shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:48 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9686 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 318, 319, 320, 321, 322, 323  Next
 Post subject: Re: Awesome stuff you've just bought (+pics please)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:28 pm 

We didn't have Games Master here in the states - we had this: It was so bad it was good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_Power

Also on Yt.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:08 pm 

Heh it's funny that you're all taking about classic UK videogame TV. Does anyone remember the Sky1 show 'Gamesworld'? It was on Monday through Friday with each day being a different theme, it's pretty neat. Notable sections are the 'Madam's Pixels Peep Parlour' which was basically 'cheat night' featuring Little Britains David Walliams in different consumes and characters giving you tips and cheats on home console and computers. Another fav was the review night hosted by Sega Powers' Neil West, with guest reviewers featuring: Dominic Diamond, Jazza Rignall and Tim boon.

Funnily enough I found my old VHS in my Mothers attic the other week of the first 6hours (3hr tape in LP) from the very first episode. I have borrowed a VHS-> DVD recorder off a friend and I am currently in the process of ripping them to put on YouTube, because aside from a couple of random episodes the first series isn't on the net anywhere.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:09 am 

Stevens wrote:
We didn't have Games Master here in the states - we had this: It was so bad it was good.

Also on Yt.

We also had a show with a similar name that also fits the "so bad it's good" category, though it was a straight up cartoon rather than a video game game show. Captain N The Game Master.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:10 am 

Larry Bundy Fact Hunt guy started out on Gamesworld. I have a false memory of him being one of the actual characters from the show - I'm probably mixing him up with Big Boy Barry - but he was actually just a contestant on Beat The Elite.

I really remember that cartoon lady Madame Pixel.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:13 am 

BrianC wrote:
Stevens wrote:

Also on Yt.

We also had a show with a similar name that also fits the "so bad it's good" category, though it was a straight up cartoon rather than a video game game show. Captain N The Game Master.

"So bad it's good"?

You must be straight up out of your mind. Captain N was an amazing kids TV show!

ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:45 am 

We had Captain N everywhere. They even dubbed that in Danish here, even though it sounded like they just dragged in some stoned mumbling teenagers from the street and used the first take. Same goes for the Zelda cartoon.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:56 am 

Skykid wrote:
BrianC wrote:
Stevens wrote:

Also on Yt.

"So bad it's good"?

You must be straight up out of your mind. Captain N was an amazing kids TV show!

I may be mistaken since I haven't seen it for awhile, but some of the characters are nothing like their NES counterparts (Simon Belmont especially) and the later episodes paired with the Mario 3 and Super Mario World cartoons pale in comparison to the earlier episodes. I did like it when I watched it, though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:03 am 

It doesn't matter, it's just brilliantly written and fantastic fun. Very entertaining show with a nice TMS animation collaboration in Japan.

ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:12 am 

Tarma wrote:
MintyTheCat wrote:
FinalBaton wrote:

I love it. It was one of the games that 'would be mine' one day as I stood outside Console-Concepts in 1994 watching it in action - they had Last-Resort on the display next to it too.

Top-Hunter may well be one of the most beautiful 2D platformers that easily comes to mind and it has that 'jumping between planes' mechanic. Really nice, lush graphics.
I got mine from a guy in sapporo back in the late 90s way before we were using PayPal; each AES title told its own tale of acquisition back then for me.

Gamesmaster was just fucking awesome... except Season 3 with Dexter Fletcher, which was a bit meh.

I've got the final episode on DVD, it was a freebit with the magazine, donkeys years back.

Did either of you go to Gamesmaster Live at the NEC in late '92?

I did not go on that show but two kids from my school year that I had classes with did go on the GM. Indeed, Fletcher was the proverbial chain-smoking 'cockney' that was a bit much at the time compared to Diamond's elegance.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:16 am 

Ex_Mosquito wrote:
Heh it's funny that you're all taking about classic UK videogame TV. Does anyone remember the Sky1 show 'Gamesworld'? It was on Monday through Friday with each day being a different theme, it's pretty neat. Notable sections are the 'Madam's Pixels Peep Parlour' which was basically 'cheat night' featuring Little Britains David Walliams in different consumes and characters giving you tips and cheats on home console and computers. Another fav was the review night hosted by Sega Powers' Neil West, with guest reviewers featuring: Dominic Diamond, Jazza Rignall and Tim boon.

