shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:59 am View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:48 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Posts: 4025
Location: Planet Doom's spaceport
Taken from the House of the Dead 2+3 review on 1up.

Quote:
Unfortunately, Return is mired by a cardinal sin in an arcade-to-console port, one which interrupts the zombie-shooting fun: no infinite continues. If I'm playing The House of the Dead 2 in the arcade, nothing's stopping me from dropping another quarter in the slot after I've died five times. Unfortunately, this isn't the case with the Wii version. The only way you're going to get more than five continues here is by unlocking them through failed attempts at beating the game. Perhaps you'll find enjoyment in grinding through the same portion of the game over and over -- only to fail after some enemy gets a cheap, quarter-stealing hit on you -- but there's no reason you shouldn't get infinite continues the moment you buy a retail version of an arcade game.
_________________
Feedback will set you free.
captpain wrote:
Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:55 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 5253
Location: Ari-Freaking-Zona!
Jesus Christ Resurrected.

Have infinite continues? "The game is too easy as you can continue right where you left and therefore it gets robbed of any challenge, blah blah blah, malarkey, arcades are dead and I'm so gay for Zack in FF7 Crisis Core...."

No unlimited continues?"The game is too hard and it robs you of any fun raping you brutally in the ass hoping to appeal to the now-defunct breed of hardcore gamers of the dead arcades and I'm so gay for Zack in FF7 Crisis Core and I want him to rape me in the ass, blah blah blah, malarkey..."

Rando Moment approaching fast.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: x10
_________________
"Alimony is just another tool of the patriarchy!" - Said no woman ever.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:58 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 25 Jan 2006
Posts: 954
Location: Australia
What Specineff said.
_________________
Image
EIGHT FORCES STRATEGY GUIDE AND DATA COLLECTION


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:59 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2005
Posts: 2977
Location: Kansas
Quote:
Perhaps you'll find enjoyment in grinding through the same portion of the game over and over -- only to fail after some enemy gets a cheap, quarter-stealing hit on you -- but there's no reason you shouldn't get infinite continues the moment you buy a retail version of an arcade game.


Christ...it's not like they're talking about a 40-hour long RPG. If it feels like grinding, you probably shouldn't be playing. I wonder what they would have said about the item-collection mode in HOD2 DC? "There's no reason you should have to go through the game again to collect all the items."

Also, I love how they mention the "Cardinal Sin". They bitch that it's too easy if there is infinite continues, they bitch that it's too hard if there isn't.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:05 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Posts: 6190
You just can't win with those reviewers....
_________________
Randorama wrote:
ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!


SHMUP sale page.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:09 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Posts: 4025
Location: Planet Doom's spaceport
CMoon wrote:
You just can't win with those reviewers....


Commenter from 1up says...
Quote:
Video game reviewers are worthless.


I agree.
_________________
Feedback will set you free.
captpain wrote:
Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:29 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 15 Dec 2007
Posts: 1025
Poor Spadgy.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:29 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 08 Dec 2005
Posts: 18067
Location: uoıʇɐɹnƃıɟuoɔ ɯǝʇsʎs
Acid King wrote:
Commenter from 1up says...
Quote:
Video game reviewers are worthless.


I agree.

I also agree.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:32 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 15 Feb 2007
Posts: 774
Location: Evansville, IN
Disgusting :x
_________________
Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:42 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Nov 2005
Posts: 2550
Imagine how the Metal Slug ports would have been reviewed without infinite credits. I think the only reason these games are kind of popular with mainstream gamers is because they can blast their way through this game in what is practically god mode.

God forbid these video game reviewers have to actually try hard. It makes you wonder if this lazy, easily-frustrated behaviour only applies to videogames for these people or if they act like that otherwise, too. "These weights are flawed and worthless - why should I have to lift them and break into sweat if all I want is huge muscles?"


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:05 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Posts: 4025
Location: Planet Doom's spaceport
FrederikJurk wrote:
Imagine how the Metal Slug ports would have been reviewed without infinite credits. I think the only reason these games are kind of popular with mainstream gamers is because they can blast their way through this game in what is practically god mode.



