Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:46 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: 1917 - The Alien Invasion DX
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:56 pm 

Hey guys,

i just want to tell you that a new version of 1917 is available.

Here is the presstext:

Update for 1917 - The Alien Invasion Today Friday 16 December 2016
Launching today, Friday 16th December 2016, a new update for 1917 - The Alien Invasion.
Andrade Games, independent game developer from Heidelberg, Germany, announces a huge update for shoot’em up 1917 – The Alien Invasion.
The new name of the game is now 1917 - The Alien Invasion DX.

You are playing a weapon scientist, Dr. Brunhield Stahlmüller, who upgraded a WW1 triplane with superior alien technologies to attack the invaders.
You will avenge mankind and take the battle into the darkness of space until you reach an ancient alien world.

FEATURES:
* 3 new planes
* 3 more levels for a total of 8 ones with an epic final battle
* free update for those who own 1917 - The Alien Invasion
* 1917 - The Alien Invasion DX is available on Steam for $4.99

Last edited by Andrade-Games on Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:26 am, edited 5 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: 1917 - The Alien Invasion DX ( 3 new stages, 3 new plane
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:05 pm 

This is great! Thank you!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:22 pm 

Will have to try the new stuff; will the itch.io version be updated as well?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:52 pm 

Thanks.

Yes it will be uploaded on Itch.io in mid of next week. I will also create new trailers. But this will take some time.

Every airplane plays completly different - for example the third one can shoot 360 degree (by moving the ship on the vertical axis)
And the last one is a true hard mode with more Bullets.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:59 pm 

1917 The Alien Invasion DX is now also available on itch.io.

1917 DX on Itch.io: https://andrade-games.itch.io/1917-the-alien-invasion

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:06 pm 

The game is 50% off on Steam. Get it for $2.50.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/470060/?l=german

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: 1917 - The Alien Invasion DX (Wintersale, 50% off )
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:15 am 

So I finally got around to playing this--it's really cool!
I really like the art. It's grungy, and creepy, strange, and full of color. Right up my alley! Also, some nicely detailed and interesting menus.
Like a lot of the enemy designs, really neat to look at. I get so tired of vague, small, mechanical enemies in most games, or abstract shapes in others.
The music is pretty cool too, got a weird yet fitting vibe.
And lots of new content.. I think that's what pushed it over the edge for me. That it was really time to sit down and try this.
I'm not the best shmup player, and I think I'm in level 6 maybe? Anyway, it's a good difficulty. Tough for sure, but not terrible. And I've enjoyed the level design in some parts, where I was getting killed and had to change my strategy up. I think that was level 4? There were walls and guy's shooting 4-streams of bullets. They were fun to figure out.
And I love the insane story bits in between levels!

On to some things I hope you'll consider in your fine game:
1. When you die, it is very jarring to come back in so quickly that I usually get killed. I think it's okay to make it jarring and quick, the problem is the invincibility has me blinking and it's very hard to simply see where I am after I died. What if you with a bright white glow always around you (but still flashing on the inside player sprite if you want). I just really want something obvious to let me see my player when I come back in. It's *literally* killing me :)
2. The sound effects are pretty weak in the game, or very quiet, or non-existent. I think something that could help is a (1) player-bullet hitting something sound, and a (2)player hitting something invincible sound (like a wall), and a (3) big player death sound.
There are many ways to communicate where the player is, to make the player feel more "in the game". Sound FX is one of them, and shouldn't be ignored. Right now I don't feel very much like I'm really in the game.. I feel pretty disconnected. Sure the game is cool to look at, and the music is nice, but when I die, or am shooting something, I'm not feeling it much and I think improved sound effects could help a lot.
3. Okay, I know I just talked about feedback and feeling connected to the player and *usually* I agree more fx are better, but I'm requesting 2 things be dropped. (1) the large muzzle flashes when you shoot your big guns, and (2) the 'boost' effects for when you press up that seem to shoot out your back side but don't actually change the gameplay. The big muzzle flash is interfering with my peripheral vision for checking where my ship is, but focusing on bullets. The size and way it's flashing is confusing me as to just where my ship actually is, as I'm doing that thing where I'm staring at the enemy bullets but moving my ship outside my main vision, and I'm dying when I wouldn't consider I'd usually die. The same thing happens for that strange speed-boost effect that comes out of my ship, but doesn't actually help. It's just an extra flash that again is confusing my "center of gravity" --if you will-- for where I consider my ship to be.

