shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:43 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
 Post subject: Re: Blue Revolver
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:40 am 

Danbo wrote:
Bananamatic wrote:
unpopular opinion: break bonuses should auto fail if you die
would make the tlb less of an auto scoring snoozefest too
I would rather award something like a "perfect break" multiplier (no miss, no bomb, no special where appropriate?) than auto-fail for death. Makes it more interesting for higher-level players without making breaks any more fiddly for beginners.

I agree with the sentiment though. The fast-and-loose nature of the game is exactly what I wanted for, say, Normal and Hyper modes, but for the top players in Parallel mode, you're not rewarded very well for not playing in a sloppy manner.

I think if you want to make deaths more punishing, making it so you lose your bomb stock when dying would help. Right now the scoring penalty for accidental deaths is small as long as you keep your bomb stock low. I'd be careful of adding more scoring opportunities, since at least in Parallel you can already get a lot of extends as is.

After playing a bit more, I have to say I like the changes you've made to the special weapons. It feels like all of the weapons are viable for scoring now which definitely wasn't the case before. I like that you buffed the variable shot types too but I think they might be too strong now. It's not too bad on the regular bosses since I think those kinda ran too long in the first place, but now you can finish all of the TLB phases before they even get to their hard parts so there isn't really any tension there anymore.

Personally I think the game is fun as is, aside from maybe the variable shot type strength as I mentioned. If you're thinking about making some kind of arrange mode though then I would be really excited to try that out, and it would be a good place to experiment with a more difficult system.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:44 am 

Personal blog post about why replays took so long, presented without comment: http://danbo.vg/2017/06/27/br-update-delay.html

marus wrote:
I think if you want to make deaths more punishing, making it so you lose your bomb stock when dying would help. Right now the scoring penalty for accidental deaths is small as long as you keep your bomb stock low. I'd be careful of adding more scoring opportunities, since at least in Parallel you can already get a lot of extends as is.

After playing a bit more, I have to say I like the changes you've made to the special weapons. It feels like all of the weapons are viable for scoring now which definitely wasn't the case before. I like that you buffed the variable shot types too but I think they might be too strong now. It's not too bad on the regular bosses since I think those kinda ran too long in the first place, but now you can finish all of the TLB phases before they even get to their hard parts so there isn't really any tension there anymore.

Personally I think the game is fun as is, aside from maybe the variable shot type strength as I mentioned. If you're thinking about making some kind of arrange mode though then I would be really excited to try that out, and it would be a good place to experiment with a more difficult system.

There's a lot of ways to approach the problem. Originally, the decision to suicide for more resources was very interesting to me, so I decided I wouldn't discourage that kind of thing with stage end bonuses etc. Now I'm not sure.

Variable damage is rather high, yes. I'm probably not going to change it for a while - like I say, nobody wants to play an STG that's constantly changing. Resetting leaderboards/replays/etc feels like undoing peoples' hard work.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:05 am 

I'm biased since I really like games where you suicide for resources, but I don't think there's anything wrong with the concept. In these types of games there ideally should be a distinction between purposeful and non-purposeful deaths though. A death in the wrong spot could either take away resources or prevent you from using your resources in the most optimal manner. Like you said there's a lot of ways to approach it.

Also thank you for writing that blog post. I realize that must have been difficult to write, but as someone who was looking forward to replay support I really appreciate you opening up. For the record I do really like this game, and it's currently my favorite shmup on Steam (aside from maybe Jamestown but that's more for the co-op experience). There's small things here and there that I don't like but I think it strikes a good balance between being approachable for newer players while also having interesting stage patterns and varied shot types for anyone who wants to route for score. The scoring system isn't as deep or challenging as most of the well-liked arcade shmups, and I think we would see scores level out if more of the top players were to take it seriously, but it's also a lot more intuitive than most bullet-hell games. All of that is to say I think you've earned any success you get from this game, and I'm looking forward to Stellar Circle's future works.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:14 pm 

