shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:46 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2975 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100  Next
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:20 pm 

Shepardus wrote:
Which mode are you playing? The EX routes in AC mode can be quite a challenge (though still easy compared to the toughest shmups out there).

Some later Chronicle and CS mode missions get way harder than any of the ACEX routes. CS mode tends to have harder boss fights since your horizontal space is far more limited (eg. Great Thing) and many safespots no longer work.
You can stack shields in most CS missions but they added a big bonus for taking no damage in stages. In AC you can get hit with barely any cost in a lot of situations.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:30 am 

To what extent can one de-waifu-ize DDP Resurrection? Disable backgrounds, voices, etc.. I want to support PC shmup releases but the emphasis on anime girls... I don't like it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:40 am 

The only girls are the bosses, good luck removing that. Is it really that bad that you can't get over it?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:32 am 

Wasn't there a bug with a boss turning invisible? Do you think we could ask Degica to add that back?

1cc list | Twitch | YouTube

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:47 pm 

trap15 wrote:
The only girls are the bosses, good luck removing that. Is it really that bad that you can't get over it?

Not really bad, but enough to have stopped me from buying the game in the last few sales. Not my thing. I'm sure I'll pick it up eventually; it just keeps getting bumped down the list.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:54 pm 

Are there any credits in Strania? If so, do they extend? And can you not continue if you lose against the true final boss?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:47 am 

reckon luck wrote:
To what extent can one de-waifu-ize DDP Resurrection? Disable backgrounds, voices, etc.. I want to support PC shmup releases but the emphasis on anime girls... I don't like it.

You can change the wallpapers to generic ones. You don't really notice the bosses as being anime girls that much when you're actually playing since half the time they're in ship mode and the other half they're covered in bullets. The voices can be annoying though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:56 am 

xxx1993 wrote:
Are there any credits in Strania? If so, do they extend? And can you not continue if you lose against the true final boss?

(1) Yes. (2) Yes. (3) I don't know.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:07 am 

Well, if credits do extend, then what's the point of not having to continue against the final boss?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:37 pm 

To make it so you can't see the ending unless you're actually good at the game.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:31 am 

I've seen the final boss battle.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:55 pm 

xxx1993 wrote:
I've seen the final boss battle.

There's a TRUE final boss battle if you don't continue.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:30 pm 

Wait, you saying I can only fight Yosemite in Strania if I don't continue?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:51 pm 

xxx1993 wrote:
Wait, you saying I can only fight Yosemite in Strania if I don't continue?

There's the battle against him in his giga mecha which you can reach with or without continuing, and the last phase of the duel between you and him in the Vower homeworld if you don't continue at all
Same goes for the Vower Side DLC

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:39 pm 

Isn't there also a difficulty requirement for Strania's TLB fight? I seem to recall you needed to play on Hard difficulty, and he didn't show up on Normal.

YouTube Videos
1CCs

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:13 pm 

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
Isn't there also a difficulty requirement for Strania's TLB fight? I seem to recall you needed to play on Hard difficulty, and he didn't show up on Normal.

Oh yeah, the TLB only shows up when going for a 1cc on Hard.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:56 pm 

I thought you could only fight Yosemite by playing on Hard or Expert, no one told me you had to beat it without continuing.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:27 pm 

Try credit feeding it on Hard and if the TLB doesn't show up, there's your answer. :)

YouTube Videos
1CCs

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:25 am 

xxx1993 wrote:
I thought you could only fight Yosemite by playing on Hard or Expert, no one told me you had to beat it without continuing.

One thing you could do is have someone who's good at the game beat it for you, but in order to say you've beaten it, try the following:

- Have them pass the controller to you in-between stages when the score is tallied up or during cutscenes
- Lightly place your hand over theirs during the game (not too hard, you don't want to mess them up)
- Offer them tips and strategies during the game, such as "Great job!" and "You can do it!"

I know it's not exactly the same, but this should be about equivalent to just credit-feeding through.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:48 am 

ardiel wrote:
reckon luck wrote:

You can change the wallpapers to generic ones. You don't really notice the bosses as being anime girls that much when you're actually playing since half the time they're in ship mode and the other half they're covered in bullets. The voices can be annoying though.