Funnily enough I found my old VHS in my Mothers attic the other week of the first 6hours (3hr tape in LP) from the very first episode. I have borrowed a VHS-> DVD recorder off a friend and I am currently in the process of ripping them to put on YouTube, because aside from a couple of random episodes the first series isn't on the net anywhere.

My grand mother had Sky and I do recall seeing the "DJ Cat Show" : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_DJ_Kat_Show
They had game sections on and I think I remember seeing a NeoGeo AES sometime in the very early 90s it must have been.

That would be nice to see the episodes and 'go back down memory lane' :) Whenever I look back at the GM or read the old games mags it always takes me back.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:23 am 

There's nothing wrong with Dexter Fletcher - he's a talented chap who was acting since he was a little kid. But the character they asked him to be on GM didn't work for the show and was kind of grating. Not his fault, just not quite the right direction.

He recently directed the Eddie the Eagle movie and did a decent job of it.

ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:26 am 

MintyTheCat wrote:

Whenever I look back at the GM or read the old games mags it always takes me back.

I went to GM Live and it was great fun... never understood why they only ever ran it the once though, it was packed.

I started re-reading some very very early copies of Edge recently, makes facinating reading now, especially around the original launches of the Saturn & PlayStation. 8)

www.peanutbutterjammatime.com

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:39 am 

Tarma wrote:
MintyTheCat wrote:

Whenever I look back at the GM or read the old games mags it always takes me back.

I went to GM Live and it was great fun... never understood why they only ever ran it the once though, it was packed.

I started re-reading some very very early copies of Edge recently, makes facinating reading now, especially around the original launches of the Saturn & PlayStation. 8)

I remember Jason as being "the guy from Superplay" who was involved in early EDGE. GM was well ahead of its time.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:30 pm 

No pictures available yet, but yesterday I made a nice garage sale find: A backward compatible PS3 (the 80gb model) with a controller and 4 games (including MGS4) for $5. On initial assessment it looks like i will probably need to replace the BD drive, but even with that this should end up being quite a bargain.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:08 pm 

Locke has got to be the best made film I watched since the 2011 Eva, so a cheap DVD was needed to commemorate it.

Another must-have, although I couldn't find a cheap DVD this time, for shame. I do have problems with both the film itself (such as Miyazaki's trademark poor female characters development) and this particular release (not a fan of the HD master's "flat" look, something about the colours, or too much clarity, also, the subtitles don't "flow" with the film the way I like), but then I still simply was glad again that it exists, when the show was over.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:31 pm 

Obiwanshinobi wrote:
Another must-have, although I couldn't find a cheap DVD this time, for shame. I do have problems with both the film itself (such as Miyazaki's trademark poor female characters development) and this particular release (not a fan of the HD master's "flat" look, something about the colours, or too much clarity, also, the subtitles don't "flow" with the film the way I like), but then I still simply was glad again that it exists, when the show was over.

The US Blu-ray is all region and doesn't suffer from digital "enhancement". The included DVD is still region 1, though. Not sure where the "poor female character development" is coming from. Miyazaki is known for the opposite. I certainly did not have the impression of "poor female character development" with Porco Rosso.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:43 pm 

Weird, the cheap $3-4 DVD release is the only version of Porco Rosso I've ever seen for sale.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:09 pm 

Heh, Porco Rosso... great film :D

www.peanutbutterjammatime.com

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:25 am 

Studio Ghibli stuff here in the states will be taken over by GKids. Dunno if they will do all-region bluray releases or not, but those english dubs are just piss poor on the Disney releases. Mainly because of the ones I've heard, they've had at least 1 actor from their junk stable of tv shows do a character in the movies. I need to see way more Ghibli stuff though. I've seen so few of them!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:24 am 

I usually watch with subs and skipped the US blurays with dubtitles. I didn't find their dubs to be poor, but I don't like how they go for celebrity movie actors instead of voice actors. However, the dubs often use such notable talent as Patrick Stuart, Michael Keaton, Mark Hamill, Chloris Leachman, Cary Elwes, and Billy Crystal and there haven't been all that many actors from Disney Channel shows. While I preferred the Japanese with subtitles, I found the rest of the performances (especially Patrick Stuart) in the Nausicaa dub to make up for Shia LeBouf.

