shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:21 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 974 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 33  Next
 Post subject: Raiden V for Xbox One in 2015
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:41 am 

http://www.4gamer.net/games/262/G026225/20140918009/

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Raiden V for Xbox One in 2015
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:46 am 

on the other hand if they just straight up make an ace combat and say "here's raiden v" i will laugh so hard and almost be ok with it

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:47 am 

Sony needs to counter this and get Gradius VI made exclusively for PS4.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:55 am 

So, is this a shmup or what?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:58 am 

Is is a shmup? Is it bullet hell? Is it a new Metal Gear game? SO MANY QUESTIONS!!!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:59 am 

Banned User

I want to see the toothpaste laser in 3d so I would actually be ok if they took it in that direction.

Hi-score thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34327

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:00 am 

It's a manic danshitsu with a giant shitbox.

Raiden 3 was so pathetic I still haven't tried 4.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:04 am 

if you don't like iii, you don't like raiden. also, saying you won't play iv because you didn't like iii is legitimately insane thinking.

the sad thing is that you would probably like iv and end up hating iii even more. so random.

Drum wrote:
I want to see the toothpaste laser in 3d so I would actually be ok if they took it in that direction.

i actually would not mind it being like sonic wings assault or starfox or something. those work really well at being "3d shmups", i think.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:12 am 

I never played Raiden IV on Xbox 360 but I bought IV Overkill on PS3 the day it came out and didn't regret it. I'm always trying to improve my scores and that alone is addictive.

Great game.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:13 am 

Hmm nope, that's a load of crap. Raiden was my favorite game period for a while, when it came out it blew me away. And Raiden 2 was a worthy sequel, though not particularly groundbreaking. Raiden 3 is a steaming pile of shit. It's hard to think back of a time I've been more disappointed in a game. I have no opinion of 4. I will give it a chance when I can, but I won't buy a console to do it. I don't know anything about Moss, if they have any x-Seibu staff or whatnot, but my god Raiden 3 is so infinitely boring. I cannot imagine it holding your attention past the first boss, what a piece of shit "game". Absolutely terrible.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:19 am 

Raiden IV is an improvement on Raiden III in virtually every imaginable way. It is the opposite of III: fast, challenging, frenetic.

OT: I wonder if its telling that most of the promo-art has been showing the backside of the Raiden jet, as if preparing us subliminally for a 3D shooter.

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:28 am 

@Spork: It's my opinion that III is the low point of the series. IV is a better game, from what I've played. I think it's worth playing if you've got a 360.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:32 am 

Is this now an Xbone exclusive!?

EDIT: As answered in another thread, it apparently is. :(

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:04 am 

Muchi Muchi Spork wrote:
Hmm nope, that's a load of crap. Raiden was my favorite game period for a while, when it came out it blew me away. And Raiden 2 was a worthy sequel, though not particularly groundbreaking. Raiden 3 is a steaming pile of shit. It's hard to think back of a time I've been more disappointed in a game. I have no opinion of 4. I will give it a chance when I can, but I won't buy a console to do it. I don't know anything about Moss, if they have any x-Seibu staff or whatnot, but my god Raiden 3 is so infinitely boring. I cannot imagine it holding your attention past the first boss, what a piece of shit "game". Absolutely terrible.

EmperorIng wrote:
Raiden IV is an improvement on Raiden III in virtually every imaginable way. It is the opposite of III: fast, challenging, frenetic.

it's pretty clear that neither of you have actually played any of the games listed in your life. you have to be insane to think that raiden iii is particularly different from previous games.

point 1: it's a little easier, and it doesn't loop normally... that's it. the game is still fundamentally the same; same pacing, same types of enemies and patterns, same everything.

point 2: the original raiden itself is the antithesis of groundbreaking. it's nothing more than a toaplan clone, and not one that can be said to be "better". it's a fun game, but a total ripoff.

there is no magical quality that somehow makes iii worse, and there is no place for "innovation" in any discussion about raiden. raiden iii is considered the low point of the series through sheer randomness/lying, and raiden is considered to be groundbreaking because people magically forgot about all those toaplan games when it hit the floors (read: sheer randomness/lying).

(raiden fighters exists anyway simply because it can, never mind that it was never meant to be a raiden game to begin with)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:12 am 

I mostly agree, but R3 does have one BIG difference compared to the rest of the series: no horizontal background scrolling with your movement. This is a trait I actually think makes 2 player coop much better.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:20 am 

Banned User

I knew this would either be called Raiden V or Shin Raiden.

My guess is that it will still be a traditional STG, but with more sweeping, cinematic camera movements and angles, along with into-the-screen attacks that cross through the 2D plane. Something more along the lines of Eschatos, Ginga Force and Strania.

