shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:45 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45
 Post subject: Re: The Self-Introduction Thread
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:52 am 

Hello, I just joined here a few days ago and I wanted to introduce myself.
While I've known about shmups for a very long time, I didn't get to start playing them seriously until somewhat recently.
I started off with touhou for a while but now I'm ready to start playing arcade shmups.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:35 pm 

Good evening, dear forum members. I have been siphoning off valuable info from this forum for long enough, I felt it was time to start contributing. I will also start one of those fancy 1CC lists (hopefully not only with easy titles :oops: )

Thank you and good night.

Edit: I forgot to mention: The first game I ever cleared in one credit was.. Silkworm (yes), but not in the arcade, I played it on Amiga 500. The port was comparatively good though, unlike other ports from arcade to Amiga.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:48 am 

cupcakewarrior wrote:
Hello, I just joined here a few days ago and I wanted to introduce myself.
While I've known about shmups for a very long time, I didn't get to start playing them seriously until somewhat recently.
I started off with touhou for a while but now I'm ready to start playing arcade shmups.

CUPCAKE!!! Guess who it is. Guess.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:43 pm 

Hi everyone

I am relatively new to this thing but I am a big arcade gaming fan and want to get more stuff and learn.

Especially interested in the market place to quickly grow my collection.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:00 am 

Hello it took me a while to discover this thread.
I'm Winona. I've only very recently took a serious intrest in shoot 'em ups.

A while back I was into touhou but that was it, but a game came out after a while called Undertale... this got me intrested in "bullet hells" and especially touhou again.

But after touhou I somehow decided to get into the shoot 'em up genre overall, especially after ocassionally running into forums like this. I've tried harder shooters at first unsucessfully such as Ikaruga, now I'm currently playing Mecha Ritz and can almost 1cc Touhou: PoFV but im going to wait on that game a little bit because the controls are awkward on a gamepad where it's hard to use focus mode and fire at the same time with default bindings.
Though I now have the parts to build an arcade stick but no soldering or hole drilling skills. (though i I feel like I could likely pick up soldering easily)

I'm probally one of the younger people on this forum, (20 years old) and as such I haven't really grown up with shmups or have really been exposed to them at all until very recently... but I'm very intrested in the genre in general, both new games and classics. Platforms I have available for shmups include PC, PSX/PS2, Wii/GC, and Switch. I have an xbox 360 in this house but it's not something I really have much acess to unfortunately.

I hope to eventually 1cc a decent amount of games and get to a point where I feel confident playing for score.
I don't really know what else to say but I'm excited to be here. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:26 am 

My, such enthusiasm. Undertale is certainly a meme around here but I thought it was a cute little rpg thing (perhaps a tad overrated). Touhou is also a meme but for different reasons, mainly the high amount of testosterone. There are a lotta dadposters here but some of us are younger; I'm 24 and I know good scorers who are even younger than you. It's also a huge sausagefest here and it gets pretty rowdy at times but don't let it discourage you; I am a moderately accomplished lady and I know several more. If you want to 1cc a lot of games to gain experience, that's cool, but if/when you decide to start doing score runs, focusing on one game you like will make you a lot better at not just that game but also similar games. Contrary to popular opinion around here, a lot of great scoreplayers play with a simple controller or keyboard, so you don't have to splurge on an arcade stick. If you *do,* however, make sure it's responsive and tight, probably a Seimitsu (I personally recommend the LS-32). The more popular fight sticks are perhaps a little too rugged and wide for shmups. I'm lookin forward to seeing some runs. Mecha Ritz is pretty choice as far as doujins go, by the way, and tragically underplayed. I am a Psikyo fetishist, myself, but Cave and Raizing are the devs that get the most hype around here. Look deeper, however, and you will find a lot of appreciation for the classics as well as doujins. Welcome aboard.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:18 am 

Well building a stick is something I've wanted to do for a while, and yeah I got a seimitsu ls-32 stick with sanwa buttons... The reason I splurgged on a stick now is because I'm not really satisfied with my current controller for 2D games and shmups. It's a logitech f310, it's dpad is okay but not the best, and the controller is slowly falling apart. I also realized I could build a stick for rather cheap if I'm selective with the parts and maybe padhack a psx controller I have laying around instead of buying an expensive pcb, and it's likely to last me a while.

Also yeah I figured... Undertale was like a decent game when it came out but it's fanbase is a bit obnoxious now. :roll:
Touhou is good but I can see why it could get a lot of flak from forums like this. (it's way too popular, space ships are replaced with cute girls, etc...)

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Whats up Shmups!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:54 pm 

I just wanted to introduce myself.

I have be a long time lurker and have finally made an account to see some of the more restricted places here on the form.

I am a long time a arcade and video game collector. I also mod over at reddit for a few arcade subs http://reddit.com/r/coinop and http://reddit.com/r/crapmame

Anyway glad to be here and finally official!

amoore2600

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Whats up Shmups!
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:24 pm 

Welcome to the farm!

ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:59 am 

Hi shmups-forum,
quick self-introduction: I like verts and horis (among the latter preferable those without environmental hazards), and I'm a tinkerer, working on my own little shmup. I also mod and build sticks (among other stuff I build inverted, "left handed" sticks, even though I'm right handed). That's it, have a nice day.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Whats up Shmups!
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:17 pm 

amoore2600 wrote:
I just wanted to introduce myself.

