* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:06 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Starhall Redthel [Freeware]
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:15 pm 

Download: http://www.forgottenplanet.com/caillan/ ... edthel.zip

So yay, I've finally finished it :D

We have now already come to the dull paragraphs in which I explain my inspirations and intentions and stuff. Firstly, I wanted to forcibly defenestrate everything that made Abmneshi a total mess from my initial plans. So, you can look forward to no awkwardly varying pixellation, no offputting overworld screen, and no randomised-to-a-stupid-degree patterns :) One thing which definitely carried over though was the use of two separate mechanics in place of a conventional bomb system, although in a greatly altered form.

The scoring system is based mostly on not using your special attack and collecting a static variety of pointitems which are often in hard to reach spots, adding a risk vs reward mechanism. The scoring system is not intertwined with extra lives at all, as scoring and survival play should not work towards the same goal. The number of extra lives is probably excessive, but this is only because I got frustrated to an insane degree over XOP Black Ultra's stinginess with them, so blame Christopher Emirzian and not me.

As for the game's theme, I basically started with the very unoriginal idea of basing stages off of the four classical elements, and it kind of grew from there.

So yeah. I'm fairly sure I had more to say, but I can't think of anything right now. Have fun everypony ^.^

RegalSin wrote:
The art in my opinion is quesitonable, because it looks like it relies on computer art

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Starhall Redthel [Freeware]
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:01 pm 

Neat. Just gave it a got to the final boss (loving the music by the way) on original. 9,176,141. Probably not that impressive but something for others to beat. The scoring system seems quite cool, those yellow point items are extremely hard to resist!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:33 am 

What's up with the fucked up name? Why not just starhall, or redthel? I forgot the name in literally 15 minutes after reading this thread.

Anyways, gonna give it a serious try as i'm a serious fan of GM-shmups.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:29 pm 

Thanks everyone!

I don't really know where the name came from. They're both names I had always wanted to use in a game but never got around to until now. ^.^

RegalSin wrote:
The art in my opinion is quesitonable, because it looks like it relies on computer art

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:34 pm 

Beautiful game. Hell mode cleared(30,551,231 forgot shottype), 3 failed attempts of hardest difficulty all ending in final stage.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:28 am 

Does graze really add 1 to your point value for every 100 grazes? That seems a little underwhelming.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:07 am 

I think I really overestimated how much graze one would get, that's why the rewards are that awful. Oh, and good job ^.^

RegalSin wrote:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:01 am 

14 lives at the end of the 2nd stage of final boss initiates TLB for difficulties hell and above? I had 15 lives at that point in hell mode and TLB appeared. I have gotten a few patterns in at 2nd stage final boss for final difficulty, so no clear yet, but seems doable without that much effort.

Weak Boson wrote:
(loving the music by the way)

The music is great.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:12 am 

Yep, that's right :3 Good job reaching it by the way.

Thanks about the music (: It was made by EpicPilgram15 so you might want to tell him that: http://www.youtube.com/user/FreakoutChaos

RegalSin wrote:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:16 am 

On boot it stated that it couldn't detect sound and might not play. It did and there was sound. Then couldn't quit the game when I wanted to and had to do a C/A/Del which then created a sound loop which I could only get out of by re-booting the PC.

Windows 7 64 with an Asus sound card.

Nice game though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:06 pm 

Mm, I am pleasantly surprised how well this plays.

So I beat the easiest difficulty with a score of some 17,300,000, had 6 lives left.
The difficulty of some segments are a little wonky- the stages were at times much harder than the bosses.
On the bosses themselves, I often had little to no trouble dispatching their final attacks, which was the case in stages 3, 4, and 5.

Maybe it was just my shot configuration, but the player defs feels a teensy bit underpowered. PurpleBxLight does, anyway.
The bomb deals next to no damage and will give the player two or three seconds of invincibility haha.

The scoring system is nice and reminds me of the rage I'd have playing Ten Desires, having to rush the top of the screen to collect point items amidst incoming enemies and bullets flying everywhere. The fact that dying will nuke the screen helps a lot bahahaha.

I'll have to give it a run on a higher difficulty sometime later.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:24 am 

cool name

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:34 am 

Taizen Chisou wrote:
Mm, I am pleasantly surprised how well this plays.

So I beat the easiest difficulty with a score of some 17,300,000, had 6 lives left.
The difficulty of some segments are a little wonky- the stages were at times much harder than the bosses.
On the bosses themselves, I often had little to no trouble dispatching their final attacks, which was the case in stages 3, 4, and 5.

Maybe it was just my shot configuration, but the player defs feels a teensy bit underpowered. PurpleBxLight does, anyway.
The bomb deals next to no damage and will give the player two or three seconds of invincibility haha.

The scoring system is nice and reminds me of the rage I'd have playing Ten Desires, having to rush the top of the screen to collect point items amidst incoming enemies and bullets flying everywhere. The fact that dying will nuke the screen helps a lot bahahaha.

I'll have to give it a run on a higher difficulty sometime later.

Thanks ^.^ I didn't really notice the difficulty doing that, but okay then, maybe it does. It's probably just the shot type, that one in particular I realised is a little glitchy, it looks like each beam hits multiple enemies at once but it doesn't really.

The special is intentionally weak since it's so easily renewable, and also to avert the ridiculous psychotic frenzy one goes into when dying with a full bomb stock.

Glad you like the scoring, I decided that was the best way to add a risk vs. reward element :3

Despatche wrote:
cool name

Yeah, I quite like it too ^.^ Thanks

RegalSin wrote:

Offline Profile