Anyway, congrats on the big update, I'm enjoying the game. Give the feedback above a little thought and see what you think.

And to others out there, do give the game a go! I think it's still on sale for cheap on Steam (at least at the moment).

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: 1917 - The Alien Invasion DX (Wintersale, 50% off )
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:49 am 

Banned User

I played a little of this, and here are my thoughts so far:
-There's no real solid theme in the game. The music doesn't reflect the war part, and the voice is just completely out-of-place. I also think that the pixel graphics don't fit in.
-The difficulty increases way too much from level 1 to 2. I suggest either making level 1 harder, or putting another level between them.
-I don't like the infinite lives thing.
-Can you make the menu buttons selectable with the controller D-Pad? It doesn't make sense that I can use the analog stick, but not the D-Pad.
-Can you get rid of the "boost" thing when moving up?
-I noticed a bug: when firing "heavy" and hold up, the ship stops moving down. You could probably fix this by just disabling the "up" movement when firing heavy. I can't imagine this being very hard to fix.
-The controls and collision detection are great.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: 1917 - The Alien Invasion DX
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:49 am 

Hey guys,

Thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate this.

MommysBestGames wrote:
I get so tired of vague, small, mechanical enemies in most games, or abstract shapes in others.

Yes, i also don't like the generic designs of many shoot em ups.

Now to the critics.
I agree in many points with you:

- Sounds: Yes, this is a good idea and should be included. I think this is a solid ruleset and i will take use of them also in future projects.
- The muzzle flash: I have added this because the light shot is a laser and the heavy shot is a projectile weapon. But i cant argue with realism because we are flying into the darkness of space :)
And it was first intended to communicate the recoil of the Red Beezlebub. (@atheistgod1999: if you are pressing up while you are shooting heavy and you stand still - this is not a bug, because recoil and boost subtract the force from each other - this is why you shoot more focused when you are doing this trick.)
Maybe i should simply add the option to hide those effects.
- The flickering sprite and the bright white glow: Very good idea. I see, it is super important to have a solid communication of position and the center of the plane (that is the green flight deck). The muzzle flash and the boost work against this solid communication, this is why they are annoying.

atheistgod1999 wrote:
-I don't like the infinite lives thing.

No way to drop this. I hate classic lives. Especially when the game sets you back to the beginning when you lost 3 lives. And a one CC is still possible with the combo mechanic.

So thanks for the feedback and i think i will add some of the point for a "true" final build of the game.
Btw: My next project is a new version of "SturmFront The Mutant War" (new game design, more content, more playable characters etc.)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:55 pm 

Andrade-Games wrote:
I see, it is super important to have a solid communication of position and the center of the plane (that is the green flight deck).

Yup, you had it working well, but the extra flashing is counter-acting your work.
Andrade-Games wrote:
Btw: My next project is a new version of "SturmFront The Mutant War" (new game design, more content, more playable characters etc.)

Excellent! I think you are improving as a designer which is great, and a new SturmFront will be even better.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:01 am 

You can get 1917DX in a Groupee Bundle for $2.50

https://groupees.com/remute17

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:23 am 

This definitely looks like it's worth getting into. I'm getting a rather nice Toaplan vibe from what I've seen of its videos.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:26 pm 

I noticed that the itch.io purchase comes with both the old version and this new EX version. Is there anything unique about the old version that makes it worth keeping around, even something as simple as different stage balance?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:57 pm 

Hi Despatche,

yeah there are a few minor changes in the standard levels (the first five). For example there are new shields at the 5th boss and some enemy placements are a bit different. I kept it downloadable for people who love to see the differences and maybe want to play a older version. But at the end i would recommend playing the EX version. It has more content, better menus, more polish - its the better game :)

@ Krimzon Kitzune
Thanks, yes the pixel art from the Toaplan era is a big inspiration for me as a game developer. I love their clear and detailed art style.

Offline Profile