shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:15 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1327 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45
 Post subject: Re: The Self-Introduction Thread
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:52 am 

Hello, I just joined here a few days ago and I wanted to introduce myself.
While I've known about shmups for a very long time, I didn't get to start playing them seriously until somewhat recently.
I started off with touhou for a while but now I'm ready to start playing arcade shmups.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:35 pm 

Good evening, dear forum members. I have been siphoning off valuable info from this forum for long enough, I felt it was time to start contributing. I will also start one of those fancy 1CC lists (hopefully not only with easy titles :oops: )

Thank you and good night.

Edit: I forgot to mention: The first game I ever cleared in one credit was.. Silkworm (yes), but not in the arcade, I played it on Amiga 500. The port was comparatively good though, unlike other ports from arcade to Amiga.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:48 am 

cupcakewarrior wrote:
Hello, I just joined here a few days ago and I wanted to introduce myself.
While I've known about shmups for a very long time, I didn't get to start playing them seriously until somewhat recently.
I started off with touhou for a while but now I'm ready to start playing arcade shmups.

CUPCAKE!!! Guess who it is. Guess.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:43 pm 

Hi everyone

I am relatively new to this thing but I am a big arcade gaming fan and want to get more stuff and learn.

Especially interested in the market place to quickly grow my collection.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:00 am 

Hello it took me a while to discover this thread.
I'm Winona. I've only very recently took a serious intrest in shoot 'em ups.

A while back I was into touhou but that was it, but a game came out after a while called Undertale... this got me intrested in "bullet hells" and especially touhou again.

But after touhou I somehow decided to get into the shoot 'em up genre overall, especially after ocassionally running into forums like this. I've tried harder shooters at first unsucessfully such as Ikaruga, now I'm currently playing Mecha Ritz and can almost 1cc Touhou: PoFV but im going to wait on that game a little bit because the controls are awkward on a gamepad where it's hard to use focus mode and fire at the same time with default bindings.
Though I now have the parts to build an arcade stick but no soldering or hole drilling skills. (though i I feel like I could likely pick up soldering easily)

I'm probally one of the younger people on this forum, (20 years old) and as such I haven't really grown up with shmups or have really been exposed to them at all until very recently... but I'm very intrested in the genre in general, both new games and classics. Platforms I have available for shmups include PC, PSX/PS2, Wii/GC, and Switch. I have an xbox 360 in this house but it's not something I really have much acess to unfortunately.

I hope to eventually 1cc a decent amount of games and get to a point where I feel confident playing for score.
I don't really know what else to say but I'm excited to be here. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:26 am 

My, such enthusiasm. Undertale is certainly a meme around here but I thought it was a cute little rpg thing (perhaps a tad overrated). Touhou is also a meme but for different reasons, mainly the high amount of testosterone. There are a lotta dadposters here but some of us are younger; I'm 24 and I know good scorers who are even younger than you. It's also a huge sausagefest here and it gets pretty rowdy at times but don't let it discourage you; I am a moderately accomplished lady and I know several more. If you want to 1cc a lot of games to gain experience, that's cool, but if/when you decide to start doing score runs, focusing on one game you like will make you a lot better at not just that game but also similar games. Contrary to popular opinion around here, a lot of great scoreplayers play with a simple controller or keyboard, so you don't have to splurge on an arcade stick. If you *do,* however, make sure it's responsive and tight, probably a Seimitsu (I personally recommend the LS-32). The more popular fight sticks are perhaps a little too rugged and wide for shmups. I'm lookin forward to seeing some runs. Mecha Ritz is pretty choice as far as doujins go, by the way, and tragically underplayed. I am a Psikyo fetishist, myself, but Cave and Raizing are the devs that get the most hype around here. Look deeper, however, and you will find a lot of appreciation for the classics as well as doujins. Welcome aboard.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:18 am 

Well building a stick is something I've wanted to do for a while, and yeah I got a seimitsu ls-32 stick with sanwa buttons... The reason I splurgged on a stick now is because I'm not really satisfied with my current controller for 2D games and shmups. It's a logitech f310, it's dpad is okay but not the best, and the controller is slowly falling apart. I also realized I could build a stick for rather cheap if I'm selective with the parts and maybe padhack a psx controller I have laying around instead of buying an expensive pcb, and it's likely to last me a while.

Also yeah I figured... Undertale was like a decent game when it came out but it's fanbase is a bit obnoxious now. :roll:
Touhou is good but I can see why it could get a lot of flak from forums like this. (it's way too popular, space ships are replaced with cute girls, etc...)

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1327 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45