shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:52 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 260, 261, 262, 263, 264, 265, 266 ... 271  Next
 Post subject: Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:37 am 

False :3

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:45 am 

Mischief Maker wrote:
The developers of Yooka Laylee got embroiled in a political mess after dropping a youtuber from their game's voice talent because he was (maybe falsely?) accused of advocating for the alt-right.

Now I can't trust any reviews for this game. Is the gameplay good, or are you just supporting standing up to the alt right? Is the camera bad, or are you just showing solidarity against SJW oppression? Just tell me if the goddamn game is any good!

Then I mention this predicament on a forum whose opinions I normally trust, and the thread devolves into an argument over whether or not the guy really is alt-right. ARGH!

Well he's made racist statements (and persisted pretty hard) by himself, using his personal account. Of course him being a public figure how could the audience ignore the story?
He shot himself in the foot and is even more screwed than PDP at this point, let's say that like the latter he lost the respect of tons of people, and earned the sympathy of a different crowd like the alt-right pos among others at the same time.
The internet being what it is you can guess it'll never be over, thankfully there are plenty of other sources. ^^

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:32 am 

Sumez wrote:
False :3

^^

muh childhood :|

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:52 am 

Squire Grooktook wrote:
that little sub-genre is a best-forgotten relic of the rough early days of 3d-gaming. The 3d side of the medium improved once it grew out of and ditched that formula.

This is the problem with Yooka-Laylee, I think. It doesn't help the jontron event made some SJW or SJW sympathiser game reviewers shit on the game, but they would probably shit on it anyway, unless they had nostalgia googles on.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:14 am 

I see we're now doing exactly what annoyed Mischief by talking about the drama not the game.

But for the interest of clarification, people are slamming the game for dropping him due to drama, not having him there in the first place.

The game looks like it's nostalgia pandering far too much, but i'd probably try it if they fix technical issues.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:18 pm 

In the end it was that dunkie review that decided me against Yooka Laylee.

So I spent half the money on The Signal from Tolva instead and while I'm not blown away, I am having fun.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:13 pm 

I don't know if Mario 64 could be considered a collect-a-thon but I loved (and still love) that game, though it's impossible for me to get into stuff like Banjo or DK64 that seem to take some of the general design ideas from SM64 and go way too overboard with them.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:58 pm 

Upgrading to a new browser version turned the text on this forum to the size of peanuts for me.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:15 pm 

M.Knight wrote:
I don't know if Mario 64 could be considered a collect-a-thon but I loved (and still love) that game, though it's impossible for me to get into stuff like Banjo or DK64 that seem to take some of the general design ideas from SM64 and go way too overboard with them.

I'm the same way, though you could add Super Mario Sunshine and the first Ape Escape to those I like. Banjo-Kazooie approach didn't grab me, and then Tooie and DK64 just exacerbated its flaws.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:17 pm 

i outright adore ape escape (/saru! get you!), but i would not classify it as a collect-a-thon. each of the monkies have this neat little identify-plan-execute process you go through to get them, whether it be quick or slow, that i feel almost sticks it in its own genre somewhere between 3d platformer and very active stealth action. maps are small, objectives are pretty tight, the only "collectibles" (specter coins) are entirely optional.

i consider games like banjo kazooie, earlier 3d mario (64/sunshine), dk64, et cetera, to be "collect-a-thon" 3d platformers. there's a serious passivity to the design that i feel classifies them as distinctly more about the collecting than the platforming or action. every thing you do in those games tends to be collection oriented with relatively mundane action/involvement, which i also feel distinguishes them slightly from simply being considered playground platformers.

this is getting way off topic, though. mischief maker wanted an unbiased (by virtue of opinion on jontron) look at yooka laylee by an genre enthusiast, i linked one, he seemed satisfied with it. if we're going to discuss what constitutes a collect-a-thon and whether or not there's any value in that kind of design, it's probably best to move to a new thread.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:28 pm 

I would love a thread on early 3D platformers and/or collectathon games.
I will also defend Banjo-Kazooie till death. The difference between it and the horrible failure that was DK64 perfectly demonstrates what to do and what not to do in that genre.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:00 am 

Xyga wrote:
He shot himself in the foot and is even more screwed than PDP at this point, let's say that like the latter he lost the respect of tons of people

gaming "media" that barely anyone takes seriously these days and neogaf having a meltdown isn't being screwed, especially in the case of PDP
he's saying whatever the hell he wants while still getting millions of views, he's still loaded as hell and free to do anything

most people don't give a shit about jontron either who lost maybe 5k subs, they'd watch a KKK themed gaming channel if it was funny and worth watching

meanwhile playtonic just replaced toilet noises with slightly different toilet noises
it's fucking nothing

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:48 pm 

Stripped screws, man do I hate them! I wanted to disassemble two GCs and swap the shells (bought a modded purple GC but don't like the colour), but there's a goddamn stripped screw that stands between me and success :evil: I even bought the screwdriver for those weirdly-shaped screws to do this :( (damn you Nintendo for that as well)

Edit: finally done it! I cut the screw head with a little hacksaw and then used a regular slotted screwdriver. What a major PITA it was though :x

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:36 am 

Xer Xian wrote:
Stripped screws, man do I hate them! I wanted to disassemble two GCs and swap the shells (bought a modded purple GC but don't like the colour), but there's a goddamn stripped screw that stands between me and success :evil: I even bought the screwdriver for those weirdly-shaped screws to do this :( (damn you Nintendo for that as well)

Edit: finally done it! I cut the screw head with a little hacksaw and then used a regular slotted screwdriver. What a major PITA it was though :x

There is a tool called an "easy out". They come in sets for different sized screws. They make removing stripped screws a very simple job. The hacksaw trick to make a slotted screw works as well, but if you have a recessed screw you won't be able to do that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:07 pm 

This is not new, but NHL officiating.

