shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:51 am View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9597 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 316, 317, 318, 319, 320  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Awesome stuff you've just bought (+pics please)
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:14 am 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Feb 2011
Posts: 2779
Location: Denmarku
Christ, the day I got an original Rainbow Islands PCB was the greatest day in my entire age of video game collecting, and you just got it as a part of a huge batch like whatever. (to be fair, I did buy mine along with TGM2 which makes it qualify as the second greatest day as well)
Rainbow Islands is, in my book, the most important arcade game one can own. Sure some good ports exist, but none are arcade perfect, and this is one of the best arcade games ever created.

I can't imagine how much this batch must have set you back, or how you managed to afford it in the first place.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Awesome stuff you've just bought (+pics please)
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:24 am 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2010
Posts: 389
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
the price was fair at the time as I was flying blind. I did not know exactly what I was getting, the condition of the boards and I don't personally know who I was dealing with.

My anxiety was relieved once I started opening up the boxes...two original ghost and goblins! That more than made up what I spent on the bundle. Now I just sit back and enjoy the ride.

The collection is 36 years worth of history...literally games spanning that long. Luckily most are JAMMA boards so I can test it out.

The shocking thing is all the games are in prestine condition and over 90% works.
_________________
My blog is here http://kelvinsgamingheaven.blogspot.com/


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Awesome stuff you've just bought (+pics please)
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:32 am 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Feb 2011
Posts: 2779
Location: Denmarku
Holy f....

Let me know when you sell one of the GnGs. That game is like my last remaining grail. :|


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Awesome stuff you've just bought (+pics please)
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:21 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 5934
Location: MD
Image
Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Awesome stuff you've just bought (+pics please)
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:30 pm 



Joined: 11 Dec 2015
Posts: 452
BrianC wrote:
Image


Very cool. I remember quite liking how the JSA and the Doom Patrol were handled in this series.
_________________
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
Elixir wrote:
Upgrading your PC to play an imperfect port with a bunch of flaws like Mushi is about the dumbest thing I've ever heard.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Awesome stuff you've just bought (+pics please)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:45 am 


User avatar

Joined: 04 Mar 2008
Posts: 1285
Location: Québec
This huge, pretty and loud thing now sits in my living room. It didn't look that big in the store... ;)

Image
_________________
Muchos años después, frente al pelotón de fusilamiento...


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Awesome stuff you've just bought (+pics please)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:50 am 


User avatar

Joined: 10 Jun 2016
Posts: 274
Location: Brazil
KindGrind wrote:
This huge, pretty and loud thing now sits in my living room. It didn't look that big in the store... ;)


Awesome! I would spend whole days sitting there by the piano if had one of those.
With little space, I may have to get a upright piano.
_________________
Image
my music | book | games


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Awesome stuff you've just bought (+pics please)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:01 am 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 5934
Location: MD
WelshMegalodon wrote:
BrianC wrote:
Image


Very cool. I remember quite liking how the JSA and the Doom Patrol were handled in this series.


I also liked the way the series handled Plastic Man much better than the Ruby Spears version. It even managed to somehow make Bat Mite enjoyable (thanks to Pee Wee Herman).


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Awesome stuff you've just bought (+pics please)
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:15 am 


User avatar

Joined: 04 Mar 2008
Posts: 1285
Location: Québec
wgogh wrote:
KindGrind wrote:
This huge, pretty and loud thing now sits in my living room. It didn't look that big in the store... ;)


Awesome! I would spend whole days sitting there by the piano if had one of those.
With little space, I may have to get a upright piano.


Sat at the piano yesterday after it arrived, and forgot to eat lunch and dinner. A majestic instrument, no doubt. =)
_________________
Muchos años después, frente al pelotón de fusilamiento...


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Awesome stuff you've just bought (+pics please)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:29 am 


User avatar

Joined: 11 Apr 2012
Posts: 664
Location: Germany
rugdoctor wrote:
Arcade boards . Details in my blog...

40 boards in 2 days exhausted me. Taking time off to regain feelings in my fingers and toes.


Where did you get them and what did you pay?
_________________
My PCB Collection (13): Cyvern, Akuu Gallet, Fire Shark, Truxton 2, Dogyuun, Vimana, V-V, Outzone, Phelios, R-Type Leo, DoDonPachi, Dragon Breed, Daisenpuu


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Awesome stuff you've just bought (+pics please)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:21 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Feb 2005
Posts: 1717
Location: Wigan, England.
Just treated myself to the Super Castlevania IV soundtrack on double vinyl. Not overly impressed with the artwork if I'm honest, but the vinyl itself (silver with red splatter for my copy) is 180gm and house in nice anti static sleeves. Will be listening loudly later.
_________________
XBL: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Awesome stuff you've just bought (+pics please)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:19 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 10 Oct 2008
Posts: 1307
Location: Lawrence, Kansas
Akai Katana for $1 at the library sale. Might not be the best game, but a steal for that price. Picked up a region 3 release of Oshin and The Sweeney, both on dvd.
_________________
Image
http://cfmlabel.com
https://soundcloud.com/deepwarmth


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Awesome stuff you've just bought (+pics please)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:27 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Feb 2011
Posts: 2779
Location: Denmarku
I'm sure people would pay at least $3 or $4 for the PCB.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Awesome stuff you've just bought (+pics please)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:42 pm 



Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 7513
To snag a Cave SH-3 PCB of Akai Katana at that attractive pricepoint'd be like buying it for "mere pennies on the dollar", one might say.

