shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:49 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Which SEGA shmups would you like to see on SEGA Forever? (pick three)
Aerial Assault (1990) 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Astro Warrior (1986) 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Bio-Hazard Battle (1992) 9%  9%  [ 6 ]
Elemental Master (1990) 22%  22%  [ 15 ]
Fantasy Zone (series) 17%  17%  [ 12 ]
Satellite 7 (1985) 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
SDI: Strategic Defense Initiative (Global Defense) 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Star Jacker (1983) 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Thunder Force (series) 39%  39%  [ 27 ]
Zaxxon (1985) 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 69
 Post subject: Re: Which SEGA shmups would you like to see on SEGA Forever?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:31 pm 

It would be really nice to see these on consoles too, along the lines of the Mega Drive Ultimate Collection and the 3D Classics on 3DS.

However mobile only, Scramble Spirits (SMS) is a good fit for casual players due to its low difficulty and colourful (given the military theme) aesthetic.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:12 am 

Thanks for the recommendations so far everyone! I've been logging them all to pass on to the team.

OmegaFlareX wrote:
Any chance of the Toaplan MD ports? No one is sure who owns the rights to their library, though...

Hi OmegaFlareX, I've logged all these suggestions - thanks! We're focusing on titles on SEGA home consoles first, but we could expand out to arcade over time. I'll run your Mega Drive/Genesis suggestions (along with all the others here) by our team.

wizkid wrote:
can i play on a windows phone?

Hey wizkid, I'm afraid we're only supporting iOS And Android for the moment.

gray117 wrote:
It wasn't the best start for this initiative, but you got to love the sentiment. Plus as long as this isn't allowed to just die-off, and things keep getting worked on, updated and maintained I think it's a lovely idea ...(I'd love to see additional background interviews/art and documentation stuff eventually added, perhaps even some new retrospectives made with key staff before they disappear... if there was a way to surface some kind of editorial/produced content it could incorporate lists / articles that served to highlight releases contained within the forever initiative... + community polls like this ;)

Thanks for your suggestions gray117! We are planning on exclusive interviews (already have one in the bag, but it's for a game we haven't released yet), as well as sharing art and other assets that haven't been seen for a long time, or perhaps ever! (I post different content on the SEGA Forever Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram channels daily). Community polls will be influencing our decisions too!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Which SEGA shmups would you like to see on SEGA Forever?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:42 pm 

A lot of people here bash touchscreen shmups, but I like them and I play them a lot on my long commutes. When I get home I play them in my arcade. The thing that mobile shmups have screwed up most often IMO is using virtual buttons as input. Even dariusburst has it and they can be missed. I would avoid them at all costs. Two fingers, 3 fingers, dividing screen into quadrants, 3D touch pressure, some swipe motion, some combination, anything but a button in the corner of the screen.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:33 pm 

I like the idea of Sega Forever, but I hope it doesn't mean that the final Sega 3D Classics collection isn't coming to the west. I want to play Alien Syndrome and Thunder Force 3 on 3DS and importing isn't an option due to Nintendo's region lock. This is also the reason I would like to see a US release of Puyo Puyo Tetris 3DS tough I have the ps4 version.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:41 am 

Slightly OT, but is there any chance of seeing more of Sega's arcade back catalogue on PS4 / Xbox One?

Nearly thirty years have passed and we still have not had a decent port of Turbo OutRun or Enduro Racer despite their success in the arcades... and nearly all the other Super Scaler games have been ported to modern hardware (Super Hang-On, Space Harrier, OutRun, Afterburner etc.)

www.peanutbutterjammatime.com

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:19 am 

MUSHA please MUSHA :D

haha sound track alone is worth it. Infact add a BGM play back option SEGA!!!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:40 am 

Tarma wrote:
Slightly OT, but is there any chance of seeing more of Sega's arcade back catalogue on PS4 / Xbox One?

Nearly thirty years have passed and we still have not had a decent port of Turbo OutRun or Enduro Racer despite their success in the arcades... and nearly all the other Super Scaler games have been ported to modern hardware (Super Hang-On, Space Harrier, OutRun, Afterburner etc.)

Turbo Outrun, another reason I want that 3DS collection to come here.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:10 pm 

BrianC wrote:
Tarma wrote:

Turbo Outrun, another reason I want that 3DS collection to come here.

It's a really good port, probably the best official port to date... but playing 3DS and playing on a TV with an analogue controller... not the same! I'm still, to this day, mystified as to why there never was a Sega Ages release of Turbo OutRun on the Saturn... Rutubo Games absolutley nailed OutRun on Saturn :cry:

www.peanutbutterjammatime.com

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:17 pm 

Tarma wrote:
It's a really good port, probably the best official port to date... but playing 3DS and playing on a TV with an analogue controller... not the same!

At least the 3DS has analog. It's not quite the same as a full analog stick, which is still no match for a good steering wheel, but it works great with the original Outrun and Power Drift.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:48 am 

Gynoug or wor of something or other,you know what i mean

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:41 pm 

Aside from Sega shmups on the iOS and Android mobile platforms, will Sega be porting any of it's classic arcade racing titles like Daytona USA or even the latest & newest arcade racing IP title of Daytona Championship USA to dedicated gaming consoles/portable gaming consoles/mobile in the nearby future?

It'd be awesome to see the entire Thunderforce series along with MUSHA on mobile someday albeit with proper Bluetooth gaming controller support. I do have the proper Bluetooth gamepads for both iOS and Android mobile platforms and they do make quite a difference when properly supported with said mobile gaming apps. Touch controls are fine but support for such 3rd-party bluetooth gaming pads are an absolute necessity when it comes to mobile based shmup apps these days -- gives the end user more flexibility in being able to play said games properly.

As for the actual Sega Turbo Outrun upright cabinet setup, the yellow colored Start button doubles as the Turbo button as it flashes to denote it's functionality during gameplay, indeed.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~

Offline Profile