Gkids also does the celebrity voice thing. Only Yesterday has Daisy Ridley and Dev Patel (though to be fair that one has some voices done by anime and US cartoon voice actors). From Up on Poppy Hill has that guy from Law and Order and The Good Wife (Chris Noth), Sarah Bolger, Emily Osment, Jeff Dunham, Ron Howard, and Jamie Lee Curtis.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:54 pm 

By no means my one and only problem with Porco Rosso, but some of the original, Japanese voice acting leaves a bit to be desired, too. Those aren't professional voice actresses either, are they? Two major females deliver they lines as if nobody directed their recording sessions, or the only clue given to them was the characters' approximate age. In stark contrast to - even pretty average - television anime or OAV, and I don't mean it in Ghibli films' favour.

Then again, I can tell that production of Porco Rosso was troubled and perhaps nobody but Miazaki alone really wanted to make it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:10 am 

Obiwanshinobi wrote:
By no means my one and only problem with Porco Rosso, but some of the original, Japanese voice acting leaves a bit to be desired, too. Those aren't professional voice actresses either, are they? Two major females deliver they lines as if nobody directed their recording sessions, or the only clue given to them was the characters' approximate age. In stark contrast to - even pretty average - television anime or OAV, and I don't mean it in Ghibli films' favour.

Then again, I can tell that production of Porco Rosso was troubled and perhaps nobody but Miazaki alone really wanted to make it.

Not sure what you are talking about here. It has Nami from One Piece, the JP dub voice for Kojak, and the JP voice for Solid Snake in it.

I think you missed my point, as well. I wasn't saying the Disney actors aren't professional. I was saying they go for big name celebrities rather than lesser known actors that are experienced in voice acting. I also disagree that that Disney dubs are piss poor. The majority of actors in them haven't been from their Disney Channel shows. I have seen some poor dubs before (Sailor Moon is a good example) and the Disney Miyazaki dubs I have seen don't come anywhere close.

Last edited by BrianC on Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:22 pm 

Bought the LP. Sounds amazing. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:48 pm 

Got some Criterions from Barnes and Noble's sale, a couple other classic movies, and Ratatouille from Disney Movie Rewards.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:33 pm 

BrianC, do you have the Gamera Showa & Heisei Blu Ray box set?
If you don't I urge you to pick it up.

It's a wonderful thing, it's basically all of the movies in 1 boxset for the first time ever. Previous to that it was difficult for video companies to get the license from both production companies, but now it has finally been done on this 2014 release.

Now if only the same could be done with Godzilla...

Gamera : the Showa & Heisei Collection
The Giant Monster (1965)
Gamera vs. Barugon (1966)
Gamera vs. Gyaos (1967)
Gamera vs. Viras (1968)
Gamera vs. Guiron (1969)
Gamera vs. Jiger (1970)
Gamera vs. Zigra (1971)
Gamera: Super Monster (1980)
Gamera: Guardian of the Universe (1995)
Gamera 2: Attack of Legion (1996)
Gamera 3: Revenge of Iris (1999)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:13 pm 

Quote:
BrianC, do you have the Gamera Showa & Heisei Blu Ray box set?
If you don't I urge you to pick it up.

just be aware that the complete box is massively overpriced. You can get the same four discs seperately (2 single discs + one double disc set) for less than half the price (little over $30 for all BDs on Amazon versus $80 for the boxset with the same discs).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:31 pm 

Fudoh wrote:
just be aware that the complete box is massively overpriced. You can get the same four discs seperately (2 single discs + one double disc set) for less than half the price (little over $30 for all BDs on Amazon versus $80 for the boxset with the same discs).

