shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:38 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3056 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 98, 99, 100, 101, 102
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:17 pm 

I believe the new version is supposed to be more difficult, and judging from our Hall of Records thread I would also assume that it doesn't loop forever, but I haven't tested it out myself.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:03 am 

It's been many years since I played it, I'm guessing the version that starts on a forest level and allows you to adjust the options is the Japanese, the one that starts in a city and has smart bombs is US? Oh, and that soundtrack...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:44 am 

Yes, that would be correct. You should also start the US version with two options already whereas in the Japanese version, you don't have any of them whatsoever.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:09 am 

Thanks. 8 take it the JPN version is the way to go?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:58 pm 

Is there any concensus on DotEmu's R-Type? I'm using an Amazon Fire Stick, and there's hefty lag. On one hand, I'm just using the pack-in remote, not a dedicated controller; on the other, I know DotEmu has a reputation. Thanks much for any info!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:09 pm 

dreadnought wrote:
I`m trying to play Ikaruga on a modded PAL Wii via Nintendont. The console is connected to a PAL CRT TV via SCART RGB cable. Everything is fine apart from the fact that enemies and my ship move with certain regular stutter, as if missing a frame.

It`s a PAL version (NTSC results in "red tint" flaw which goes with the whole RGB - NTSC thing) and I tried different settings, like forcing PAL50 and PAL60 in Nintendont`s options - to no avail.

Was wondering if anybody encountered this problem before and/or can think of a possible solution.

The PAL version of GC Ikaruga is a hatchet job. It skips frames to run at 50Hz. You are likely detecting this.

The US version will run on an unmodded PAL Wii with a Freeloader. If using the component cables it will run in 480p - just hold down the B button when the game is loading and you will get the option to run at 480p.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:02 pm 

I have a question about Dodonpachi Daioujou.

I watched the STG Weekly video on the game and at the Death Label segment people were mentioning that there have been others who have cleared it. I have been trying to find videos if there are any of them, but I haven't found anything.
Does anyone know anything more about these? I'd like to see more on Death Label and I've already watched everything on YouTube.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:13 pm 

Phaegendra wrote:
I have a question about Dodonpachi Daioujou.

I watched the STG Weekly video on the game and at the Death Label segment people were mentioning that there have been others who have cleared it. I have been trying to find videos if there are any of them, but I haven't found anything.
Does anyone know anything more about these? I'd like to see more on Death Label and I've already watched everything on YouTube.

The video you've probably seen: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm15603191
Another Type A clear (second loop, link to first loop can be found in description): http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm16410006
- YouTube mirror: First loop, Second loop
Type B: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm19003307

1cc list | Twitch | YouTube

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:58 pm 

Great. I have seen the first one you posted, but not the others. Not being in English explains how I missed the other one.
Haven't used Nico Video before, so I'll just have to find my way around there.
Thanks for the help!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:11 am 

Not really shmup related, does anyone have tried the software AutoHotKey? If so, regarding of this post is it possible to change the rapid rate, like 10hz 15hz 30hz etc?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:31 pm 

Once you have a template script it's really easy to adjust the firing rate and use a separate script per game. Different games read inputs in different ways, so sometimes simply a SEND script with a delay will work, and sometimes you need to SEND DOWN, delay, SEND UP, delay. Once you understand how it works it's quite easy. The majority of shmups are super easy to setup and adjust, and it's also obviously great for key rebinding for keyboard play on games with no keyboard rebind options.

The only really complicated script I've ever had to make was an autofire script for Phantasmagoria of Flower View to add a true rapid shot button (there's an alternate setting in the options that gives autofire but messes up the way focus movement works). It wasn't resuming rapid fire after a charge shot or bomb if you held rapid shot the whole time, and would behave oddly when using the focus movement. Wasn't playing nice with my usual AutoHotKey solutions at first until I made a probably really unnecessarily complicated script that basically checked each possible combination of key states for Shot, Focus, Bomb, and the virtual Rapid Shot to determine how it should behave.

I sometimes get twinges in my fingers so I wonder if I'll eventually get full blown arthritis or something. Either way, I'm grateful to AutoHotKey so older PC shmups without rapid fire don't turn into hours of repetitive mashing.

In this script:

Quote:
$*z::
While GetKeyState("z","P")
{
Send {z down}
Sleep 10
Send {z up}
Sleep 10
}
return

The SLEEP command is what controls the delay (in milliseconds). You need the SLEEP command after sending the input (key down) usually because some games won't register properly if you immediately stop the input after (key up). Then, after the second SLEEP, that's the delay before repeating.

