shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:36 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Blue Revolver
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:51 am 

Oniros wrote:
After seeing the timing for this update, I decided to change my Steam review. Nothing more than I can say about it really.

Wow, that is so petty and bitter. 1.9 hours on record. I've played this game for 60 hours and enjoyed every minute of it. It was worth every penny, it was the best game of 2016. The fact that it's been patched with more features and is on sale so more people can enjoy it is a great thing. Why are you upset about that?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:56 am 

So, Steam-only from now on? I do know where pretty much all the players and money are, but can I at least close Steam and still run the game?

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:05 am 

Oniros wrote:
After seeing the timing for this update, I decided to change my Steam review. Nothing more than I can say about it really.

What a vadge, this was afaik danbos first proper game release and like anything we all learn lessons and grow as we go through the motions, the mans taken full responsibility and rectified his errors and that at least should be enough to neutralize any sense of disgruntlement.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:12 am 

Iori Branford wrote:
So, Steam-only from now on? I do know where pretty much all the players and money are, but can I at least close Steam and still run the game?

Danbo wrote:
v1.1 is available free on Steam right now - DRM-free builds will be available on itch.io and Humble tomorrow (after ensuring there are no problems with the update). Huge apology to everyone who was waiting for this, the wait is inexcusable and the blame lies squarely with me.

1cc list | Twitch | YouTube

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:23 am 

Shepardus wrote:
Iori Branford wrote:

Danbo wrote:
v1.1 is available free on Steam right now - DRM-free builds will be available on itch.io and Humble tomorrow (after ensuring there are no problems with the update). Huge apology to everyone who was waiting for this, the wait is inexcusable and the blame lies squarely with me.

Only read like three words then pounded F5 on itch.io all day :oops:

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:49 pm 

Thanks for the update danbo! I like the addition of the break guide, especially when I haven't been playing recently. Do you plan to extend the replay/leaderboard functionality to other OS's in the future?

I have a feature request: In Cave's games the screen options allow you to shift play area around the screen. Since I play tate on a TN panel it helps to reduce the viewing angle by shifting the screen down!

Keep up the excellent work!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:16 pm 

Extending replays/leaderboards to Mac/Linux is something I'll take a look at - can't make any promises, I think it's possible but don't fully understand what's required yet.

Feature request noted! Thank you.

I'll be deploying a hotfix (v1.11) tonight that should fix replay desync issues, after that the DRM-free builds will be up on itch and Humble.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:24 pm 

Cool update! It may be later than what you initially expected and announced, but I don't mind at all. After all, the base game is very solid, not to mention bug-free (*cough* unlike the CAVE PC ports *cough*).
The new experimental weapons are fun to toy with, I like the idea! Defintely the highlight of the update for me, though the BREAK guide sounds super useful as well.

By the way, is it planned to have local leaderboards indicate the configuration used by the player? (Shot Type, Character, Weapon Type)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:11 pm 

Danbo, I nearly always play as val with the wide shot and since the patch, the unfocused movement feels really sluggish, it takes ages to get to the other side of the screen.

Is there any chance we could get a toggle in the options menu to choose between the speed before the patch and the new speed? I'm trying to get used to it and trying the other shot types.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:14 pm 

M.Knight wrote:
Cool update! It may be later than what you initially expected and announced, but I don't mind at all. After all, the base game is very solid, not to mention bug-free (*cough* unlike the CAVE PC ports *cough*).
The new experimental weapons are fun to toy with, I like the idea! Defintely the highlight of the update for me, though the BREAK guide sounds super useful as well.

By the way, is it planned to have local leaderboards indicate the configuration used by the player? (Shot Type, Character, Weapon Type)

Not currently planned, but it's a good idea.

clippa wrote:
Danbo, I nearly always play as val with the wide shot and since the patch, the unfocused movement feels really sluggish, it takes ages to get to the other side of the screen.

