* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:17 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Re: Parodius: Da!, Gokujou, Sexy, Jikkyou Oshaberi (New thre
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:53 am 

Parodius Da! (Arcade, MAME)
Shepardus - 770,500 - 1-10 - Octopus

First time making it past stage 8! Also managed to no-miss the stage 5 boss which is rare for me. Died twice on stage 6, once on stage 8, then twice on stage 10 (suicide bullets...).

1cc list | Twitch | YouTube

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:30 am 

Gokujou Parodius AC
KoopaTGR - 1,054,800 - Special - Koitsu

:D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:07 am 

Omake 1 (Jikkyou Oshaberi)

Mero - 6,698,200 - Win Bee

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:20 am 

Sexy Parodius
KoopaTGR - 1,195,800 - SS - Mambo

Icarus' score should say SS as he did not complete the special stage. saucy and Jaimers' scores should say ALL+ as they completed it.

I think completing the missions and no-missing has quite a noticeable increase in rank. Reached the crystal maze part of the special stage BTW.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:28 am 

Shepardus - 917,300 - 2-1 - Octopus

Image Image

Video

Last edited by Shepardus on Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:39 am 

Holy shit, great work!
Why do you use the Octopus and not Twinbee?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:57 pm 

I've added a link to the video in my post if you want to check that out.

KoopaTGR wrote:
Holy shit, great work!
Why do you use the Octopus and not Twinbee?

Thanks! Nice progress with Sexy Parodius too, completing all the missions is no mean feat! Gokujou Parodius too, that game's brutal. It's the only Parodius I've set up any savestates for and stages 3-5 still wreck me.

Well done with the Omake 1 score, Mero, I'll have to put some more time into that myself!

I prefer Octopus over Twinbee mainly for the option movement style - being able to leave your options trailing behind you while sitting still gives greater flexibility than the Twinbee style which requires active movement to take advantage of the options. Having one more option is also nice. I also find the ripple laser useful for taking out enemies that are slightly above or below your y-position since it spreads out a little, and the fact that it allows two projectiles per option, as opposed to one projectile per option per direction with Twinbee's 3-way shot, makes it a bit better for taking out beefy targets (though Twinbee compensates for this with its rocket punch) and is less likely to leave gaps between shots. Twinbee has its own advantages, including a shield that protects from all directions, so I'd like to spend some more time with the other characters now that I've gotten a 1-ALL out of the way.

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:49 am 

With Gokujou there are certain spots that I don't expect myself to get through without dying or using a special bell such as:

- all of Stage 3
- some of Stage 4 (birds from behind, falling exclamation marks, boss at high rank)
- the part of Stage 6 where all the yellow bunnies spawn and shoot tons of bullets

In my 1CC run I died twice on Stage 3 and no missed up to the special stage, and made great use of the special bells.
I have to pray that I get lucky on Stage 6 as the boss and entire last stage is a nightmare with a weak ship, let alone one speedup.

There are many safespots and tricks you can use:

Stage 3 boss: Use this as a guide.
Stage 4, first bird wall: Stay in the centre and take out the birds. Not sure about the other bird walls.
Moai battleship: when it moves up and down, stay in the bottom-left corner. At the boss, move up or down gradually as it spits Moais, then when it shoots the long Moai stay at the very top or bottom of the screen (depending on what direction it moves)
Stage 5: sometimes you can stay at the bottom-left of the screen near the end of the first waves. Just avoid the caution signs and don't try to chain bells.
Stage 6 boss first attack: stay above the boss, near the top-right of the screen. Don't forget to move away!
Final stage: when you see the dancer's upper body, move to the top-left and you don't have to dodge anymore. Watch out for the penguins at the end!

Watch this replay to see them in action.

Just giving you some advice.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:00 am 

What mode did you use, auto, semi-auto, or manual? Recently I've switched from auto to manual for the sake of holding on to special bells for parts like the bird walls.

