shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:08 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Re: Mobile shmups - do you play them?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:35 pm 

There are only a few types of games for which a touchscreen as primary means of control actually works well. Sadly, real-time action games with a player avatar, such as scrolling shooters, are definitely not among them.

No, I get my portable video game fix on dedicated video game systems, and I prefer to use phones for communicating with people. Frankly, I often feel like IP owners porting shooters to phones over dedicated game systems is a big middle finger to their fans. The enhanced screen resolutions of this recent handheld generation have been a perfect opportunity to port many of the arcade games from the '90s and late '80s. Instead, Taito has decided they would rather challenge people to beat an already brutal game like Rayforce on a goddamn touchscreen.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:26 pm 

only losers play video games in public in the first place

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:52 pm 

Bananamatic wrote:
only losers play video games in public in the first place

What about arcades, though?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:55 pm 

even worse

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:19 pm 

Not convinced mobile and shooters go together. Sampled Futari on iPhone. They made as good a job as they could of it - but I can't get around plonking your finger on the screen.

There may come a day when a shmup that is designed from the ground up as a mobile/touch game appears. That might produce something rather good. But until that happens I remain uninterested.

If a tablet could be propped up in tate aspect and connected to a nice controller then you could have a mini arcade type of setup but that's not really mobile gaming.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:27 pm 

davyK wrote:
If a tablet could be propped up in tate aspect and connected to a nice controller then you could have a mini arcade type of setup but that's not really mobile gaming.

This is what I have for both my Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.0 tablet and Apple Mini iPad 2 with Retina Display tablet (circa 2014 + has 1080p support from the get-go) -- both have tablet carrying cases that allow for tate & yoko + the appropiate gamepads to play the mobile shmup apps that do support such bluetooth powered gamepads. Still better than having to be stuck with using the capacitive touch screen setup any ol' day, indeed.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:40 pm 

i have played gunbird and recently dodonpachi on my android phone a galaxy s6 they are fun to play when stuck somewhere like work

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:28 pm 

One of the few iOS mobile shmups that I somewhat like is "Independence: The Last Hope" from a Korean developer, but it is unfortunately no longer available in the Apple App Store. Could not find any info on it online so I did a longplay for historical purposes.

https://youtu.be/IUOqXD1Ptd8

Last edited by LiqMat on Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:33 pm 

You guys should consider "Shogun : Rise of the Renegade". They made everything really smart in terms of inputs, dynamic difficulty and it runs super smooth :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:28 pm 

Inheritage Boundary of Existance aint available on ios anymore too, though should be on android :(

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:51 pm 

According to Famitsu, the Ray series is being re-released/released on mobile. RayForce this spring with controller support and a new track from Zuntata. RayStorm also this spring. RayCrisis will be released for the first time on mobile this summer. I am cautiously optimistic; may have to finally padhack a MFi controller for arcade stick use.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:47 am 

No mention whether they're (especially Rayforce and Raystorm) iOS exclusive or not?

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:56 am 

Gespenst wrote:
No mention whether they're (especially Rayforce and Raystorm) iOS exclusive or not?

No, but Famitsu is platform agnostic, so there is reason to believe that Android might be in the mix. It would make sense given the use of the term re-release and the availability of Dariusburst on Android. The fact that Android doesn't have stupid controller restrictions like MFi would be a bonus.

BTW, I forgot to mention that these are part of a new line called Taito Classics that includes other releases – the primary purpose of the blurb was to announce Time Gal – and could be indicative of more care in the ports.

[EDIT: Time Gal is out for both iOS and Android, so signs point towards yes.]

Last edited by tate on Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:38 pm 

no
i have played strikers1945ii a bit, but the touch controls are pretty bad for shmups imo

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:40 am 

ReSe2k wrote:
no
i have played strikers1945ii a bit, but the touch controls are pretty bad for shmups imo

Like in any other gaming related issue, there is a learning curve.
I remember transitioning from arcade stick to console pad, waaay back. WOW, it was painful, i could never consistently do a hadouken. I still have issues with fighting games on consoles (on smartphone though, i rarely miss a special move, rarely)
Shmups are not that hard to get used to. I am talking virtual joystick (emus), not that crap finger under ship movement, that is bs. Joystick will forever be king, but V-joystick is not that bad :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:00 am 

I am incredibly alarmed by the idea of transitioning from a stick to a controller. Seems like self-harm, and I don't even use sticks.

Offline Profile