Sorry if this has been asked before...I'm confused: why is the ship so much faster in missions than in "arcade" ?

edit : oh I see...thanks ! :)

Last edited by Keade on Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:45 pm 

Quick thing to ask: Steam gives a boost in visibility for games that hit 500 reviews with 95% positive rating, it's going to be a long road to get there but it's the next step to take in terms of getting the game in front of people. So if you bought the game on Steam, leaving a review helps us out - feel free to be as honest as you like, I'll gladly take something well-considered and fair over a review like "you die in one hit and it doesn't use the full screen, it's really strange!"

marus wrote:
Also thank you for writing that blog post. I realize that must have been difficult to write, but as someone who was looking forward to replay support I really appreciate you opening up. For the record I do really like this game, and it's currently my favorite shmup on Steam (aside from maybe Jamestown but that's more for the co-op experience). There's small things here and there that I don't like but I think it strikes a good balance between being approachable for newer players while also having interesting stage patterns and varied shot types for anyone who wants to route for score. The scoring system isn't as deep or challenging as most of the well-liked arcade shmups, and I think we would see scores level out if more of the top players were to take it seriously, but it's also a lot more intuitive than most bullet-hell games. All of that is to say I think you've earned any success you get from this game, and I'm looking forward to Stellar Circle's future works.

Thank you. The problem is going to be realising when to just leave the game alone - I still think I can make the game far better, but there is a cost for players in constantly tinkering with the game, and there's the risk of getting rid of things people actually like in the course of refining it (I mean, some people probably greatly enjoy being able to do a ton of damage with certain device combos!).

Keade wrote:
Sorry if this has been asked before...I'm confused: why is the ship so much faster in missions than in "arcade" ?

As of v1.1, the shot type affects your ship speed. Different missions have different ship "loadouts", so the speed varies.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:03 am 

In 1.11, the game crashes in the tutorial when I press a fire or bomb button:

http://i.imgur.com/gglRzn0.png

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:52 am 

WarpZone wrote:
In 1.11, the game crashes in the tutorial when I press a fire or bomb button:

http://i.imgur.com/gglRzn0.png

Thanks for the heads up! I'll get this fixed ASAP, in the meanwhile you can fix this by turning off Scoring Info.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:25 am 

For what it's worth, getting replays working on Linux would be this customer's #1 priority at this point.
(Is there anything interesting to mention about the technical limitations making that difficult?)

And yeah, speed selection would be nice, unless you strongly feel that some speed/weapon combinations are somehow game-breakingly overly advantageous, or something.
As long as you promptly announce your intention to break compatibility with v1.1 replays, I doubt many people would mind much if old replay compatibility does get broken in future updates, if it results in an overall-better game.

Danbo wrote:
Web view on the leaderboards for convenience: http://leaderboards.bluerevolvergame.com/

Thanks for that!
Might it be possible to add replay download links to that page?

Seems odd that the game doesn't come with any sort of readme file. Was gonna suggest putting that leaderboard link in the readme.

I still find the main menu highlighting a little confusing. I mean, it takes me an extra moment to mentally confirm that I've got the correct item selected.

No replays in Missions or Experimental Weapon modes? :(

Looks like the game fails to ask for a name to store in the replay file, if your score isn't high enough to make it onto the high scores list. :/

Would be nice if the cursor looped around when reaching the top or bottom of the replay selection menu.
And would be nice if the date format was less ambiguous. I.e., year/month/day.

Aren't the description & graphic wrong for Val's Follow type on the Shot Select screen?
And its icon on the replay selection screen.

Why do the bullets from Mae's Follow-type options spawn so far in front of the options? Looks kinda weird.

Looks like the tutorial text doesn't take button remapping into account.

Not a big deal, since it's the same speaker as the previous line, but for consistency's sake:
This line in the Russian translation is missing the "ДИ: " quote attribution:
"Только пообещай нам, что начиная с этого момента ты перестанешь жить столь безрассудно и начнешь следовать закону."

"I got a score of _ in #BlueRevolver v1.1!" <- Version number should be updated.

