shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:28 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 974 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
 Post subject: Re: Raiden V for Xbox One in 2015
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 5:01 pm 

Don't forget disc pressing and distribution. In bulk it amounts to very little but the fewer you do in a run, the more significant it gets. Digital has server-side costs that are difficult to pin down. Seeing as digital gives you less, I don't see how it can be worth the same as a physical release.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 5:09 pm 

HydrogLox wrote:
FYI: Seems the Xbox One stores now redirect based IP addresses
The japanese link
https://store.xbox.com/ja-JP/Xbox-One/Games/%E9%9B%B7%E9%9B%BB/7ac2743b-334c-47e5-b19f-74a79f81d559
takes me to the page on the Canadian store
https://store.xbox.com/en-CA/Xbox-One/Games/%E9%9B%B7%E9%9B%BB/7ac2743b-334c-47e5-b19f-74a79f81d559.

Thin edge of the wedge towards region locked online stores?

Italy here, and I can still view the Japanese page, Japanese language and Japanese price.
EDIT: Only if I open it in Incognito Mode in Chrome.

Is 7,344 yen a Moss thing (Caladrius Blaze PS3 also costs this much) or does every game have this price?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 8:40 am 

HydrogLox wrote:
Nobody can argue if you simply state "Raiden V isn't worth $50 of my money". It's your money and opinion - and you have to live with your choices. Past that you are simply whining that the product isn't available for the price that you are willing to pay. If you want it badly enough (and you have the money) you'll pay - if you don't care enough to pay the price then it's time to move on.

I did simply state it. That's why I said, "I don't see a justification for that price" :P

HydrogLox wrote:
You never actually managed to use "inflation math against itself" - you just keep confirming it. Also inflation isn't about "spending power" but the cost of things like milk, bread, cars, houses, etc. - here you are conflating the notions of "cost of living" and "average income". If you as an individual do not take action to change your circumstances (e.g. gain additional skills and experience to get a better source of income) then inflation will often outpace your inherent income growth - thereby undermining your "spending power" over time. The resulting decline of your personal "spending power" has no influence on the prices around you.

Inflation simply captures that if you want to purchase the equivalent shopping cart of goodies that cost you $400 in 1993 then you better have $659.19 ready in 2016. There is no assessment about the relative "spending power" of the individual pushing that shopping cart of goodies through the checkout in 1993 or 2016.

I had a point regarding using the inflation math argument against itself, but I believe I messed up trying to get it across (like by forgetting to put "argument" after "inflation math"). Let me try again...

I conflate these things (inflation/cost of living/average income/etc.) because they all go together. You need it all to paint a more accurate picture when trying to use 1993 money and compare it to 2016 money the way your chart did. Charts like that are used to try and justify pricing, or to create a false sense of perceived value. They're used to make it seem as if $40 now is somehow worth more than it was then. And frankly, that's not the case, because charts like that omit the broader purchasing scope that $40 had back then vs what it has now.

Anyway, I believe that was my "using it against itself" idea... maybe. I'm too tired to tell right now :lol:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 11:56 pm 

Raiden V is out on the UK Xbox store for £39.99 i hope i like it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 1:58 am 

I bought this in the US store but I can't get any of the online stuff to work. I can't view the leaderboards, I can't use the online cheer system....even achievements don't work for me since I couldn't even get the achievements for starting story mode or beating the stage 1 boss. Everything else that's online on my console works. That put a real damper on things for me so I only played it once...hopefully it will start working soon :(

Edit: saw an official tweet from Moss about network features being down for the international version.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 10:15 pm 

CStarFlare wrote:
Does anyone with industry experience/sources know how much it actually costs to print a copy of a game with box, inserts, real instruction manual etc?

Honestly, I feel like the big problem with physical distribution is that you have to commit to produce at least X number of units. I don't know how high X is, but the publisher will have to lay out all that money up front. Even if it is just $5, you're talking a significant amount of money if you need to produce 5 or 10 thousand units. I'm also not counting any money the publisher has to pay the developer, per copy. They have to be paid somehow, yes? Now this has gotten to be pretty expensive.

Digital distribution just makes a lot of sense for a niche market. I'm honestly kind of shocked that Raiden V got a physical release in Japan to begin with.

