Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:49 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Re: So I'm back.....
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:05 pm 

DrTrouserPlank wrote:
Doesn't help that the stage select is completely useless since you start the stage at minimum power.

Press the start button (instead of A) to start the stage with full power.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:08 pm 

Sumez wrote:
Are you sure you wanna go there already?

I don't recall any Cave games that require you memorizing specific routes just to survive. It helps a lot if you can remember where the big enemies are gonna show up next while dodging zako swarms and such, but you get that just from playing the game yourself.

Now, high scoring tactics, that's a different beast.

Btw, because I'm curious - have you ever considered playing non-bullethell shooters?

Not really, I find them vastly less appealing since I only ever started playing shooters with any regularity because of bullet-hell. I find them quite "boring" by comparison.

iconoclast wrote:
DrTrouserPlank wrote:
Doesn't help that the stage select is completely useless since you start the stage at minimum power.

Press the start button (instead of A) to start the stage with full power.

Ok, that makes it a bit more useful. Thanks.

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:14 pm 

Ibara pcb is best.
Sell Xcox360 and enjoy.
You're welcome.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:16 pm 

Most of the replays you can easily find on YouTube are high-scoring replays which are probably more trouble than it's worth to copy unless you're also going for scoring. I do have a messy 1-ALL with A-L but I'm not sure how much value you can get out of that (I guess you can use it to see how much you can get away with for a survival 1-ALL?).

Stage 3 onwards does require some memorization but I think it's more about remembering where the major enemy spawns are rather than remembering the exact route to get through them. In stage 3 especially, if you don't preemptively move to certain sides of the screen to take out enemies, they'll flood the screen with undodgeable walls of bullets, but if you do then they pose little threat. I remember the first half of the stage being easier than it looks after familiarizing myself with its structure; the part right before the midboss does get a little tight but if you have a lot of trouble with it then just use a bomb. I sometimes had trouble with the second half of the stage due to being on the wrong side or being too slow to start firing at an enemy, but you can usually tell from a mile away if you're getting walled in and you can just bomb out of those (if you have bombs, of course). The stage 3 boss isn't too bad as long as you don't hyper, except the last phase which you should feel free to bomb.

Stage 4 has several pretty distinct sections which makes it a bit easier to remember where enemies will come from, but I never very strictly routed any of the sections. For the opening section most of the enemies aren't so bad as long as you sweep left and right across the screen away from their bullets and take out the turrets on the left and right. I think I just flailed through the rest of the stage, using bombs when I felt it was appropriate (this doesn't always work but worked well enough for me to get a 1-ALL once).

I just bomb-spammed through stage 5, never practiced it much since I didn't set up any savestates. On the part right before the first midboss you can avoid killing the last large tank on the right to avoid spawning a large wave of popcorn.

1cc list | Twitch | YouTube

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:11 pm 

Yeah.... I'm starting to remember why I stopped playing these games the last time :|

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:41 am 

DrTrouserPlank wrote:
Yeah.... I'm starting to remember why I stopped playing these games the last time :|

Are you gonna ragequit? If you do, make sure to send me a video.
Discord

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:58 am 

Either you want to do it or you don't. Too hard? Keep trying. Impossible? Who cares, make it possible. Are you looking for...... encouragement in your endeavors to get a basic 1cc of something? An entertaining debate on why this is too difficult? Or perhaps someone to validate your position so you won't feel inadequate for not getting a 1cc? Keep in mind, now, it's only a game and it should be fun. I like beginners who do their best but I quickly lose interest in players who make excuses. On that note, I'm curious about your next move.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:21 am 

You should play Gradius III arcade, then nobody will blame you if you call the game impossible and drop it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:14 am 

its the year 2017
if you streamed your runs or recorded them someone might figure out whats your problem

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:09 am 

Van_Artic wrote:
its the year 2017
if you streamed your runs or recorded them someone might figure out whats your problem

He doesn't have a problem, it's just his troll persona that everyone falls for time and time again.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:08 pm 

That's some devotion right there. I concede defeat.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:37 pm 

more of an attention whore than a troll. his whole game has been baiting for responses and keeping the dialogue options to a minimum (most things people tell him he wont respond to) but it's not like he appears to be faking his personality.