Raiden III is okay. It's far from the pinnacle of its series or genre, but you need a warped frame of mind to consider it bad. I do appreciate that it has a smoother difficulty curve than IV.

Advance warning: If this gets a US release, it's guaranteed to be digital only. UFO has publishing rights to the series in the US, and they have completely backed out of the retail market.

Last edited by Pretas on Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:27 am 

chempop wrote:
I mostly agree, but R3 does have one BIG difference compared to the rest of the series: no horizontal background scrolling with your movement. This is a trait I actually think makes 2 player coop much better.

good point, i completely forgot iii doesn't have horizontal scrolling. i'd think most people would consider that to be an improvement, considering how much people complain about sniping. and yes, it's a clear improvement for dual player.

on the subject, i'd like to see a game with no horizontal scrolling but with the horizontal range that games with it tended to have. i guess those silly vertizontals try to do this, but i also feel they're doing it wrong. like, imagine a proper old toaplan or a raiden where you could see everything from left to right.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:29 am 

Despatche wrote:
like, imagine a proper old toaplan or a raiden where you could see everything from left to right.

That is called a Psikyo game.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:36 am 

well, no, psikyo still uses the same general "scale" for everything; it's no different from something like the fire shark localization (other than psikyo games being properly designed for it, of course). if you "stretched out" a toaplan or raiden like i'm suggesting, the whole picture probably look more like a square than the rectangle that it does.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:59 am 

I can't fucking wait any longer!!!!! I must see that trailer NOW! I need more new music from Go Sato!!! Someone help me I'm having a excitement overload!!!
Despatche wrote:
on the other hand if they just straight up make an ace combat and say "here's raiden v" i will laugh so hard and almost be ok with it

I actually for one would buy it and play the shit out of it every day until my eyes bleed!!!! Ace Combat and Raiden are my two favorite series. But something like that would have to be a spin-off of course. The main series has to be only shmups. Also where the hell is the vertical tail fin on the Raiden jet?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:12 am 

Ugh. I really don't want xbone to be the new console for shmups.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:36 am 

Blinge wrote:
Ugh. I really don't want xbone to be the new console for shmups.

Ditto. Them moneyhats from MS Japan though.

*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:04 am 

It's not gonna be as clear cut this time. M2 is supporting PS4, and from what I understand several ex-Cave guys are working there now; Ikargua creator Hiroshi Iuchi is currently creating a PS4 shmup at M2.
Japanese doujin developers also seem to have chosen PS4 in favor of Xbone. Xbone had the worst launch of any home console ever in Japan, with only 23,000 units sold during launch week (which is only about a third of what 360 did at launch in Japan) and sales dropped down to merely 3,000 last week; the system is dead on arrival there and will do considerably worse than 360, which in itself was a huge flop in Japan.

I think that Japanese developers who create exclusive shmups for Xbone are really hurting an already unpopular genre by not making their games available as widely as possible. Bringing them exclusively to a dead system in their country of origin is idiotic.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:31 am 

They've clearly been given enough money up front to not give a shit.

Fuck that noise. I'll wait till the xbone is emulated, thanks. Shouldn't be long.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:45 am 

Ceph wrote:
I think that Japanese developers who create exclusive shmups for Xbone are really hurting an already unpopular genre by not making their games available as widely as possible. Bringing them exclusively to a dead system in their country of origin is idiotic.

Does it even matter? Every STG that was released on the PS3 sold like shit despite the much larger install base. In all likelihood, the people who are willing to buy these games are probably willing to buy whatever console they get released on. Nobody else cares (unless they're a 99 cent app).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:00 am 

Stevas wrote:
They've clearly been given enough money up front to not give a shit.

Fuck that noise. I'll wait till the xbone is emulated, thanks. Shouldn't be long.

You do realize that not even the original Xbox has been emulated yet?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:09 am 

It was tongue in cheek, yes.

But also an indication of how much I want to avoid buying one of them things.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:13 am 

iconoclast wrote:
Does it even matter? Every STG that was released on the PS3 sold like shit despite the much larger install base. In all likelihood, the people who are willing to buy these games are probably willing to buy whatever console they get released on. Nobody else cares (unless they're a 99 cent app).

It does matter. You severely limit the pool for prospective buyers by choosing to make games for the least relevant gaming device on the market and catering to a niche within a niche which, as the history has shown, is only bound to get smaller with time. The last batch of Xbox 360 shmups struggled to crack a thousand units on release. This is not a sound business strategy. PS4 + Steam(and possibly Vita) should be the way forward for any sensible shmup developer if they care at all about relevance and profitability.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:15 am 

Doesn't need to be a 9 dollar app. I reckon a 10 dollar Steam release can sell well depending heavily on the game.

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:19 pm 

damn now I need to get a new machine

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 974 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 33  Next