shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:57 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: I love R-TYPE! Fan Art
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:28 am 

I sank so many coins in the R-TYPE game, which by far my favorite coin-op, back in France. When I was 15 I made a clone in pixel art, that was in the late 80s, I didn't get made because the company that started to code around it went bust, Thalamus if you remember.

I thought RTYPE final was meh, II and III never captured the spirit of the original so I started making this.
Hope you like :)

Organic inspired by stage 2

Laser refraction boss thing inspired by the bounce blue beam of the R9

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: I love R-TYPE! Fan Art
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:10 am 

The alien organic look is spot on! Love the glowy parts:-)
A remake of the first one with this artstyle...on the switch...instabuy :mrgreen:
Thanks for sharing!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:18 am 

Thanks for the word of confidence :)
What was your wow moment in the first game?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 3:20 pm 

This looks great!

I love all the R-Type games, different ways, but I just love them.
My wow moment in the first one was the second level, when the dashing crab creatures came of hiding. Then my mind was blown trying to escape the snake from the level 2 boss, figuring out where to hide on screen. Such exciting, scary design.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:08 pm 

MommysBestGames wrote:
This looks great!

I love all the R-Type games, different ways, but I just love them.
My wow moment in the first one was the second level, when the dashing crab creatures came of hiding. Then my mind was blown trying to escape the snake from the level 2 boss, figuring out where to hide on screen. Such exciting, scary design.

Oh the hiding, yeah that was amazing the suspense trying to read the terrain see which creature looking think would move and then I'd see something jitter, like a wolf in the bushes and then it crawls up.

The first time I realized I could charge up the wave canon in stage 1, wow blasting a row of ships effortlessly, and then the Force appears and shields away all the enemy bullets - incredible.

I just implemented the wave canon going through multiple enemies and it is fun! It doesn't behave like RTYPE yet but it's just a matter of moving a few variables around.
The force is there but it's not acting properly yet - the designers of the original put so much work in it you can tell - it's nice to be able to move it front and back to shield from bullet hell!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:25 pm 

Looking forward to some video of the game when you get it working. The stills are good, but video is even better!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:01 am 

Nice visual work, in line with R-Type's aesthetic, but not merely derivative.

The original R-Type? It's funny to think of now that I have so many shooters under my belt, but I remember getting crushed by Gomander repeatedly. :mrgreen:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:21 pm 

Wow it looks great!
Hope to see some more developments soon :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:15 am 

I'll capture some gameplay next week :)

In the meantime I just finished modeling this super iconic thing from stage 1. It's fully articulated so I was thinking of animating it like a robot arm and the things on it will shoot all sorts of nasties... always wanted a tractor beam in rtype haha... probably a boss at the end of Stage 1. What do you think it should do?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:54 pm 

Nice, looking forward to the gameplay clip :D

Btw, my personal wow moment is the first boss...Dobkeratops...still impressive after all these years 8)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 5:54 am 

Necronom wrote:
Nice, looking forward to the gameplay clip :D
Btw, my personal wow moment is the first boss...Dobkeratops...still impressive after all these years 8)

It was a big surprise when it came on-screen, you played in the arcades?

I'm done rigging and animating the arms, I always drag my feet rigging, so many bones. Showing gameplay will take a while longer. As usual estimate time and triple it ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 10:33 am 

laurentopia wrote:
always wanted a tractor beam in rtype haha... probably a boss at the end of Stage 1. What do you think it should do?

Do the Zero Wing thing and give it to the player!

Plus, if it can mess with the Force, you've got a solid mechanic on your hands.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 10:48 am 

i like this style
reminds me Pikmin series

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:40 pm 

Really nice work. :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 5:26 am 

Deadliar wrote:
laurentopia wrote:
always wanted a tractor beam in rtype haha... probably a boss at the end of Stage 1. What do you think it should do?

Do the Zero Wing thing and give it to the player!

Plus, if it can mess with the Force, you've got a solid mechanic on your hands.

I didn't play Zero Wing so I looked it up on youtube and all I could see is homing bullets. I don't understand how that'd fit, can you explain more and how the mechanic would work?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 11:21 am 

@Deadliar and @qmish glad you like the style, hopefully the animation will be your cuppa tea.

https://youtu.be/ttkgm9Gg-Lk

Last edited by laurentopia on Wed May 31, 2017 10:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 5:55 pm 

laurentopia wrote:

I didn't play Zero Wing so I looked it up on youtube and all I could see is homing bullets. I don't understand how that'd fit, can you explain more and how the mechanic would work?

The player on YT probably entirely disregarded the tractor beam. it wasn't exactly useful in Zero Wing.

How it worked is you could attach smaller enemies to yourself with the beam for a shield. Bigger ones too but they'd slow you down. You could also get a more durable bomb attached. You could also launch whatever you had attached. It wasn't very important gameplay-wise, and the launched enemies didn't do much damage, so many players ignore this mechanic.

