shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:29 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 234, 235, 236, 237, 238
 Post subject: Re: Recommended Anime/Manga?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:34 pm 

ZacharyB : Thank you for the explanation. :)
The scene makes a little bit more sense. But with that in mind, I think the cultural reference still actively hinders the joke about Yuuko being confused, as there is no clear comedic dynamic between the two characters and the joke about Japanese politeness butts in whenever I expect the Yuuko joke to be actively strengthened by the clerk's behavior. Besides, the politeness comes across as crippling social anxiety instead due to the overexaggeration. Damn, I am probably overanalyzing all this... :lol:

I guess it's the kind of humor that works better with people who can catch all those references and find them relatable? But I still believe there are fundamental issues in timing, pacing and audiovisual presentation in general that cultural references can't justify.

BryanM wrote:
While on the topic of gag series, I'll reiterate that I enjoyed The Disastrous Life of Saiki K. For the longest time I put it off since I found the cover art and main character's design so repulsive on the surface. The series itself never lingers too long on any one story, moving on within 2 to 6 minutes, and whenever the one note characters begin to get stale, introduces new ones. The main character's consistent mild disappointment with the world is a refreshing tone as well.

I have this series on my (ever-growing) plan-to-watch list, and the bolded in the quote may make me check it out sooner than I thought!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:17 am 

Only on the third episode, but I'm enjoying Time Bokan 24 so far. Immensely goofy.
my girlfriend watched an episode with me and she hated it, the jokes were too corny for her :lol:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:20 pm 

Manga I've read over the couple months:

Jiraishin is a collection of noir detective stories set in Shinjuku, Tokyo, which follow the exploits of hard-boiled detective Kyoya Iida as he unravels the mystery behind any murders he comes into contact with, because he doesn't want to lose. It's a pretty cliché set-up and almost plays like a darker manga adaptation of a cop show, but the handled cases cases get quite interesting and show many different aspects of human psychology of what causes man to kill others. Iida is usually stone cold, but shows brief glimpses of emotion where it counts. What helps realize this dark world is how the artstyle can switch from matter-of-fact realism to abstract in a minute depending on what's happening. The A-KIRA case is probably the best of Jiraishin both visually and narratively. A sequel named Jiraishin Diablo was made ten years later after the end of the original run, but it was unfortunately never fully translated.

Molester Man is a manga based on a series of threads and posts posted by a 2ch poster who called himself Molester Man, as he details the events of how he accidentally got arrested under suspicion of being a stalker (thus earning him the name Molester Man) and how he got romantically involved with the friends of the woman who mistook him for a stalker, while sperging out on 2ch for advice and hiding his NEET life. The feels are still real though, and quite worth reading despite the rough artwork.

Fire Punch is the most bizarre manga I've read in some time, largely because its tone constantly shifts from place to place. The world is covered in perpetual snow, everyone has slowly gone insane, and whatever societies have formed are ass-backwards. It follows the exploits of a boy with the ability to regenerate, but is lit on fire by a flame which can never go out, putting him in a perpetual cycle of pain, flame, and regeneration for several years until he has his body has grown to that of an adult and can withstand the pain enough to walk on his two feet. He sets out to find his lost sister, but gets mixed up with a woman who calls herself the Director, and wants to shoot a movie out of boredom with the burning man starring as the protagonist/antagonist who must become Fire Punch, while everybody else around here thinks she's mental. What ensues are training montages starring Fire Ejaculator, caravan ride fight scenes, giant robot fights, suffering of the highest degree, transsexuality, every sin possible, giant spirit trees filled with the desire to create a world where more Star Wars sequels are made, and general insanity. One thing is for certain, the paneling sure is great.

Franken Fran follows a set of horror-comedy stories starring the titular Franken Fran, a kind of Frankenstein-monster girl who is a genius doctor and runs her own clinic with her bio-horror assistants. The first half of the stories follow a set-up similar to the Fujiko wish-granting stories where a patient asks Fran to perform an impossible operation on him so his wish can be granted, but with tragic consequences. What's commendable is the amount of medical homework the mangaka has done, each impossible operation is backed up by a medical explanation which kind of makes sense. The gore has some incredible attention to detail as well and doesn't look like random entrails and blood sticking out of a human body, which kind of adds to the pseudo-authenticity. The bio-horror experiments get all kinds of ridiculous, with women who loved fish so much she got turned into a giant whale before washing up ashore, cloning experiments gone horribly wrong, a religious cult operating an entire factory which operates exactly like the human body while feeding it the appropriate materials, Kamen Rider wannabes who in the end are trying to save the earth by ridding it from humans, the joys of plastic surgery, and patients addicted to surgery. Later stories introduce new characters and start deviating from the wish-granting formula to medical mystery which is still quite interesting on its own. Unfortunately the manga ended prematurely, so the new characters ended up falling short. Still a great read.

Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:48 am 

The name Molester Man caught my attention and ended up reading the whole post. I think I'll try one of those.
Its been a long time since Ive read a manga, but Fire Punch seems to be the Junji Ito level of crazyness, wich is great.

(btw, my Ito's favorite must be Black Paradox)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:26 pm 

Aho Girl and Tsurezure Children have an anime now. Aho Girl looks good, but Tsurezure's animation is pretty weak, unfortunately.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:40 am 

Discovered a new series. They're minute long episodes.

Aggressive Retsuko. A red panda works in an office and has to deal with her annoying coworkers. She does this by singing death metal.

It's fucking hilarious. And usually painfully relatable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLQZtkn83xk

I have been binge watching the shit out of this all night.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:21 pm 

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017- ... adaptation
Splatoon anime, might be fun.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:03 pm 

The wildly diverging versions of the future are always amusing.

In Overlord, the world is this horrible anarcho-capitalist paradise, where the conglomerates had long ago succeeded in killing off the government. The air is poison, it's impossible to live except as a slave to the corporations. Everyone's family members tend to die at around 40 from overwork. (Which makes me wonder why the "has to be a productive member of society" provision in Overlord's guild exists. If you're not a wagie, you're a bandit guy in a spacesuit trying to scrape together enough food and oxygen to keep breathing. Little free time to VRMMORPG, you'd think.)

The worst impact of this is, of course, the very poor quality of video games. It's 100 years in the future, and it's extremely crude. About as good as today, except for some slightly better haptic feedback: still pushing buttons to use skills, NPCs barely have any scripts let alone simulated AI, just the worst.

In contrast, in Hero without Blood or Tear, it's only a mere 50 years in the future and everyone has basic income, the games are full dive (with time acceleration to boot), and NPCs have AI. RPGs have advanced to the point of having actual score systems, where people compete for score. True madness.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:59 pm 

BryanM wrote:
In Overlord, the world is this horrible anarcho-capitalist paradise, where the conglomerates had long ago succeeded in killing off the government. The air is poison, it's impossible to live except as a slave to the corporations. Everyone's family members tend to die at around 40 from overwork.

:shock: And here i thought it just another .hack clone, that's a very grim dystopia.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:07 pm 

BryanM wrote:
In Overlord, the world is this horrible anarcho-capitalist paradise, where the conglomerates had long ago succeeded in killing off the government. The air is poison, it's impossible to live except as a slave to the corporations. Everyone's family members tend to die at around 40 from overwork. (Which makes me wonder why the "has to be a productive member of society" provision in Overlord's guild exists. If you're not a wagie, you're a bandit guy in a spacesuit trying to scrape together enough food and oxygen to keep breathing. Little free time to VRMMORPG, you'd think.)

The worst impact of this is, of course, the very poor quality of video games. It's 100 years in the future, and it's extremely crude. About as good as today, except for some slightly better haptic feedback: still pushing buttons to use skills, NPCs barely have any scripts let alone simulated AI, just the worst.

A world where gatcha developers and Steam Greenlight managed to triumph over anything just for the profit, muh profit.

BryanM wrote:
In contrast, in Hero without Blood or Tear, it's only a mere 50 years in the future and everyone has basic income, the games are full dive (with time acceleration to boot), and NPCs have AI. RPGs have advanced to the point of having actual score systems, where people compete for score. True madness.

I guess this author knows that China will make good enough games to compete with koreans and japaneses, but it could be wishful thinking.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:02 pm 

Last time I was there every Chinese I've talked games with was into some wuxia mmo shit, today apparently it's eSports all the way with the most played online games period.

I don't think anyone there has any fucks left to spare for non-massive-multiplayer soft. SkyKid could probably tell us more about the current trends though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:39 am 

Xyga wrote:
Last time I was there every Chinese I've talked games with was into some wuxia mmo shit, today apparently it's eSports all the way with the most played online games period.

I don't think anyone there has any fucks left to spare for non-massive-multiplayer soft. SkyKid could probably tell us more about the current trends though.

All the kids are still into Wuxia MMO shit, or League of Legends or Warcraft. LoL is pervasive.

Game Centers live on as casual entertainment zones for the family, but pocketed by guys who are diehard pros on select racing games and all the dancing and music cabinets; usually what every the latest Korean or Japanese thing is (yesterday was time sequenced cubes, today it's streaking fingers across oval screens).

King of Fighters lives on in all of these places, some more prominently than others - but that scene has taken a hit and downsized from when I first arrived. What they did to the DariusBurst cabinet was some kind of criminal act.

ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:31 am 

I was a bit afraid you would report something like that, not too surprised except that KOF still isn't 100% dead lol.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 234, 235, 236, 237, 238