Yeah, but at the same time, some of those same people use it as an excuse not to play the game anymore because it's "too easy". In the thread linked from the Ikaruga XBLA thread, one of the posters said that he was glad he had to earn credits because otherwise he would just credit feed through it the first play through and never play it again.
_________________
Feedback will set you free.
captpain wrote:
Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:27 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 10 May 2007
Posts: 9417
Location: COLONY
It's like a terrible actualisation of Alien Soldier with a lot of mainstream views on credits.

SUPEREASY <-- --> SUPERHARD

I remember EGM brushing off Metal Slug 4+5 for the PS2 due to free play... the most positive attitude seems to be "give me free play so I can bitch about it, that's much better than this frustration." Often they don't seem to be aware of any middle ground, or why anyone would stick to it.
_________________
Image
THE MIRAGE OF MIND Metal Black ST | THE MASSACRE Gun.Smoke ST [BIRU471AM]
THE DEVIL AND THE PRIEST CAN'T EXIST IF ONE GOES AWAY


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:50 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 23 Nov 2006
Posts: 2833
The problem is that with deadlines, if these people played arcade games like they're supposed to we'd be getting reviews of level 1, but it'd be slightly less a waste of time to read it.

By the way I've started using the name arcade rapist I think it describes the mindset of these people better.
_________________
MegaShock! | @ YouTube | Latest Update: Metal Slug No Up Lever No Miss


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:18 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 27 Jan 2005
Posts: 927
Location: Youngstown OH, USA
FrederikJurk wrote:
God forbid these video game reviewers have to actually try hard.


That's the great thing about video game magazines and sites these days, you don't necessarily have to be good at video games to get a position. Just recently Games Radar did a video comparing ridiculously basic Street Fighter II Turbo combos with ridiculously basic Street Fighter IV combos. Horribly beginner combos are tried and 'Granted, we didn't check the ultra-hardcore re-dizzy combos' is their excuse for anything over four hits. But they probably don't know any re-dizzies, anyways.
_________________
Image
now tighter than your sister


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:54 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 7554
Location: Alaska
crithit5000 wrote:
That's the great thing about video game magazines and sites these days, you don't necessarily have to be good at video games to get a position.

Or write well or, really, anything.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:56 pm 



Joined: 18 Oct 2007
Posts: 2182
Lawl.

Freeplay=bitch because it's too easy
Finite continues=bitch because I can't win on one credit like those lifeless bastards do

Or something like that.
_________________
SURELY REVIVE


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:23 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 27 Jan 2005
Posts: 927
Location: Youngstown OH, USA
Rob wrote:
crithit5000 wrote:
That's the great thing about video game magazines and sites these days, you don't necessarily have to be good at video games to get a position.

Or write well or, really, anything.


I thought about saying that, but that sort of thing is a bit issue laden. You or I could go to GameSpot or Kotaku and have a laugh at the writing, but Average Joe on the Internets or lil' Jimmy might actually find their prose to be completely enthralling and informative. Writing for their intended audience (in most cases, fratboy gamers and complete idiots that like to argue on the internet) is something they usually do well.
_________________
Image
now tighter than your sister


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:28 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Feb 2006
Posts: 5013
there's also the unwritten game reviewer rule that 2d or unconventional gameplay on a modern non-portable platform = max score of 8 (or 9 on a good day) or else publishers of absolutely !!FANTASTIC!! games like FEAR and Crysis with their obviously evolved graphics engines^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h gameplay will get mad at you

the problem is even worse in famitsu, trust me. just replace fear and crysis with dragon quest and SMT and omit the graphics engines part and add a whole lot of blatant (not implied, no they don't beat around the bush here) payola
_________________
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:32 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 08 Dec 2005
Posts: 18067
Location: uoıʇɐɹnƃıɟuoɔ ɯǝʇsʎs
seriously

"this is great old fashioned gameplay, and thus PURE SHIT SORRY go enjoy the latest direct-to-DVD graphical adventure from the boys at Barking Dog Entertainment / Crave"


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:04 am 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Mar 2008
Posts: 4143
Location: Brazil
They say the same crap when there's no save feature. Like God Hand.

