shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:52 am View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Starhall 2
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:00 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 17 Dec 2012
Posts: 250
_________________
Starhall || Abmneshi || Starhall 2

RegalSin wrote:
The art in my opinion is quesitonable, because it looks like it relies on computer art


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Starhall 2
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:01 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 25 Nov 2011
Posts: 2224
Nice, will totally check it out later today. Nice to see it finished! There's never enough shmup releases.
because.. you all know..
_________________
I miss the hype-days of saidaioujou.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Starhall 2
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:26 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jul 2012
Posts: 1968
Just played earlier and oh my god, that stage 4c boss theme is fantastic. Where did you find that?
_________________
BryanM wrote:
You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Starhall 2
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:14 am 


User avatar

Joined: 17 Dec 2012
Posts: 250
Cagar wrote:
Nice, will totally check it out later today. Nice to see it finished! There's never enough shmup releases.
because.. you all know..


Thanks :D ^.^

Lord Satori wrote:
Just played earlier and oh my god, that stage 4c boss theme is fantastic. Where did you find that?


It's called Light In the Darkness of Destruction, it's from an otherwise mediocre flash game called Bullet Heaven.
_________________
Starhall || Abmneshi || Starhall 2

RegalSin wrote:
The art in my opinion is quesitonable, because it looks like it relies on computer art


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Starhall 2
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:55 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 02 Dec 2010
Posts: 2781
Location: laser fantasy
i assume this is why you haven't bothered to update abmneshi and starhall? reminds me of zun development, heh. i think you need to put this thread in your sig and in the score thread

good call on swiping bullet heaven music, that game totally deserves it. they probably swiped it from somewhere else though
_________________
In 1989,The Great Wall was discoverd
In 1990,The Picket Fence was also discoverd


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Starhall 2
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:47 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 05 May 2014
Posts: 247
Location: Canada
Shouldn't this be in the development forum?
_________________
John and the Emerald


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Starhall 2
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:54 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 19 Feb 2008
Posts: 2624
Location: ND, USA
Nah, looks like a release thread.
_________________
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and pic/replay hosting! | My score history on RS


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Starhall 2
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:57 am 


User avatar

Joined: 08 Feb 2009
Posts: 4811
Finally gave this a go and the game crashed on stage 4 for me playing with Purple B on hardest difficulty. :(

What pissed me off the most was the inconsistently-volumed MP3s leading to an unnecessarily large download. If you're going to have a lot of music in your game you seriously need to stop using GM's internal system, it's a mess, it causes game stutter on loop as well as pretty much whenever a track is loaded and it gives alarm bells for amateurism. Normalise the tracks with Audacity, remove any prebaked loops in them, save as OGGs and use something like Caster or SuperSound to load them externally and load the associated tracks to be used for a stage before the stage starts, and give credit where it's due. I use GMFMODSimple and loop points for fancier tracks but I don't think you'll need it in this case, should you choose to go that route however feel free to look at GMOSSE to see how I implemented it. Also if you're going to go with Pokemon music you might as well use the originals in hi-def instead of some shitty microphone-recorded version.

Now, engine issues aside I'm digging this. I had some trouble reading the instructions because it was hard to read black text on dark trippy shit-coloured rainbow background but fortunately I was able to get the hang of it easy which is a must for shmups, and the patterns were generally nice and Cavey. I don't mean to rip this game to pieces, more people need to give this a spin - you make a gem by putting it in the tumbler and shaking, not by ignoring it.
_________________
Projects: G.M.O.S.S.E / Warbird A13:02 / Zenohell / XII STAG Hi-Score Thread


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Starhall 2
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:10 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 17 Dec 2012
Posts: 250
Despatche wrote:
i assume this is why you haven't bothered to update abmneshi and starhall? reminds me of zun development, heh. i think you need to put this thread in your sig and in the score thread

good call on swiping bullet heaven music, that game totally deserves it. they probably swiped it from somewhere else though


