered
Spoiler: show

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:41 pm 

Fucking hell. I like it. :3

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:23 pm 

Well there's some interior decoration with some serious limit to its potential Wife Acceptance Factor

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 2:32 am 

A 'little' lewd? :lol: That's like calling Kill Bill a little violent.

caincan wrote:
it's only a laptop...but you can figure the problem for old games.. dstn, no sound, slowness, lack of fullscreen due to matrix, ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2v7k-wAm2E

the list is scarce, but there are others (like some thinkpad ibm).. and these as this compaq161 are uncommon to fullfill all the requirements , it's the real deal not "dosbox"

Tft mcga/vga fullscreen for gold era of msdos games
Soundblaster compatible w control sound
Pentium speed
Joystick port thru usb/msdos driver

Strike commander runs fullspeed all details on, raptor, tyrian,.. all is smooth & so good :D

I assume this is a Europe thing, because I've never heard WC called 'Strike Commander' until today.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 3:49 pm 

1:4 scale :shock:

Strike Commander is a different game (also by Chris Roberts):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strike_Commander

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 12:07 am 

nem wrote:
1:4 scale :shock:

Strike Commander is a different game (also by Chris Roberts):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strike_Commander

Ah. Never even heard of it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:37 pm 

I had some problems with sharing my images from dropbox, but now they seem to be gone? Let's try again:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:48 pm 

Even though I've had Dracula X in my collection for decades, I still get a hard-on every time I see someone post a picture of theirs. That game deserves so much love.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9597 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 314, 315, 316, 317, 318, 319, 320  Next