Is there any chance we could get a toggle in the options menu to choose between the speed before the patch and the new speed? I'm trying to get used to it and trying the other shot types.

It's not as simple as I would like to add something like that - it'd need special data in replays to prevent desync, as well as localization for the option, etc.

I should have made the ship speed a Feveron-style option in device select instead. I'll put this on my todo list, but I can't say the change will come super quick. I hope it doesn't make the game too hard for you to play right now.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:31 pm 

No, it's alright. I can always just use power shot i suppose, that's the same speed.

I might try and get used to the follow shot type actually, I tried that a few times and it's really powerful, I wasn't very good at using it though so I'll need to practise.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:32 pm 

I do just want to say that this was my favorite shmup release last year, and I am really excited to play with some of the new tweaks, especially dicking around with the canned weapons (some look a little OP!). Thanks for putting more work into the game!

Quick question for the curious: does the secret last boss only show up on Val's mode on Parallel difficulty? Or does Mae have one too?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:37 pm 

clippa wrote:
No, it's alright. I can always just use power shot i suppose, that's the same speed.

I might try and get used to the follow shot type actually, I tried that a few times and it's really powerful, I wasn't very good at using it though so I'll need to practise.

Yes, power shot is unaffected. Follow shot has very high DPS in certain situations, but it is rather difficult to use.

EmperorIng wrote:
I do just want to say that this was my favorite shmup release last year, and I am really excited to play with some of the new tweaks, especially dicking around with the canned weapons (some look a little OP!). Thanks for putting more work into the game!

Quick question for the curious: does the secret last boss only show up on Val's mode on Parallel difficulty? Or does Mae have one too?

Thank you! The True Last Boss appears for both characters on Parallel difficulty, and is the same regardless of character.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:01 pm 

I've pushed a v1.11 hotfix just now. This should fix some desync issues with replays.

The itch.io builds have also been updated. The Humble ones will be updated within the hour.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:38 am 

Is there any plans to bring this to a console? I think this game looks great, but I just don't ever sit down and play games on my PC unless it's a strategy or adventure game.

Rumor is, switch dev kits are cheap, and it sure would be cool to have a shmup in tate on handheld mode!

I would be happy with a port on any system though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:34 am 

Does this have 4:3 support?

gatsu25 wrote:
Rumor is, switch dev kits are cheap, and it sure would be cool to have a shmup in tate on handheld mode!

They're cheap but getting them is the problem. Our publisher went through the process which included sending a fax in 2017. Blue Revolver has a good chance of getting approved by Nintendo though since it's not on any other console which is what they're prioritising atm.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:04 am 

DoomsDave wrote:
Does this have 4:3 support?

Yep!

The engine we're using puts a big question mark over the viability of a console port, but we would like to approach Nintendo once we're absolutely sure there are no more updates we want to do to the game.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:17 am 

Nice! I'm going to pull the trigger. Been listening to bits of the OST on Soundcloud since before you released.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:25 pm 

Danbo wrote:
The engine we're using puts a big question mark over the viability of a console port, but we would like to approach Nintendo once we're absolutely sure there are no more updates we want to do to the game.

That's great to hear. Wishing you all the luck in the world with it. It's an incredible game with tons of heart that deserves that kind of exposure.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:15 pm 

The only gripe I have is that the replays & leaderboards don't distinguish a clear - the menu just shows ST5 irregardless of whether you die on stage 5 or clear the game. It'd be nice if there was a way to filter the leaderboards by character or shot type too.

Other than that I'm really liking the update! All of the experimental weapons are fun to mess around with, and I think the changes to Hyper mode really help make it stand out more from Parallel.

EDIT: Actually one other gripe I have is I wish you could save and submit replays for the experimental weapons. They fun shot types so it's a shame that leaderboards aren't implemented for them.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:37 am 

Danbo wrote:

v1.1 is available free on Steam right now - DRM-free builds will be available on itch.io and Humble tomorrow.