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:15 am 

I use auto for both games. Although you can't save special powers the lack of checkpoints really makes up for it.
I would only use manual if I wanted to take on Gokujou's special stage or maximise score (in Sexy you get 2 speed ups in Auto on the special stage.)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:33 am 

Discovered the magic of homing shots.

Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius ~forever with me~ difficulty 7 (PSP - emulated in PPSSPP v1.2.1)
Shepardus - 2,701,200 - 2-1 - Rupa

Goddamn disco ball gets me every time. I'm sure I could have nabbed the top spot if I hadn't died a careless death in the middle of 2-1. :evil:

Note: I set wait to 0 for this run (the setting might be exclusive to the PSP version). Makes the game more bearable to me since I don't have to worry about the game suddenly speeding up and sending me careening into a wall. Some stuff is faster than it would be otherwise but I don't find that to be much of an issue. I'm not sure how close the PSP version's slowdown is to the PSX and Saturn versions anyway.

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:38 pm 

Jikkyou Oshaberi level 4 PSP
KoopaTGR - 3,364,100 - 2-5 - Ran

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:20 am 

Shepardus - 952,700 - 2-1 - TwinBee

Twitch highlight

YouTube video

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:54 am 

Somehow I missed KoopaTGR's Sexy score that he posted months ago :oops:

Added now, sorry about that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:18 am 

But now there are two KoopaTGRs. Keep the one that is in third place.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:43 am 

Oh so I didn't miss it, just updated it and then forgot :lol:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:59 am 

Shepardus - 999,800 - 2-1 - Vic Viper

So close to 1 million, yet so far... :evil:

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:53 pm 

Sexy Paro in the house!

Perikles - 2,898,100 - ALL* - Mambo

Video

I knew I would lose one life somewhere, too bad I lost two. Will definitely come back at a later opportunity with a better score!

If someone could tell me now how on earth to get consistent at Goku Paro's Special Stage I'd be a happy man...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:37 pm 

Parodius Da! - Super Famicom

Perikles - 2,792,600 - 3-6 - TwinBee

Finally got a new CRT a while ago after my old one was irrevocably compromised. My first instinct was to revisit old favourites, of course, starting with the amazing SFC Parodius Da! Never did I imagine what would await me in the second and, indeed, third loop. :o

While the port is obviously much easier than the devious arcade game, the second loop is still harder than almost everything in the 16-bit realm, definitely harder than everything I've managed to beat so far (I'm going to guess that the second loop of Pop'n TwinBee and Detana!! TwinBee is tougher), most arcade games pale by comparison as well. You have to deal with a ton of suicide bullets and generally very inclement enemies without much slowdown that is ubiquitous in the arcade original. Stage 2-6 is a veritable wall, it is the one stage that is harder than the arcade equivalent by dint of having no slowdown yet just as many bullets and roulette capsules. I lost several lives here and had to get a few propitious bells in order to succeed.

I was sure the game would end after that, but just like the Famicom port, this one, too, has a third loop. That one adds delayed suicide bullets which are extremely fast, making the game excruciatingly tough. Some enemies may not spew out suicide bullets at first only to surprise the player with the delayed one later. Bosses are also just as hard as the arcade loop 2 counterparts, only by using green bells and having enough lives in stock (so that I would get a bell after a few attempts) did I manage to beat them. 3-6 is absurdly hard, of course.

Needless to say, I am delighted! It's incredible what the magicians at Konami were able to create in this era, I am absolutely sure it is no fortunate coincidence that the subsequent loops are as great as they are. Checkpoint recoveries are demanding but always possible, the accompanying rank decrease helps for trickier boss fights in particular. I can also say for certain that dying in succession drops the rank even further which is an outstanding achievement for a 16-bit conversion. Superb porting effort.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:34 am 

Sounds completely brutal :o

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:19 am 

Sounds like you're ready to 2-ALL the arcade version! :P

Online Profile