Uh, I bought the Box set in 2015 for $17.75... (still have the Paypal receipt)

Holy! it has shot up in price like crazy
Thanks for the heads up Fudoh

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:33 am 

kim justice has a few good videos on the uk games tv shows -

gamesmaster
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5qSbqRH39U

games world and bad influence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5qSbqRH39U

misc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmBPxW-qe4o

bits and thumb bandits
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AOv4vYVwa4

consolevania and videogaiden
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AOv4vYVwa4

my memories of console gaming start around 91 was predominantly nintendo between me and my friends there were one or two that had master systems or megadrives but they were definitely the exceptions. i only ever went to one shop when i was younger for games as i luckily had a really good independent retailer called gamezone that was at the end of my street that had two shop units one for new stuff and pcs and one for second hand initially though it went through many changes in the time it was open it lasted until the end of the n64/ps1 era and shut down due to some shady guys opening up a shop 2 doors down from them and undercutting as well as larger chain retailers taking away a lot of their custom as well. they were always well stocked with sega and nintendo both new and second hand and i remember at one point having a neo-geo pocket kiosk in it a true rarity for the uk.

also in glasgow there was ca games that was the place for imports and console mods its the shop in this video (anti drugs add from the late 90s where a kid sells his ps1 for heroin) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_e-wd0h9MU but the guy isn't the one that ran the shop, they shut down around 2006 the guy sold up and went to oz, always a kind of hit and miss place but decently stocked if a bit more pricey than gamezone though i remember them doing me a deal on a new dkc3 on launch day. they are also responsible for this piece of shmups.org gold "4d lizard men with inter-dimensional teleportation capabilities" - http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6648

alas all we have now is g-force games who are a bunch of twats selling bootlegs as originals and offering pennies for trade ins. i took in a bunch of snes carts last year to see what they would offer offered me something like £5-8 for £100+ worth of carts the guy is featured in the first episode of consolevania - damian "I'm not a woman hunter, I'm a games hunter" murray 28.45 -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekQW3GHxgpA&spfreload=10

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:53 am 

BrianC wrote:
Not sure what you are talking about here. It has Nami from One Piece, the JP dub voice for Kojak, and the JP voice for Solid Snake in it.

Whoever the actors (by the way, Tokiko Kato of Gina's voice doesn't seem like much of a voice actress indeed), recording dubs, radio drama or even commercials needs directing. Same as stage play or live action film. That seems missing in Porco Rosso, at least the original, Japanese cast in the roles of Gina and Fio appears left clueless as to what impression they are supposed to give in particular scenes.

I guess the more experienced actors instinctively filled this gap and "directed" their sessions themselves, but Akemi Okamura debuted A.D. 1992, apparently, which would explain her placeholder performance under such circumstances. Budget constraints, presumably.

BrianC wrote:
I was saying they go for big name celebrities rather than lesser known actors that are experienced in voice acting.

Although by Gonzo rather than Disney, by far the worst example of it I've heard was Afro Samurai. Had problems with its animation as well. While I respect Gonzo's various attempts to escape from the anime ghetto sadness, that one was too much of a failure.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:40 pm 

jugemscloud wrote:
also in glasgow there was ca games that was the place for imports and console mods its the shop in this video (anti drugs add from the late 90s where a kid sells his ps1 for heroin) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_e-wd0h9MU but the guy isn't the one that ran the shop, they shut down around 2006 the guy sold up and went to oz, always a kind of hit and miss place but decently stocked if a bit more pricey than gamezone though i remember them doing me a deal on a new dkc3 on launch day. they are also responsible for this piece of shmups.org gold "4d lizard men with inter-dimensional teleportation capabilities" - http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6648

Always nice to see the fell place's existence corroborated. :mrgreen: Legendary bit of forum lore and genuinely a cracking bit of homegrown weird fiction (?) too! Behold the unease of the wider public at hearing even a mere facsimile of the evil tale.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9686 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 318, 319, 320, 321, 322, 323  Next