Sorry for noob question, but the version on itch.io mentions purchasing and receiving a steam key. Does this mean it is still DRM-free?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:13 am 

Leviathan wrote:
Sorry for noob question, but the version on itch.io mentions purchasing and receiving a steam key. Does this mean it is still DRM-free?

Yeah, you get both a DRM-free version and a Steam key; on itch, if you look near the bottom of the page where it says "you will receive the following files" and it lists an .exe or .zip or something, that means you get a DRM-free download (and also a Steam key, if mentioned in the description, as here). If it just says "Steam serial" or something like that then you just get the Steam key.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:26 am 

Awesome, thanks very much!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:03 pm 

Web view on the leaderboards for convenience: http://leaderboards.bluerevolvergame.com/

Klatrymadon wrote:
That's great to hear. Wishing you all the luck in the world with it. It's an incredible game with tons of heart that deserves that kind of exposure.

Thank you!

Leviathan wrote:

Yes, like BulletMagnet said, itch.io version gives you a DRM-free version of the game as well as a Steam key. Use it yourself or give it to a friend if you're not interested in Steam.

marus wrote:
The only gripe I have is that the replays & leaderboards don't distinguish a clear - the menu just shows ST5 irregardless of whether you die on stage 5 or clear the game. It'd be nice if there was a way to filter the leaderboards by character or shot type too.

Other than that I'm really liking the update! All of the experimental weapons are fun to mess around with, and I think the changes to Hyper mode really help make it stand out more from Parallel.

EDIT: Actually one other gripe I have is I wish you could save and submit replays for the experimental weapons. They fun shot types so it's a shame that leaderboards aren't implemented for them.

Leaderboards/replays not showing a clear is an oversight and I'll look at fixing it.

Leaderboards/replays for Experimental Weapon is definitely a possibility. If people like the weapons, I might refine it a little bit, add a few things and make it a fully-fledged Arrange mode.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:42 pm 

The version that is now available for download ist v1.11 right?
How can I get my "save" files from my old installation to the new version?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:01 pm 

unpopular opinion: break bonuses should auto fail if you die
would make the tlb less of an auto scoring snoozefest too

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:31 pm 

Shadolf wrote:
The version that is now available for download ist v1.11 right?
How can I get my "save" files from my old installation to the new version?

You shouldn't have to move any save files or anything, they're saved in your Appdata folder and read from the same spot regardless of the version.

Bananamatic wrote:
unpopular opinion: break bonuses should auto fail if you die
would make the tlb less of an auto scoring snoozefest too

I would rather award something like a "perfect break" multiplier (no miss, no bomb, no special where appropriate?) than auto-fail for death. Makes it more interesting for higher-level players without making breaks any more fiddly for beginners.

I agree with the sentiment though. The fast-and-loose nature of the game is exactly what I wanted for, say, Normal and Hyper modes, but for the top players in Parallel mode, you're not rewarded very well for not playing in a sloppy manner.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:11 pm 

Pushed another hotfix to Steam just now.

Fixes a bug with replays where the TLB is cleared.
Also, replays/leaderboards now differentiate full clears from ST5 runs.

Once it's established that there's nothing else that urgently needs fixing, I'll push a v1.11_fix version to itch and Humble.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:37 pm 

Just played two games, had a blast (seen a few gameplay videos so I knew what to expect gameplay-wise but I overlooked the OST which is much better than I thought).
Let's hope it eventually gets released on console and reach even more people !

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:18 am 

Danbo wrote:
Keade wrote:
Thank you !

PS. the game is 7.49€ on Steam right now (summer sales), I think it is the lowest price so far.

Yes, 50% off, lowest price so far and more than likely for a long time.

It's worth noting that the price has also dropped on Humble Widgets and itch.io – both available from http://bluerevolvergame.com. I missed it before because the drops didn't happen the day the Steam Summer Sale started. I'm pretty sure the two haven't tracked previous Steam sales.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next