I'm also kind of shocked at the sales figures iconoclast posted on the previous page for the older Raiden games. I feel like they can't be right, especially the Raiden III figures where the 1st week and lifetime numbers are the same. Did the game really sell 0 copies from week 2 onward? That's even fewer units than the Xbox One console =p

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 11:46 pm 

Those numbers are from Media Create, and they're as reliable as it gets for Japanese sales data. I'm sure Raiden III sold a little more over time tho, it's just that the document I have re-uses the first week's number when there's no further data.

btw Raiden V is a fun game.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:54 pm 

So the story does change according to how you play. The C path will end after stage 6, and features a different ending that actually involves the suicide of one of the characters.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 12:18 am 

I believe the more copies you print at once, the less you pay for each.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 2:16 am 

Generally yes, but it's not like if you print 10000 it'll be cheaper than 5000 or anything.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 12:40 am 

I've put around 40 hours into this so far. I'm not done with it, but I think I've played enough to form a solid opinion.

+ I like the way it looks. Technically, it's not that good, but I like the art design, locales, colors, camera work, etc. It's just not very polished.
+ Good soundtrack. Yoshimi Kudo is underrated.
+ Very nice presentation. The menus, all the extra shit in the UI, the anime opening video, etc makes it look like they had a good budget to work with.
+ Good stage design. Some sections are a little too breezy, but for the most part it's well paced with enough variety in the enemy layouts & enemy types.
+ Each run takes over an hour. Some people won't like that, but since it's a relatively simple game, I think it's for the best. There will be plenty of chances to screw a scoring run up. Plus it's a single loop game, so that's 60+ minutes of unique content.
+ TLB conditions. You have to max out all of your weapons by the last boss to fight him. Considering the pros & cons of each weapon for every section of the game adds more strategy & depth to it.

- Weapons are badly balanced. I haven't found much reason to use anything but the Swing Vulcan, Laser, and Catch Plasma. The other weapons have some interesting properties, but they all seem totally inferior to me.
- Scoring needs some adjustments. For the most part, it's fine the way it is. The only problem I have with it is how a TLB run has less scoring potential than a regular run. This could easily be fixed if they'd just add a flat 5-10 million point bonus for destroying the TLB, or they could do something more interesting by giving you an end bonus for each of your weapon levels, like Strania. Anything to make a TLB run more lucrative would be good, since the game is a lot more interesting that way.
- Visibility issues. Not a big deal, but sometimes bullets can be hard to see. Even enemies can be hard to see when they're against a colorful background that's scrolling super fast.
- No training mode. You can start from the beginning of any stage with preset weapon levels, but a proper training mode that allows you to start from any scene and fully adjust weapon levels, bombs, shield, etc. would be much better.
- No replays. Come on.

It's not an amazing game, but I like it a lot. It'll be even better if they strengthen the other weapons and fix the scoring.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 3:10 pm 

If I were to import this game from Japan, do I still have to go to the marketplace and see if I can download the update including English text and voice acting or is it already there? Just making sure.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 3:58 pm 

I would imagine its like most games on Xbox and that you get prompted for the patch when you start the game.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 1:22 am 

Because I'm thinking of importing this from Japan. Either way, I get the game.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 10:19 am 

Some Americans will not be getting the game because its not $5.00 :(
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691088-xbox-one/73766226

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 10:27 am 

Modern gamers and their "content" obsession :roll:

Still think the price is nuts for any digital only game though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 2:46 pm 

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691088-xbox-one/73766226/852100740
Quote:
Money isn't an issue, I was looking for something new but when I saw this game for 50$ I lold

Just reinforces my notion of a game consumer who is routinely misidentified as a "gamer".

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 6:08 pm 

I'm just wondering that if I import the game from Japan, will the English text and voice acting be already installed in the game if I start it up on my Xbox One?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 7:00 pm 

xxx1993 wrote:
I'm just wondering that if I import the game from Japan, will the English text and voice acting be already installed in the game if I start it up on my Xbox One?

No you will get that with the update.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 7:03 pm 

I went ahead and just paid the $50, as Raiden was one of the series that got me into shooters to begin with way back when. I wanted to show my support that there is still a fanbase, no matter how small, for these types of games. We'll never see a Raiden VI if this one doesn't do well.

To answer the question above, I do believe if you purchase the Japanese physical copy, that the patch updates it to the english version when played on a domestic console. I cannot personally confirm this, but that is what I have read to be the case elsewhere on the net. I may buy the physical copy too at some point, just to have it.

As far as the rest of this thread goes, it seems to have just devolved into a console wars fight. We're barely even discussing the new game due to all the point > quote > counter point nonsense going on in here. I don't post much at all, but I do frequent this forum and read topics fairly often because some of the members here are more in-tune and in the know about shooters than anywhere else on the internet (at least in the english speaking realm that I can read anyway.)