I recall a very lucky shmupper whom managed to score a Cave ESP.ra.de. PCB for a mere $75.00 USD off of one arcade game forum (despite the seller not knowing it's true worth).

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Awesome stuff you've just bought (+pics please)
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:55 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 20 May 2011
Posts: 859
Location: Bay Area, California
Gunbird 2
Image

1943: Battle of Midway, planning on converting this to Kai
Image

Serviced GCW:Zero w/ new dpad, analog nub and buttons, plus quieter tact switches for Start/Select.
Vextrex microsd multicart, de-buzz kit, repair components.
Image
_________________
The Artcade blog


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Awesome stuff you've just bought (+pics please)
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:51 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 31 Jan 2005
Posts: 13142
Location: Chicago
rugdoctor wrote:
Arcade boards . Details in my blog...

40 boards in 2 days exhausted me. Taking time off to regain feelings in my fingers and toes.


I just saw this blog post. Holy shit -- that's amazing. Congrats on the find. Did it come w/ panels for the non-standard controller games like Lost World and Heavy Barrel?
_________________
RegalSin wrote:
New PowerPuff Girls. They all have evil pornstart eyelashes.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Awesome stuff you've just bought (+pics please)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:35 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 12 Jul 2007
Posts: 5021
Location: Where the fish lives, WV
KindGrind wrote:
This huge, pretty and loud thing now sits in my living room. It didn't look that big in the store... ;)



Very classy.
_________________
My Collection: http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/col ... Collection


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Awesome stuff you've just bought (+pics please)
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:31 am 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 5934
Location: MD
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Awesome stuff you've just bought (+pics please)
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:11 am 


User avatar

Joined: 10 Oct 2008
Posts: 1307
Location: Lawrence, Kansas
That Original Star Trek movie pack an upgrade? If so, don't get rid of the dvd for Star Trek VI. They went with the theatrical version for the blu-rays. So I'm still on the hunt for the original home release that has all the extra stuff. Still a nice haul of stuff there, especially the muppets movies!
_________________
Image
http://cfmlabel.com
https://soundcloud.com/deepwarmth


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Awesome stuff you've just bought (+pics please)
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:38 am 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 5934
Location: MD
I don't have the movies on DVD and I got the set for about 21 dollars thanks to an Amazon prime day deal. Might still double dip on II, but II and VI are still great movies, even without the added scenes.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Awesome stuff you've just bought (+pics please)
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:23 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 10 Oct 2008
Posts: 1307
Location: Lawrence, Kansas
BrianC wrote:
I don't have the movies on DVD and I got the set for about 21 dollars thanks to an Amazon prime day deal. Might still double dip on II, but II and VI are still great movies, even without the added scenes.

That's $1 more than I paid at walmart for the set, but still, I'm glad the directors cut of II got put out on bluray as well. VI is a great movie in both forms, but would of been nice to include both versions.
_________________
Image
http://cfmlabel.com
https://soundcloud.com/deepwarmth


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Awesome stuff you've just bought (+pics please)
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:11 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 19 Feb 2008
Posts: 2624
Location: ND, USA
Got myself an Onkyo A-9010 amplifier today. Needed to start building a system for my turntable, and started here so I didn't have to run it through my laptop via USB just to listen. Of course, as it's a USB turntable it a bit shit - so it's now time for an upgrade.

The Onkyo is a bit bigger than I expected, but it's all right because it's big enough to just set the turntable on. It's quite good, and I think it'll be in my possession for a long time.
_________________
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and pic/replay hosting! | My score history on RS


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Awesome stuff you've just bought (+pics please)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:12 am 


User avatar

Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 1406
Location: Germany, Berlin
AV modded famicom

A friend of mine mods famicoms and after getting the correct connectors for the BVM all works fine :)
Finally I am able to play FC games on the native hardware. I actually play the FC the most and have done so for several years now. No one I knew had a FC/NES growing up as England was more 'SEGA' back then but there are some fantastic games. I have a fairly small but nice collection of NES and FC titles already.

Cheers.
_________________
More Bromances = safer people


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Awesome stuff you've just bought (+pics please)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:28 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Nov 2007
Posts: 17010
Location: Planet Dust Asia
MintyTheCat wrote:
AV modded famicom

A friend of mine mods famicoms and after getting the correct connectors for the BVM all works fine :)
Finally I am able to play FC games on the native hardware. I actually play the FC the most and have done so for several years now. No one I knew had a FC/NES growing up as England was more 'SEGA' back then but there are some fantastic games. I have a fairly small but nice collection of NES and FC titles already.