Literally copying the mechanic wouldn't be that innovative or useful, but it has great potential, especially with an r-type style pod involved, methinks.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:39 pm 

Deadliar wrote:
laurentopia wrote:

The player on YT probably entirely disregarded the tractor beam. it wasn't exactly useful in Zero Wing.

How it worked is you could attach smaller enemies to yourself with the beam for a shield. Bigger ones too but they'd slow you down. You could also get a more durable bomb attached. You could also launch whatever you had attached. It wasn't very important gameplay-wise, and the launched enemies didn't do much damage, so many players ignore this mechanic.

Literally copying the mechanic wouldn't be that innovative or useful, but it has great potential, especially with an r-type style pod involved, methinks.

I just downloaded the EMU and played a bit so I understand why players ignored it: shield = remaining HP so you'd lose it nearly immediately, also the enemies were too swarmy with no structure and too fast to give a chance at thinking, also why does the captured enemy stops shooting, there is major potential fun here, finally the level design seems almost random, unlike RTYPE that taught you wave canon and shield.

So if I multiply the remaining HP, or even make it invulnerable then I can replace the force, and turning the enemy's weaponry against its kin makes it a good laugh and possibly adding a score multiplier for not shooting your own canon encourage creative thinking.
The tractor beam could captures enemy bullets and missile too with apropriate Trick counter to boost score you'd have a serious game of sckill here.

Now I see what you mean by giving player the tractor beam and it's a really cool idea.
Let's see what I can do...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 10:51 pm 

those two pics look fantastic! i'm exicted to see more :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:36 am 

ReSe2k wrote:

#1 or #2?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:30 pm 

Those arms are looking fiiiiine, if I do say so myself.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:46 am 

@laurentopia
Hell yeah :D I like the new screens...dynamic elements like the cables really add to the whole scene - making the Bydo warmachine more active and intimidating.
It's been a while since the "final" chapter of R-Type so maybe now is the perfect time for a resurrection :wink:
And yeah, I've played the first and second in the arcades...long time ago.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:56 pm 

That's incredible, it looks like a handcrafted piece of art. Is this going to be a fully playable game?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:33 am 

laurentopia wrote:
ReSe2k wrote:

#1 or #2?

Depends on what happens. I think mostly #1 (arms up/down close, not offset).

But I think they look pretty close together! Too close?
See original:
Look at the space allow for the ship in the original, and how small the ship is compared to the space. There's some room to squeeze through. Just something to consider.

Also, did you mention you might make them move and smash?
That'd be a fun surprise!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:18 am 

@MommysBestGames agreed, the proportions are still WIP, my arrowhead is way too big but it'll get there. The arm will have a multi sequence attack and if I get my way with the AI they'll even team up in certain conditions. Multi sequence attack and ... well, you'll see :)
@Ex_Mosquito, wow thanks! It's already playable just not very interesting to look at, still need to do some level building AI and animation - easy ;)
@Necromon I love these cables too and want them in but then I looked at the cpu profiler and coughed: 17 cables eat up 12ms which brings a game that plays at 210 fps down to 65fps and that's with one arm and no ship or lighting! I'm working with the guy who made the cable physics so hopefully I'll keep those nice looking cables 8) (man, physics is hard!)
The design of the arcade cabinet was not my favorite with the title font that looked heavy metal and didn't match the very cold metallic fond of the game title. I must have played #2 once and lost interest, you could tell it was from a different team.
@Deadliar After spending a week noodling with physics and not going very far I'm going back to gameplay this week, I have the force already working and the wave canon kicking ass so I'll start on the tractor beam. You mentioned interaction between tractor beam and the force, what did you mean?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:12 pm 

Stunning. I am trembling at the thought of playing a graphically beautiful R-type 1.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:49 pm 

laurentopia wrote:
@Deadliar After spending a week noodling with physics and not going very far I'm going back to gameplay this week, I have the force already working and the wave canon kicking ass so I'll start on the tractor beam. You mentioned interaction between tractor beam and the force, what did you mean?

You know how in R-type, or at least the earlier titles, you wouldn't really have much control over the Force once you launched it?

I was thinking that you could use the beam from a range, steering the force away/to you depending on how you use the beam. It wouldn't be full control, but certainly enough for some strategic play. Also just grabbing it back easier after launching.

Either way that's just a base concept. The idea of messing with the force/beam is a unique one to say the least. I can't help but also imagine rapidly bouncing the force into an enemy using the beam. Loads of potential.

EDIT:
Mighty be worthwhile to look at this for your enemy/tractor interaction ideas. it's like a Kirby shmup.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5PI4nmn0Kc&t=2m30s

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:26 am 

Deadliar wrote:
Mighty be worthwhile to look at this for your enemy/tractor interaction ideas. it's like a Kirby shmup.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5PI4nmn0Kc&t=2m30s

Thanks for the link, I just played the demo and it was a very strange feeling, like jumping from body to body without gaining anything.
The sense of self growth that comes from upgrading was absent. That's something to think about when making the tractor beam.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:33 am 

Oh lookey, a ring beam :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:10 pm 

Nice, awesome attention to detail! Probably even better in motion :wink:
As always, thanks for sharing :D

Offline Profile