these people that only want attention because they have long since decided that they are special and everything is about them are not only all over the internet, but they're all over society and if they play their cards right they can easily become a big voice in a community even though they have never earned the right for this. all due to the unfortunate nature of humans fake "goodwill". i don't think many people here really wanted to "help" doctortrouserplank but rather it has been more a matter of storming the board at the opportunity of showing your "correct" opinions of how to "correctly" play and approach shmups, because people are programmed to only do this in a safe environment that permits it and not to contest opposition when your opinion is in the minority and the numbers are against you, since this will always result in you being the "loser" regardless of if you are right or wrong, because arguments, opinions, discussions etc is hardly ever actually about right or wrong to begin with. rarely will a discussion lead to someone "learning" from someone else.

the attitude that whatever issue they (people like plank) are facing is something that will be teh same to everyone, and that any facts outside of this tiny bubble of opinions and experience simple cannot be comprehended and will be conveniently skipped in replies to other posters, is most likely not trolling, but rather a deficit of mind capacity and a matter of large egotism. is it worth the trouble to try to "set things straight" with someone like this? hell no. DRTP has most likely spent 10 times more if not much more time posting here than he has spent playing, and he didnt actually listen to or attempt to learn from what you told him. all roads lead back to himself, he cannot get over himself. he's grounded on an island. maybe he's changed by now, and if so he won't need your help. save your help for people that can take it and if you really care about making a change then try environments where people will automatically not listen to you instead because really why the fuck should anyone on a SHMUPS FORUM be told such simple things that DRtP was told for ages? you can't just spoonfeed people all the time, every now and then sure we all need some support from time to time but personal growth and discoveries is improtant too

maybe i remember wrong but i think he hasnt been trolling because ive seen ppl like this so many times before and they really exist.

tldr save your help for people that will benefit from it

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:17 pm 

Cee wrote:
Van_Artic wrote:
its the year 2017

He doesn't have a problem, it's just his troll persona that everyone falls for time and time again.

Is there even a "He"? Always thought it was an alt. account of one of the more "humorous" members :wink:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:53 am 

chum wrote:
more of an attention whore than a troll. his whole game has been baiting for responses and keeping the dialogue options to a minimum (most things people tell him he wont respond to) but it's not like he appears to be faking his personality.

these people that only want attention because they have long since decided that they are special and everything is about them are not only all over the internet, but they're all over society and if they play their cards right they can easily become a big voice in a community even though they have never earned the right for this. all due to the unfortunate nature of humans fake "goodwill". i don't think many people here really wanted to "help" doctortrouserplank but rather it has been more a matter of storming the board at the opportunity of showing your "correct" opinions of how to "correctly" play and approach shmups, because people are programmed to only do this in a safe environment that permits it and not to contest opposition when your opinion is in the minority and the numbers are against you, since this will always result in you being the "loser" regardless of if you are right or wrong, because arguments, opinions, discussions etc is hardly ever actually about right or wrong to begin with. rarely will a discussion lead to someone "learning" from someone else.

the attitude that whatever issue they (people like plank) are facing is something that will be teh same to everyone, and that any facts outside of this tiny bubble of opinions and experience simple cannot be comprehended and will be conveniently skipped in replies to other posters, is most likely not trolling, but rather a deficit of mind capacity and a matter of large egotism. is it worth the trouble to try to "set things straight" with someone like this? hell no. DRTP has most likely spent 10 times more if not much more time posting here than he has spent playing, and he didnt actually listen to or attempt to learn from what you told him. all roads lead back to himself, he cannot get over himself. he's grounded on an island. maybe he's changed by now, and if so he won't need your help. save your help for people that can take it and if you really care about making a change then try environments where people will automatically not listen to you instead because really why the fuck should anyone on a SHMUPS FORUM be told such simple things that DRtP was told for ages? you can't just spoonfeed people all the time, every now and then sure we all need some support from time to time but personal growth and discoveries is improtant too

maybe i remember wrong but i think he hasnt been trolling because ive seen ppl like this so many times before and they really exist.

tldr save your help for people that will benefit from it

Ironically, with this post you have given him the biggest attention of us all. Good job.