Okay, done ^.^

BPzeBanshee wrote:
Finally gave this a go and the game crashed on stage 4 for me playing with Purple B on hardest difficulty. :(

What pissed me off the most was the inconsistently-volumed MP3s leading to an unnecessarily large download. If you're going to have a lot of music in your game you seriously need to stop using GM's internal system, it's a mess, it causes game stutter on loop as well as pretty much whenever a track is loaded and it gives alarm bells for amateurism. Normalise the tracks with Audacity, remove any prebaked loops in them, save as OGGs and use something like Caster or SuperSound to load them externally and load the associated tracks to be used for a stage before the stage starts, and give credit where it's due. I use GMFMODSimple and loop points for fancier tracks but I don't think you'll need it in this case, should you choose to go that route however feel free to look at GMOSSE to see how I implemented it. Also if you're going to go with Pokemon music you might as well use the originals in hi-def instead of some shitty microphone-recorded version.

Now, engine issues aside I'm digging this. I had some trouble reading the instructions because it was hard to read black text on dark trippy shit-coloured rainbow background but fortunately I was able to get the hang of it easy which is a must for shmups, and the patterns were generally nice and Cavey. I don't mean to rip this game to pieces, more people need to give this a spin - you make a gem by putting it in the tumbler and shaking, not by ignoring it.


Not sure why there'd be crashes, nothing like that ever happened for me... it's probably something on your end? Computers are weeiird.

I'll look into the sound systems, that sounds useful~ I used EpicPilgram15's Pokemon remixes, I ended up having to use a youtube-to-mp3 website to get them which is obviously bad for quality but a lot of the other music had the same process and turned out okay... I'm not really sure.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback!
_________________
Starhall || Abmneshi || Starhall 2

RegalSin wrote:
The art in my opinion is quesitonable, because it looks like it relies on computer art


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Starhall 2
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:22 am 


User avatar

Joined: 22 Apr 2010
Posts: 832
Location: Dallas
Just tried it for the first time, got to the tlb on original first try before overing, good game, good job.

Btw, stage 3 music is the bomb, whats it called?
_________________
Image Image
[Cabinet 007]


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Starhall 2
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:39 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jul 2012
Posts: 1968
Yeah, you should really index the music you use in a text file or something.
_________________
BryanM wrote:
You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Starhall 2
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:33 am 


User avatar

Joined: 08 Feb 2009
Posts: 4811
Pteriforever wrote:
Not sure why there'd be crashes, nothing like that ever happened for me... it's probably something on your end? Computers are weeiird.

I'll look into the sound systems, that sounds useful~ I used EpicPilgram15's Pokemon remixes, I ended up having to use a youtube-to-mp3 website to get them which is obviously bad for quality but a lot of the other music had the same process and turned out okay... I'm not really sure.

Could be a few things but GM's audio system isn't too terribly good anyway and it's very likely "spontaneous" but tied to that sector in general rather than a single command you're using. If I ever get the time to try this again I'll see if I can replicate the crash.

For looping tracks MP3 just isn't going to cut it, and OGG as a format is better if you actually had the original source material in lossless format anyway. The volume was significantly different between tracks for me and this may have contributed to perceived quality, I suppose. Bit of effort but if you do it right you'll find it performs better and costs less in filesize in the long run.
_________________
Projects: G.M.O.S.S.E / Warbird A13:02 / Zenohell / XII STAG Hi-Score Thread


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Starhall 2
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:19 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 17 Dec 2012
Posts: 250
Aleksei wrote:
Just tried it for the first time, got to the tlb on original first try before overing, good game, good job.

Btw, stage 3 music is the bomb, whats it called?


Sorry it's taken me so long to reply... Anyway, it's untitled, it's by Kil6969, you can find it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3_aL49zt3Q
_________________
Starhall || Abmneshi || Starhall 2

RegalSin wrote:
The art in my opinion is quesitonable, because it looks like it relies on computer art


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: maximo310 and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group