shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:18 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Re: Hacha Mecha Fighter
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:04 pm 

Nah, I'm done for the time being, I just wanted to play this silly game for a bit to see what would come of it. I was happy to just get to stage 6 (and triggered the bug for a bit of a score increase too, you can easily get the bug consistently I think)

Beating stage 6 would be pretty hard for me, due to the end stretch of the stage needing most likely 2 bombs, and the boss needing something like 3 or 4. I've experimented a bit on the boss with savestates and decided that, even if you decide to not bomb, you'll get so little damage in that it just won't work. there is not much point in bombing without maximizing the damage either, so you really just have to sit in a sweet spot and use like 3 bombs in a row.

Stage 7 is arguably even harder (although I have more trouble with 6 to be honest) so the only condolence is that if you do beat stage 7, as long as you have 1 bomb (but even without it you should manage unless you succumb to the pressure!) you are guaranteed to clear. and I guess it's nice that the first few stages of loop 2 are actually a big drop in difficulty! but like you said, halfway through the second loop it just doesn't seem possible anymore, and to me, 2-7 is especially comical. it's like a sick joke!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:16 am 

So, stage 1 is crazy fun to optimize, though a bit frustrating. Spent a little time working on stage 1, ended with 2,602,900 points after the boss. Had a really stupid death right before the boss, and I probably could have optimized edging more for the boss, but as a whole I'm very happy.

Here's replay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgNqEgWuBck

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:13 am 

Are you sure you're playing on default settings? Please compare your replay to this one: Link

Watch out for the midboss which initially already has an 8-way shot from the very beginning compared to the 4-way from your replay. Also, you only get four flowers from him, but you usually get 8 because the rank is on max by then. All enemy bullets seem to be very slow as well. Could it be that the game is easier with english text? You can change the game to japanese text via dip switch settings.

This probably makes all scores done on the Mame version not comparable, right?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:12 pm 

It seems to me that starting rank is set too low on mame, but as soon as you exit stage 1 everything is identical to in that replay. Eng/JP makes no difference

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:02 pm 

Plasmo wrote:
Are you sure you're playing on default settings? Please compare your replay to this one: Link

Watch out for the midboss which initially already has an 8-way shot from the very beginning compared to the 4-way from your replay. Also, you only get four flowers from him, but you usually get 8 because the rank is on max by then. All enemy bullets seem to be very slow as well. Could it be that the game is easier with english text? You can change the game to japanese text via dip switch settings.

Very peculiar. My PCB is the same as MAME (considering the working dump in MAME is from my PCB, no surprise), so... I don't know. All DIPs are off, so I'd say that's default settings. It's possible that that video (and your PCB, I presume) have a newer version of the game (or maybe older?) that is harder. It's also possible that the bootleggers lowered the starting difficulty on my board. Lots of questions.

chum wrote:
It seems to me that starting rank is set too low, but as soon as you exit stage 1 everything is identical to in that replay. Eng/JP makes no difference

That's exactly what it seems like, yes.

Plasmo wrote:
This probably makes all scores done on the Mame version not comparable, right?

If you'd like to do this, I've no qualms.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:02 am 

Perikles - 23,248,450 - 2-3 - Yes

Video

I would also argue that effectively getting one bomb less in the first stage in MAME definitely makes the game harder since the lower difficulty in the first stage is not really relevant whereas one bomb can mean the difference between a failed run and smooth sailing.

I was thinking that NMK consistently made the hardest shmups, at least as far as the classic developers are concerned. Toaplan has Same!³ and Tatsujin Ou, but all of their other games are somewhere in the middle or even on the lower end of the spectrum. NMK made the two Thunder Dragon games, P-47 Aces, Valtric, Hacha Mecha Fighter and what I consider to be the hardest classic 1-ALL of them all until further notice, Argus. I also heard that Black Heart is pretty tough, too. That's quite a respectable portfolio!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:04 am 

That was awesome! :D

Nice clear!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:22 pm 

Only had time to watch the first loop, but that was beautiful. Bravo.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:57 pm 

Thanks a lot, guys, and especially to Plasmo for his encouragements. :) Now someone needs to clear Argus for some proper NMK love. :mrgreen:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:25 pm 

Perikles wrote:
Thanks a lot, guys, and especially to Plasmo for his encouragements. :) Now someone needs to clear Argus for some proper NMK love. :mrgreen:

Agreed, Argus is awesome.

Offline Profile