Have any of you guys tried it? Every review out there says the game is so hard you shouldn't bother with it. But if you put less than half the commitment you put into clearing shmups, you finish it in a couple of weeks, even on hard. And yet it's considered one of the hardest games ever.

Seriously, WTF :?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:12 am 


User avatar

Joined: 23 Nov 2006
Posts: 2833
Needs frame-by-frame quicksaving.
_________________
MegaShock! | @ YouTube | Latest Update: Metal Slug No Up Lever No Miss


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:14 am 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Feb 2006
Posts: 3677
why on earth do you people read reviews on the internet?
_________________
RegalSin wrote:
Videogames took my life away like the Natives during colonial times.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:17 am 


User avatar

Joined: 27 Jan 2005
Posts: 927
Location: Youngstown OH, USA
Why on earth does anyone read anything on the internet?
_________________
Image
now tighter than your sister


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:13 am 


User avatar

Joined: 08 Dec 2005
Posts: 18067
Location: uoıʇɐɹnƃıɟuoɔ ɯǝʇsʎs
crithit5000 wrote:
Why on earth does anyone read anything on the internet?

What you say?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:23 am 



Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 347
Location: Eastham, MA
This, in turn, makes me wonder what happened to Hardcore Gamer. In their review of Ultimate Ghosts 'n' Goblins, for example, the reviewer admitted that there WERE unlimited continues, but derided that option as unworthy of consideration.

Meanwhile, I'm reminded of an old Fox Trot strip where Andy is asking Jason how he's doing with the Star Wars game (he got it as a Christmas present) he's playing. Jason responds that he's not playing; rather, he's testing every joystick/button configuration he can think of to find cheat codes. Once he's put them on the Internet, and received all the other cheats, THEN he'll play in earnest (i.e. with all the cheats active). As Andy mutters "SOMEONE'S going to get a lot of board games next Christmas", Jason continues "What's the point of playing if I don't win every time?".

This sort of situation DOES make me wonder what most modern game magazines think winning a game is supposed to signify.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:32 am 


User avatar

Joined: 27 Jan 2005
Posts: 927
Location: Youngstown OH, USA
Skyknight wrote:
This, in turn, makes me wonder what happened to Hardcore Gamer.


They're now a quarterly magazine, which basically means they'll be completely nonexistant by next year probably.
_________________
Image
now tighter than your sister


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:16 am 


User avatar

Joined: 16 Feb 2006
Posts: 5077
Location: Canada
JoshF wrote:
Needs frame-by-frame quicksaving.


Want a game that literally requires frame-by-frame quicksaving? This is the game for you : http://nightbug.net/mario/air/airmenu.html


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:18 am 



Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 347
Location: Eastham, MA
{sigh} Why is it that the magazines that know how to appreciate the old and the arcane ALONG WITH the new and familiar are the ones that tend to collapse? How is appreciating all four inferior to appreciating just the new and the familiar? (Readers ARE looking for as wide a range of games to consider, yes? What do they do when--not if, WHEN--they want a break from the usual?)


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:55 am 


User avatar

Joined: 31 Jan 2005
Posts: 13221
Location: Chicago
Major publications suck... ass.... totally. They're worthless. They generally play games "on the surface" and don't attack a single one. The reviews are usually after a few hours (at most, often less) and therefore aren't reviews, but rather impressions. I realize that not all of 1UPs reviewers are complete morons (some even post here, and have more than enough clues), but realistically, and sadly, Johnny console gamer wants those infinite continues, and the review benefits by the reviewer crying about them.
_________________
RegalSin wrote:
New PowerPuff Girls. They all have evil pornstart eyelashes.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:37 am 



Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 347
Location: Eastham, MA
{quiet chuckle} My point was, once Johnny GETS those infinite continues, what's the next thing he wants? (AFTER he has his quota of FMV's, special effects, etc.)

I imagine even the mainstream gamer gets sated with the flash and wants something of lasting substance. Why can't the mass publications cleave to that to some degree?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: __SKYe, Google [Bot] and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group