A few reminders:
"machinegun" -> "machine gun"
"what do you want from me!" - lacking question mark.
"VAL: I'm calling sick today." -> "calling in sick"
"from the bottom of our hearts" -> "bottoms"

@ http://bluerevolvergame.com/patchnotes/
Missing linebreak:
"drawn over enemy bullets. ​* Fixed a bug where"

I don't use Steam, but I'm curious:
What is the "How Dare You" achievement?
Is the "Supplies Delivered" achievement something like picking up the contents of every supply capsule in one run?
And I presume "The Perfectionist" simply requires using the "Restart" feature once?

Is the occasional unavoidable bullet wall in "Filibuster MK.V" mentioned here something that the player can prevent in any reliable way, or does it just occur randomly?

Danbo wrote:
nobody wants a STG that's constantly changing under them

Well, I hear rogue-lites have been kinda popular lately. =P
More seriously:
I think it's fine as long as these criteria are met:
1. The game is actually being clearly improved, rather than just aimlessly rejiggered for the heck of it.
2. You publicly announce your intention to make further changes, so that players know not to get too horribly invested in the not-final versions.
3. The final version does actually arrive, at some reasonable point.

I'm still wondering about this:
Winane wrote:
Who is Val's stage 1/2/3 boss? I don't recognize the portrait from any of the other character art I've seen. ???

Is that Val's Mom, or something? :?
Or maybe it's meant to be you, the author, seeing as how that's your avatar here??

Also, do you and Woofy plan on providing any more context for the game's story? I can't help but feel like I'm missing something, somehow...
E.g., what exactly is involved in being a freelance designer for Technicians? Why does Dee seem so disappointed that Mae's not doing the building as well? Couldn't any old person or machine handle just building her designs?

(Edit: Whoops, wrote down the wrong bullet pattern name before.)

Last edited by Winane on Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:32 am 

Winane wrote:
For what it's worth, getting replays working on Linux would be this customer's #1 priority at this point.

From the latest steam survey

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:25 am 

Replays on OS X / Linux are just a can of worms that I chose to keep closed / descope for this point in time. I anticipate a few issues - if the solutions are simple, no problem. If it's a huge amount of work, then it's hard to justify, sadly.

Probably no for replay download links on the web view? I'll check if it's possible.

Replays for missions don't make much sense to me (not like the mode tracks highscores or anything), but once I figure out what to do with Exp.Weapon it'll become a more fleshed-out mode in terms of these features.

Other concerns noted.

Achievements:
Spoiler: show
How Dare You is for entering a censored word on the high score screen.
Supplies Delivered is for crashing into a resupplier. It boggles my mind that like 20% of players have this achievement.
The Perfectionist is for restarting on Stage 1 three times in a row.

The wall comment actually refers to Filibuster. It happens randomly -- it's no good, hope you can bomb it. I had almost an entire rework of the last boss (everything but press and revolver) all but ready to go, but decided to hold it back for now. When it comes to that type of change (boss patterns, enemy layouts etc), I want to deploy it all as one big change, so there's less disruption for players.

I hate roguelites. I don't like when games are "in flux" a lot. Maybe I should have run this game like that, since I'm so slowly learning how to support a game post-release, but ultimately it's not what I would like as a player.
What one person sees as clearly improving the game is what another person might see as pointless rejiggering.

The ST1-3 boss for Val's scenario is a younger version of Val. It might make more sense if you see her ending, but maybe not - keep in mind she just kinda snuck into the game as a bonus character. Mae's is the proper ending.

As for context around the game's story: I don't have any input on that type of thing, ask Woof. Here's what I think: "Putting a lot of text in a game sure makes localization hard..."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:16 am 

So, I bought this game a couple weeks back, and finished building my new arcade stick yesterday, and figured I should give it a shot.

The hell? This game is completely fucking awesome. How did I not play this until now? It just feels good to play. Soundtrack's amazing, too -- I keep the volume cranked.

Online Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11