You can tweak the time in between each to adjust the rapid fire rate accordingly, and if you're playing something like the Mushihimesama PC port, you could setup multiple shot keys with different firing rates if you wanted (which is a sign the game's scoring is way too silly if it requires this, I still think Mushi's a fun game but I shake my head at that scoring).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:36 pm 

Think this question may have been asked before, but why can't you fire in the final boss battle in Radiant Silvergun and Ikaruga?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:31 pm 

How do you access same same same from the pal version of fire shark on md, also tatsujin?...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:51 pm 

AFAIK there's no option within the games themselves. You need to play on a Japanese region console, or an emulator with the region set to Japan. I'd guess a region-switched console could work too, but I've never looked into that.

Ah, good ol' multiregion days before lockouts were a thing and MD carts behaved just like AES ones.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:08 am 

Cheers BIL, yeah it worked with the region switch on the console. Seems so obvious now!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:57 pm 

In MD Grind Stormer you can switch to V-V mode in the options menu. But I don't recommend playing MD Grind Stormer or V-V.

I don't think there are any differences between MD Same³ and Tatsujin regions except title screen and ending text?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:03 am 

OmegaFlareX wrote:
I don't think there are any differences between MD Same³ and Tatsujin regions except title screen and ending text?

There are some differences in difficulty with both games. Any version on a JP system has more and/or faster bullets.

BIL wrote:
AFAIK there's no option within the games themselves. You need to play on a Japanese region console, or an emulator with the region set to Japan. I'd guess a region-switched console could work too, but I've never looked into that.

Ah, good ol' multiregion days before lockouts were a thing and MD carts behaved just like AES ones.

I have a region switched console and both games and I can confirm that switching to JP version works for both Truxton and Fire Shark.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:55 am 

Can anybody suggest a good resource for high-res scans of Japanese arcade cabinet marquees? I've used the World of Arcades for some of the Cave and Raizing scans but I was after Darius Gaiden, SSFIIX, MVC, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:40 am 

Shmuppers: what are the best PS2 controllers out there for shmupping? Are there any D-Pads out there worth a damn? The stock controller hits the four cardinal directions fine, but it's awful doing diagonals on it and isn't comfortable to play on for long games. The analog stick... works, but obviously sucks for tap dodging.

Arcade stick recommendations for PS2 (or PS1 + PS2?) also appreciated.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:48 am 

The Saturn-style PS2 pads are supreme, but extremely expensive nowadays.

My videos
Rolling Start!! - Arcade Racing Game Forum

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:56 am 

There's an older cheap Mayflash arcade stick that works natively with PS2. Strip the naff stock parts out and replace them with your preferance. Allows you to switch the stick between analogue and d-pad, should games not like one or the other.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0015P ... ref=plSrch

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:51 pm 

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
Shmuppers: what are the best PS2 controllers out there for shmupping? Are there any D-Pads out there worth a damn? The stock controller hits the four cardinal directions fine, but it's awful doing diagonals on it and isn't comfortable to play on for long games. The analog stick... works, but obviously sucks for tap dodging.

Arcade stick recommendations for PS2 (or PS1 + PS2?) also appreciated.

I recommend the ASCIIware stick. Though it's made for the PS1, it works just as well with the PS2 shooters I own.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:43 pm 

xxx1993 wrote:
Think this question may have been asked before, but why can't you fire in the final boss battle in Radiant Silvergun and Ikaruga?

I don't know if there is a real or canon answer, but I always assumed it would simply be damaged from the stage 6 fight or some force from being thrown through time before the final fight.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:59 pm 

I'd have to assume the latter, because I don't recall the Silverguns taking damage prior to that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:14 pm 

Anyone that's played Arkanoid vs. Space Invaders for the iPhone/iPad or Android, here's a question I want to ask now. I beat all 150 stages, but it feels like I'm not really done with the game. Is there more to the game? Is there an even bigger final boss and ending?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:45 pm 

STGAlmond wrote:
xxx1993 wrote:

I don't know if there is a real or canon answer, but I always assumed it would simply be damaged from the stage 6 fight or some force from being thrown through time before the final fight.

I think in Ikaruga you charge up the final array of missiles/lasers to destroy the final boss so you can't shoot while it's charging. The ship's AI tells you the ship will be destroyed by the energy release before the ending.

In Radiant Silvergun, I'm not sure, but seeing the final boss brings you way back in time, it has probably something to do with it disabling your weapons.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3056 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 98, 99, 100, 101, 102