I gave up this console wars crap during the Super Nintendo / Sega Genesis days. If a console has games I want to play, I buy it, period, regardless of manufacturer. All the anti-Sony or anti-Microsoft stuff is really just childish. Both consoles are very similar, and the overlap between the libraries is probably somewhere around 60-70% of games available. People at work start this talk all the time, and they get ticked at me because I'll just play devil's advocate for whichever console they are trashing. I personally own the Xbox One, so it worked in my favor for Raiden V. I went with Microsoft because I like shooters like this, and the 360 had a wealth of Cave titles and such made for it. I also owned a PS3 last gen, because despite a weak library of disc-based shooters, there was a healthy back catalog of ones on the Japanese PSN store I missed out on, or didn't want to hook up old rigged PS1 or PS2 consoles and disc swap to play imports anymore.

Point is, I'll go where the games are, and could very well find myself with a PS4 down the line if it gets shooters that I can't get on Xbox. That's how it is, and has always been since the earliest console battles. My first console was Mattel Intellevision, and it had some superior ports to the Atari 2600 versions, but the overall library size wasn't near what Atari had. So make whatever arguments you want about what you can afford, inflation, what typical gamers in Japan do, or in the west, or whatever really, no one single console is ever going to completely have every game you might want to play. You just choose the one that offers more exclusives that you're interested in early on, then purchase the other console down the line when the price drops. If you can't do that, then just accept that you won't play certain games, and keep your snide comments to yourself, and I mean that both ways.

Self perceived wit and cleaver one liners only impress you on the "post preview" screen, to everyone else, it's just thread clutter. Now that I've ticked off half the people here (probably), I'll share my thoughts on the new game. :mrgreen:

The music is decent on Raiden V, but I would have liked at least one remixed tune from one of the classic titles, that was one thing I really liked about part IV. What we got is catchy enough in places I suppose, nothing thrilling in my opinion, but decent. The graphics are par for the course, and the gameplay is very challenging. I like that you don't de-power your weapons upon losing a ship (more on that in a moment) and that there are three variations of each weapon type to choose from. The Purple options in particular are all very fun to use, but Blue is still highly situational and my least favorite. The third Red option changes the spread of the waves by letting off the shot button and tapping up or down on the D-pad to narrow or spread out the patterns then pressing shot again to re-engauge auto-fire, it was confusing at first but really pretty versatile.

Some balked at the "life meter" concept coming to the Raiden series, but it is just an "extra lives" counter under a different guise. Once that "Health meter" depletes and your ship blows up, it is the end of your run, requiring you to continue. So each "chunk" of the meter is basically a "ship", with a bumped delay each time you are hit. Essentially a game mechanic that really hasn't changed at all, and just has a different coat of paint.

Overall, I'm pleased with the game. I set the "Cheer" button to one of the triggers, so that when someone needs cheering, I can nail it every time without having to move my thumbs off an important function to hit a face button for that function. It is standard Raiden fare otherwise, with all the challenge and frustration that you would expect, but also all the fun and excitement the series has always been known for. After playing through a couple of times, though, I think I'll go into options and turn the voices off. Their conversations during gameplay were mildly interesting the first two times through, but now when they talk about coffee at the start of stage 2, I just want to pause and go make coffee myself! I grew tired of that fast enough, but the core game is good enough to keep me playing for some time to come.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 8:47 pm 

I will get that with the update? What do you mean? I have to go to the marketplace and download it from there anyway?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 9:42 pm 

So this looks promising:

http://www.mayflash.com/Products/XBOXXBOX360/XB018.html

Adapter that doesn't need an official controller connected in order to work! Hoping for a better price than the £40 it's currently on Amazon for before my Raiden V disc turns up though...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 3:19 am 

xxx1993 wrote:
I will get that with the update? What do you mean? I have to go to the marketplace and download it from there anyway?

No, what they meant exactly as if when you install your Raiden V physical copy onto your X1, the English patch should appear once you probably boot the game and/or wait for the update to download, simple as that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:05 am 

Christmas is saved!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 1:21 pm 

I understand. So I'll just import the game for my Christmas gift.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:17 pm 

Hello All. I bought the Jpanaese version from VGI and installed on the XBOX. I didn't download a patch by clicking anything but one day everything went English where before it was Japanese.

Hope that helps.

I like the game.

TS.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:10 pm 

Yeah, it was an automatic update for me as well.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 1:59 pm 

Okay then, I guess I'll import the game after all.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 12:39 am 

Guys, when the update came along, other than the additions of English text and voice acting, did it change anything at all? Has the TLB conditions changed? Do I have to reach the A and S routes to fight Divine Rampart now?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 12:58 pm 

No one wants to talk on this board anymore? I've got a friend who goes by the username "Sturmvogel Prime" who's currently struggling with the game right now...

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 974 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next