shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Mon May 22, 2017 7:18 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Toaplan inspired shmups
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:15 pm 

I'm looking for shmups inspired by Toaplan's work. Off the top of my head, I only know Wing Force, War of Aero and Gekirindan. Thanks.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Toaplan inspired shmups
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 3:42 pm 

War of Aero is really in the style of Image Fight more so than Toaplan.

Anyway, the Raiden series is the biggest example, so much so that Raiden-clones could be a subcategory within the Toaplan style. Viper Phase 1, also from Seibu Kaihatsu, qualifies as well.

Taito published many Toaplan games, and they developed a Toa-style game themselves, Fighting Hawk.

Ajax and Trigon, by Konami.

Kyukoku Tiger II, by Takumi.

Fire Barrel, by Irem.

Daioh, Gekioh / Shienryu, and Sengeki Striker, by Athena and its spin-off Warashi.

Igawa's Donpachi regressed a bit from Batsugun to a more Toaplan style, before he more fully developed his own with its sequel. Dangun Feveron is also something of a Truxton throwback.

I loathe to mention NG Dev's trash, but they put out Neo XYX.

And I'm sure there are more that will come to mind, or be filled in by other members. So, is there any reason you're curious about this?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:07 pm 

Also note that Taito's Gekirindan is in many ways a Toaplan tribute game, with the main ship looking like the Tatsujin ship and the napalm acting almost identical to how it acts in Tatsujin. Though the game in terms of bullet pattern style and enemy behavior is probably halfway between Taito and Toaplan.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:12 pm 

Gekirindan, Kyukyoku Tiger 2, Air Gallet, and DonPachi all had former Toaplan devs in their staff roll, and I think it shows. Raizing may have had an ex-Toa or two eventually, but I'm not sure. Definitely try Air Gallet if you haven't already. It is rather magnificent. One of the last JP AC shmups to be made with that style while everything else was already going manic/danmaku.

I say "JP" because there were Korean devs making Toa-likes into the end of the decade. Dooyong and Afega come to mind. The former is notable for what they accomplished with low-powered hardware, but KR shmups in general are a bit "ugh".

On the indie front, there's Cho Ren Sha 68k, Twin Tiger Shark, Wolflame, and probably a host of others that I'm not thinking of.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:28 am 

It's not out yet, but PieSlice has a great looking game on the way that fits the bill.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=59038

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:50 pm 

There's a cool Dezaemon Plus fan-made shmup that was released on the 2nd disc of Dezaemon Kids that has a cool and unmistakable Toaplan-ish feel/vibe to it -- lots of intricate and very detailed 2D sprites galore. Can't remember what the name of it is called though.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:06 pm 

There's HishouAyu.

1cc list | Twitch | YouTube

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:48 pm 

HishouAyu is pretty great.

Kaisers games, Zenohell and Zenodyne, feel pretty Toaplan to me in terms of both visuals and gameplay. They are there own thing though ultimately, but worth a look for fans.

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.

Offline Profile