Cheers.


What part of England did you grow up in? Everyone I knew had a NES and I was one of two people with a Master System. Ultimately I ended up playing a lot more NES.
_________________
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Awesome stuff you've just bought (+pics please)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:16 am 


User avatar

Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 1406
Location: Germany, Berlin
Skykid wrote:
MintyTheCat wrote:
AV modded famicom

A friend of mine mods famicoms and after getting the correct connectors for the BVM all works fine :)
Finally I am able to play FC games on the native hardware. I actually play the FC the most and have done so for several years now. No one I knew had a FC/NES growing up as England was more 'SEGA' back then but there are some fantastic games. I have a fairly small but nice collection of NES and FC titles already.

Cheers.


What part of England did you grow up in? Everyone I knew had a NES and I was one of two people with a Master System. Ultimately I ended up playing a lot more NES.

England was way more SEGA than nintendo. I was living very close to Console Concepts and saw NeoGeos and PC Engines in the flesh. It was pretty good to see things. I think most people kind of regarded the NES as the poorer option. I think you may well be one of the "Southerners" though so it may well have been some what different for you :)
_________________
More Bromances = safer people


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Awesome stuff you've just bought (+pics please)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:40 am 


User avatar

Joined: 24 Jan 2017
Posts: 36
Location: Korea
I wanted a NES but received an Amstrad instead for Christmas :cry:
_________________
Japanese STG difficulty wiki (translated by vvv_stg) --> viewtopic.php?f=1&t=56114#


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Awesome stuff you've just bought (+pics please)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:53 am 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Feb 2011
Posts: 2779
Location: Denmarku
You'd have to be retarded to consider the NES a worse option than any other 8-bit console ever created. And I'm saying that as a huge PC Engine lover.
The Master System is cool and all, but holy shit does it not have a single thing on the incredible library of NES Games. At least the SNES/MegaDrive debate is a lot easier to justify.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Awesome stuff you've just bought (+pics please)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:37 am 


User avatar

Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 1406
Location: Germany, Berlin
Sumez wrote:
You'd have to be retarded to consider the NES a worse option than any other 8-bit console ever created. And I'm saying that as a huge PC Engine lover.
The Master System is cool and all, but holy shit does it not have a single thing on the incredible library of NES Games. At least the SNES/MegaDrive debate is a lot easier to justify.

I think by the time the NES took off we were pretty much into the 16bit era. The Megadrive was very successful back then in England.

I think that the PCE beats the NES for Shmups personally but the NES/FC have really good platformers that I quite like.
Hardware wise the NES is pretty poor. The PCE beats the pants off it.

Technical and cultural differences aside, it doesn't explain the impact that marketing plays in a given region. I think the US preferred the Megadrive/Genesis to the Super nintendo back then too. It is all swings and round-abouts really.
_________________
More Bromances = safer people


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Awesome stuff you've just bought (+pics please)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:30 am 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Nov 2007
Posts: 17010
Location: Planet Dust Asia
MintyTheCat wrote:
Skykid wrote:
MintyTheCat wrote:
AV modded famicom

A friend of mine mods famicoms and after getting the correct connectors for the BVM all works fine :)
Finally I am able to play FC games on the native hardware. I actually play the FC the most and have done so for several years now. No one I knew had a FC/NES growing up as England was more 'SEGA' back then but there are some fantastic games. I have a fairly small but nice collection of NES and FC titles already.

Cheers.


What part of England did you grow up in? Everyone I knew had a NES and I was one of two people with a Master System. Ultimately I ended up playing a lot more NES.

England was way more SEGA than nintendo. I was living very close to Console Concepts and saw NeoGeos and PC Engines in the flesh. It was pretty good to see things. I think most people kind of regarded the NES as the poorer option. I think you may well be one of the "Southerners" though so it may well have been some what different for you :)


From London, yep. We were surrounded by gaming import stores left right and centre and saw the emergence and death of everything firsthand, and I can assure you when it came to 8-bit, most people had a NES.

It's true that the Master System actually had a market in Europe, unlike anywhere else, but nearly everyone I knew had it as an additional console if they had one at all.
_________________
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Awesome stuff you've just bought (+pics please)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:42 am 


User avatar

Joined: 24 Jan 2011
Posts: 1121
Location: Guildford, UK
It had a great run as a budget console here in the UK - games topped out at £30/33 whereas for the Mega Drive typically you were looking at £45/50. Almost everyone I knew had one though - often as an only console but also frequently alongside a Mega Drive. A handful of cool kids had a SNES but the SMS was very popular through being an affordable option.

It was really well supported by retailers in the early 90s whereas the NES had been pretty much abandoned in favour of the SNES. I don't recall seeing many NES titles in shops and even the few kids I knew that had one basically just had Duck Hunt and Mario/2/3.
_________________
Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9597 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 316, 317, 318, 319, 320  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BryanM, quash and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group