shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:21 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Re: Parodius: Da!, Gokujou, Sexy, Jikkyou Oshaberi (New thre
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:04 pm 

I indulge in another theory post, I promise this to be the last reflection without also posting a score.

- I penitently have to admit that I gravely underestimated the second loop of Parodius Da! despite realizing early on that it is extremely hard. Upon testing a bit further, it is clear to me that you will have to adhere to an impeccable power-up cycle plan after all, you're not going to reliably get past 2-3 without it. Sure, it might happen regardless, the chances are so small it's not even worth the effort, though. If you pick up a green bell for the maze section too early, it will run out just before you're done with it, meaning that you have to get the bell at the perfect opportunity. You could also plan some elaborate scheme that involves some equally immaculate blue capsule placements, effort's the same, unfortunately. And if you decide to go that route you either have to somehow avoid that nasty roulette capsule or (*shudder*) pick it up.

- Jesus, the sudden slowdown diminutions are horrifying. While I found some ways to mostly keep 2-4 in check, 2-6 and 2-10 still elude me, especially 2-6. It's worse than Gradius III AC due to the profoundly delayed suicide bullets from penguin walkers, the game is also rather inconsistent sometimes to where bullets speed up faster than your ship, thus killing you instantly. I'm sure there are ways to manipulate this better, but man, is it taxing.

- I furthermore stumbled upon a little oversight (?). If you kill certain enemies that would drop power-ups even though they aren't on-screen yet (the first red crab in the eight stage for example, or a number of enemies killed by a blue capsule before they fully appear), they don't drop anything. It doesn't reset a bell chain and the game seems to recognize those non-existent drops as though they were real when checking for the point in the power-up cycle, it's obviously rather confusing nonetheless.

Also found some neat cheats for the PS1 version (level select, full power-up). This port only has two loops unlike all the other conversions, it's also stupendously hard. Enemies "only" retaliate with a single suicide bullet all the way to the end (and larger enemies with none whatsoever) and don't fire non-stop, but there are never any slowdowns whatsoever. 2-6 (including the boss!) is fiendishly difficult, they also made 2-7 much harder than the arcade game's equivalent (bloodthirsty bubbles everywhere). Not quite as difficult as the arcade game, yet still harder than pretty much every other classic arcade shooter. Have to say that this is how the arcade game should've been (with the exception of a few attacks/enemies that completely ignore your shield which is not the case in the arcade game), it's much more consistent. I'll nonetheless stick to the original, one mountainous challenge at a time.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Parodius: Da!, Gokujou, Sexy, Jikkyou Oshaberi (New thre
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:12 pm 

Perikles wrote:
- I penitently have to admit that I gravely underestimated the second loop of Parodius Da! despite realizing early on that it is extremely hard.

Now that's not something you hear every day! :lol:

Perikles wrote:
- I furthermore stumbled upon a little oversight (?). If you kill certain enemies that would drop power-ups even though they aren't on-screen yet (the first red crab in the eight stage for example, or a number of enemies killed by a blue capsule before they fully appear), they don't drop anything. It doesn't reset a bell chain and the game seems to recognize those non-existent drops as though they were real when checking for the point in the power-up cycle, it's obviously rather confusing nonetheless.

I've seen some enemies fail to drop their powerups such as the one on the other side of the roulette capsule in stage 2, but never figured out the cause. That might just be it.

1cc list | Twitch | YouTube

Offline Profile