My highscores | Twitter

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:08 am 

you might be misremembering past threads, if you think that

the "attention" i just gave DTP is not the kind of attention he's after (i would hope) and the point directed at the forum is not one i recall seeing before

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:48 am 

Zen wrote:
Always thought it was an alt. account of one of the more "humorous" members :wink:

He/she/it is as funny as a burning baby.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:18 am 

The problem here is that you're not very attitude for gains.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:26 am 

Code:
1:BE PRAYING
2:BE PRAYING
3:BE PRAYING

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:18 pm 

Ok, can someone recommend some good games for me to try. I don't see me getting anywhere with all the cave games that I have because I couldn't do them last time, and I'm a good bit worse now than I was back then so there's no chance of getting through them anymore. It's not that I don't like the way that they play, so anything similar is fine from a gameplay perspective, I just can't be bothered to entertain the utterly stupid difficulty that only exists to empty coins out of pockets rather than because they thought it was a good level to pitch it at.

How are Esp.ra.de and espgaluda in mame? is slowdown present as it should be?

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:30 pm 

DrTrouserPlank wrote:
Ok, can someone recommend some good games for me to try. I don't see me getting anywhere with all the cave games that I have because I couldn't do them last time, and I'm a good bit worse now than I was back then so there's no chance of getting through them anymore. It's not that I don't like the way that they play, so anything similar is fine from a gameplay perspective, I just can't be bothered to entertain the utterly stupid difficulty that only exists to empty coins out of pockets rather than because they thought it was a good level to pitch it at.

How are Esp.ra.de and espgaluda in mame? is slowdown present as it should be?

Esp.ra.de is a fucking awful tedious game, don't bother.

Espgaluda is very playable in MAME and an awesome shmup for people who aren't super great at shmups as it has a very simple first 4 levels and the kakusei mechanic lets you slow down the parts that bother you personally.

Edit: Play Touhou on easy, be attitude for gains.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:15 pm 

• Cho Ren Sha 68K (PC freeware, one of my personal favorites, good choice for beginner-intermediate players)
  • Blue Wish Resurrection Plus (PC freeware, obviously CAVE-inspired gameplay, often-recommended for newcomers to the genre)
  • Mecha Ritz (PC freeware though there's a commercial remake called Mecha Ritz: Steel Rondo; very flexible rank system that makes it accessible to beginners but also encourages driving up the intensity to insane levels if you're good enough)
  • rRootage (PC freeware, boss-rush gameplay; also check out Kenta Cho's other games such as parsec47 and Tumiki Fighters)
  • Batsugun Special ver. (one of the easier arcade shmups for the first loop, and as the last Toaplan shmup it's also a close predecessor to CAVE's early games)
  • Dodonpachi (gives a lot of bombs to work with, also more fun than most of CAVE's later games IMO)
  • Touhou series (4 difficulty levels that actually have some thought put into them and a reasonable difficulty curve between difficulty levels unlike most "Novice" modes I've seen in arcade ports which are stupidly easy compared to their arcade modes)
  • Crimzon Clover: World Ignition (this is one of those games I just mentioned where the novice modes are way easier than the arcade modes, but I'm not sure where your level is at so it may be worth a try)
  • Sexy Parodius (wide range of characters and other options catering to different skill levels, closer to bullet hell than its predecessors with relatively dense and slow bullets. Use a version of MAME that supports autofire or you're going to get tired quickly.)
  • Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius (also a wide range of characters and play options, being a console-exclusive game it's also more forgiving than most arcade shooters, mainly by giving a lot of extends)
  • Armed Police Batrider (wide range of characters and different modes for variety and different skill levels. Some input lag in MAME unfortunately but I find it tolerable.)
  • Battle Bakraid (pretty beginner-friendly game as long as you're not trying to score. Same input lag in MAME as Armed Police Batrider.)
  • Out Zone (more old-school than the others here but very fun and fairly forgiving as long as you have autofire)

Last edited by Shepardus on Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:18 pm 

pls stream

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:00 am 

try jrpgs

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:17 am 

Go play Trails In The Sky

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:53 am 

Bananamatic wrote:
try jrpgs

ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:53 am 

Wellcome back DTP!!!

(and Moh, btw.)

And, hmm, yes, wellcome back myself I guess, it's been a while...

I got a game recomendation for you, a game with Spaceships, Lasers, Canons and all the stuff you need in space to make you happy:

Elite: Dangerous.

I'm currently playing it in VR and haven't played anything else for the last 5 weeks... :-P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:11 pm 

play vulkasier, my first shmup.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:24 am 

I dont think we met... but welcome 8)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:38 am 

SMC wrote:
pls stream

this.

Welcome back DTP, let the legend live on.

Bananamatic wrote:
try jrpgs

No shame in this either Planky.. (apart from the copious amounts of shame) they've replaced shmups for me atm.

Offline Profile