Over the course of a season the calls balance out, but the inconsistency in what is called is maddening.

Take the same sequence viewed by two different officials - one will call a penalty and the other won't. Rangers/Habs series right now is a borderline free for all, while the team calling the Ducks/Flames is calling everything.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:04 pm 

Stupid bastards who walk into a cafe/restaurant/bar and leave the door open, wandering inside like a bunch of grinning slack-jawed morons, prompting whoever is nearby to have to keep getting up to close it behind them.

ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:15 pm 

What kind of restaurant doesn't have self closing doors though?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:09 pm 

I blame Jesus. Too many people are born in a barn as a result.

Shut the bloody door.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:28 pm 

Skykid wrote:
Stupid bastards who walk into a cafe/restaurant/bar and leave the door open, wandering inside like a bunch of grinning slack-jawed morons, prompting whoever is nearby to have to keep getting up to close it behind them.

Oh man, hate this crap.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:57 pm 

soprano1 wrote:
Skykid wrote:

Oh man, hate this crap.

I always tell them to shut the door. it's very satisfying. Something similar is when someone lurks in the open door while looking for someone inside, or waiting for someone outside to catch up. Terrible, selfish fucks.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:14 pm 

emphatic wrote:
soprano1 wrote:
Skykid wrote:

Oh man, hate this crap.
I always tell them to shut the door.

And some pretend they don't hear you. Or tells the wrong person to fuck off, who then proceeds to teach said wiseass some manners.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:53 pm 

soprano1 wrote:
who then proceeds to teach said wiseass some manners.

I'm sure that's exactly what skykid did :mrgreen:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:06 pm 

Blinge wrote:
soprano1 wrote:

I'm sure that's exactly what skykid did :mrgreen:

I don't know if he did it, but i saw someone do that. Wasn't pretty.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:27 pm 

drauch wrote:
It's like the modern anime con is so uninformed with the history of anime and the current contemporary shows besides a select few, or they just don't care. That, or the sub-culture of the "nerd" is just meshing together into one big amalgamation of current trends with no emphasis on any particular sub-genre, game, or type of artistic media. Each anime con I look at, doesn't matter where it's at in the U.S., they all seem to follow the same template: "What's popular? Oh, Dr. Who, J.J.'s Star Trek films, Marvel films, The Hobbit, MLP, Harry Potter, etc." Not trying to bash any of those, but shit... it's an anime convention! I dunno, you would think the problem would be obvious when the majority of events are thematically different than what is being celebrated.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

BryanM wrote:
Eh all conventions exist for huge corporations to advertise their latest products. You think the guy who's self printed a hundred copies of his own comic can afford a booth at Comic-con? Ha, good luck good sir. He's got about twelve dozen TV shows and games to fight for that space.
Upgrading your PC to play an imperfect port with a bunch of flaws like Mushi is about the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:37 am 

Blinge wrote:
soprano1 wrote:

I'm sure that's exactly what Skykid did

No, not at all. I'm not going to be confrontational over an asshole leaving people in a draft, but usually when i get up to close it they'll notice and apologise, which is fine.

Until the next guy walks in.

ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:37 am 

The incredible amount of morons who believe 8 in the morning (if not even earlier) is the best time of the day to maw, trim, and even cut wood with their fucking machines.
Four fucking bastards have been doing it this morning, it's like I'm at a motorcross rally.

#1 it's massively stupid because everything is still covered in dew, it's inefficient and harmful to the machines, and in summer it's even very bad for the plants, better done at the end of the day just before the sun sets.

#2 most of them bored retired fucks who need an excuse to not have breakfast with their wives, but essentially don't think a fraction of a second of the neighbors who like their peace in the morning, so they fuck your start of the day with a smile and sense of fulfillment.

Cunts.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:07 am 

Reminds me of my old neighbour who'd drill at 11pm. Think it only happened once but still

Drilling what I don't even know. More crucifixes into the wall? Little holes to put hidden cameras into my house?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:30 am 

They're retired, they've probably been up since 5am so it's practically midday to them.

Agreed though. What a beautiful sunny da-BBBBRRRRRWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:36 am 

TransatlanticFoe wrote:
They're retired, they've probably been up since 5am so it's practically midday to them.

Agreed though. What a beautiful sunny da-BBBBRRRRRWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

I know some old people who dine at 18:30, then go to bed at 20:00. They get up at 6:00 to go to church, have lunch at 12:00. The man plays cards (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sueca_(card_game)) with other retired old guys all day on a public park, the lady watches daytime TV or gossips with the neighbours.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:19 pm 

I've always said that you can tell spring is here not when the birds start chirping, but when you can hear power tools at 8am ..

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 260, 261, 262, 263, 264, 265, 266 ... 271  Next