Picked this up in the current sale. Changed the background, voice volume to 0, it's all good. :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:02 pm 

NTSC-J wrote:
xxx1993 wrote:

One thing you could do is have someone who's good at the game beat it for you, but in order to say you've beaten it, try the following:

- Have them pass the controller to you in-between stages when the score is tallied up or during cutscenes
- Lightly place your hand over theirs during the game (not too hard, you don't want to mess them up)
- Offer them tips and strategies during the game, such as "Great job!" and "You can do it!"

I know it's not exactly the same, but this should be about equivalent to just credit-feeding through.

If I did have a friend, maybe.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:08 pm 

Use it as motivation. Work towards achieving your goals.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:48 pm 

How can I train my brain to be better at shmups?

I've been playing for years and I still have this one problem that never improves, and that is my brain cannot fully comprehend what's going on at certain points. I just can't register all these different dangers at the same time and end up running into something because I can't see it. It's like my senses just start shutting down.

Complicated dense patterns: ok.
Five different kinds of bullets with different shapes, colors, directions and speeds: not ok.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:49 am 

ardiel wrote:
How can I train my brain to be better at shmups?

I've been playing for years and I still have this one problem that never improves, and that is my brain cannot fully comprehend what's going on at certain points. I just can't register all these different dangers at the same time and end up running into something because I can't see it. It's like my senses just start shutting down.

Complicated dense patterns: ok.
Five different kinds of bullets with different shapes, colors, directions and speeds: not ok.

It's no different than training your body to be good at anything else - practice. Memorization means you won't run into things you can't see, because you already know they are there. I don't think there are any shortcuts unfortunately.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:41 am 

Practice and simplify to the point where you're not parsing all the different threats individually, you're just avoiding them because that's what you do. You don't think about all the different muscles you contract and relax when you move your hands and fingers, you just see it as pressing a button. It should be the same sort of thing with the things you do in the game.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:31 am 

How am I supposed to practice? What does that mean?

Just playing is obviously not enough because I've been doing that with zero improvement.

Most things like sports or instruments have methods of practice which are more than "do the thing over and over"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:42 am 

Depends on what you're having trouble with. Most practice for sports and musical instruments boils down to identifying what you're having trouble with, and repeating an exercise that isolates that deficiency so you can focus your attention on it. Take advantage of savestates and different difficulty settings if you can. For Dragon Blaze I practiced some patterns in slow motion so I could learn the motions at a pace where I could keep up (there's a flag you can pass in MAME to do this), and increased the speed as I got more familiar.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:54 am 

According to your description of the problem you have, it can be easily solved by buying DariusBurst Chronicle Saviours (or getting the PSP or Android/iOS version) and fighting the boss called "Great Thing" about ten to one hundred times a day.
...unless it's exactly the game you're having trouble with.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:58 am 

Well the problem is being able to see everything. Literally. Like some stuff becomes invisible to me. I can't learn how to avoid it if I can't see it.

AxelMill wrote:
According to your description of the problem you have, it can be easily solved by buying DariusBurst Chronicle Saviours (or getting the PSP or Android/iOS version) and fighting the boss called "Great Thing" about ten to one hundred times a day.
...unless it's exactly the game you're having trouble with.

I have that game and that boss doesn't seem particularly troubling, as opposed to things like the last stage of Daifukkatsu, or some of the stuff in Crimzon Clover or Ketsui. Or some of the nonsense in the Touhou games.

Edit:
Also in Daifukkatsu I usually do ok until the last stage where I end up losing the extends I've earned and face the boss with like two lives. I pretty much expect to die at least twice to the laser things.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:46 am 

Wait, you're having trouble with DFK's final boss with two lives to spare? Got you covered.
I have this very deep strategy called "bomb and laser inside of her". Bear with me: when you bomb, you're invincible, right? Well, nothing stops you from moving your ship inside the boss (or above, however you want to describe it) and shoot your laser. The laser deals much, much more damage if you point blank. As soon as the bomb runs out, move away and repeat, unless she's about to change phase. It's the final boss, so, unless you care about scoring, you have no reason to not waste them.
You shoule be able to kill her in 5 or 6 bombs, so in a "full" life. Try it in practice mode like I did, it works wonders.

It's almost cheating, I know.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2975 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100  Next