I have be a long time lurker and have finally made an account to see some of the more restricted places here on the form.

amoore2600

Same here. I was bit by the arcade bug a bit ago, made an account here but never actually posted.

I finally re-arranged my desks and soldering station so I can work on some gaming projects. One of which will be to test out and get my MVS motherboards working. I have a few that I was able to snag for cheap and am trying to understand how to make a test rig / supergun using what I have on hand. I am an absolute noob at arcade stuff (I'm better with computers and consoles) and unfortunately don't have the space for a full cabinet right now.

Eventually I want to get a cab or two going; one for me and one for my boyfriend. He loves shmups more than I do and maybe I can surprise him with a mini supergun setup by his birthday. :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:33 pm 

Dear forum,

I would like to introduce myself: I like shmups, know a thing or two about game development, build my own sticks and dissect those of others.
Thanks for having me.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:40 am 

Just got a candy cab to play some shumps on! First two I got are aero fighters and strikers 1945 2

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:01 am 

Not usually a person who uses forums and i have looked on here from time to time and just decided so it might aswell make an account on here and also meet some cool new people.

I think i got into SHMUPS around 2003-2004 around the time my uncle gave me a old copy of MAME on disc and that introduced me to games like R-Type, Viewpoint,Blazing Star,Prehistoric Isle in 1936 and a bunch of other games that i can't remember right now. The kind of games i like tend to be turn based strategy games, puzzle games (been getting into Tetris the grandmaster this year) the odd VN here and there but i do also like some of the really weird experimental stuff that's comes out of the indie game world aswell.

Some of you already know me as Kprice45 on on Twitch (T4N3,Frenetic,Trap15,Aquas,and Icarus what's up guys?)

I'm from the UK but i'm one of those horrible Londoners people seem to dislike, to give you an idea of what part of London i'm from i live not far from where Skepta,JME,Frisco and alot of those grime MC's come from but sadly i've never ran into any of them on the highroad irl :( (well except Frisco but that was at an event so different ting)

Recently after watching Cream's sick 1CC on Raiden 2 i decided to give the game a try out after not playing it in years....and the game kicked my arse rahted its hard.

P.S. if i ever use any bits of slang that sound alien to you don't hesitate to ask

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:53 pm 

Hi all.

Despite sucking at shoot`em ups*, I love them. It`s part sentiment - Scramble was probably my first ever videogame and watching my mate`s Defender wizardry (1 credit = multiple score counter resets) an introduction to serious gaming.

The only twitch games I was ever good at are fps ones - however recently I got the strange urge to delve into the vert/hori world again...and to my astonishment I`m doing much better than 3 decades ago ;) Weird, I thought these neuromotoric skills degrade with age. There`s something immensely beautiful about the genre - aside from gfx/sfx - some sort of trance like tranquility when you get in the zone and weave through patterns.

I`m also a CRT fanatic and that mostly prompted me to register here - need to compare notes on some issues.

*I cannot stand the term "shmup". Probably not the best place for such revelation, but here it is :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 2:53 pm 

Like dreadnought, I suck pretty hard at most shmups, but yearn to get better! They always look so amazing when others play then when watching on Youtube and the like, plus I'd love to expand my collection of games to include even more, and get better with time.

I also have come across this forum multiple times in regards to the Hardware side of things, as getting the best picture quality from my retro consoles is very important. This makes playing these types of games possible, as emulation introduces its own lag, which is a huge no-no for these types of games.

This seems like a great community, and i'm glad to be here.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 1:51 am 

Hello~

I'm living in Korea and first got into shoot 'em ups with Gemini Wing and UN Squadron. Big fighting game fan too, with Guilty Gear being the current fav. Joined this forum as I've recently started playing again, and am a fan of reading up on the history of the genre. Right now, I'm trying to 1-ALL Under Defeat and Raiden IV, while also playing Gradius V for fun.

Recently learned how to use my Macbook for emulation, and discovered a trove of games. Unfortunately Saturn emulation still eludes me..

Anyway nice to meet y'all, and I look forward to learning from everyone.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:25 pm 

Greetings everyone,

To make things short, I have been playing shumps for a long time, and been collecting Japanese imported games since 2007, and my collection is growing from shmups to different kinds of other games. I look forward to talking and getting to know you people.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:11 pm 

Greetings from Raleigh, NC

First taste for a shmup is thunder spirits on the SNES and I was complete garbage at it. Now older still not any good, but still like to play them occasionally. Got into arcade games since the family bought a pizzeria and was able to convince them to let me put some in. Most of them are fighting games; but I did like playing Progear on the CPS2. I would like to get better at it even though my skill are laughable at best.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:23 pm 

Long time listener, first time caller. Just wanted to say hello. Have been playing lots of shmups on the Genesis, Saturn, and Dreamcast over the last 6 months. I'm hoping to start competing at a level where I can get my high scores on the boards here.

This seems like a nice fun corner of the internet. I think I could hang out here once in a while.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:37 pm 

Welcome kids.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:54 am 

Hello,

I've been around for a short while and wanted to introduce myself (I don't really use forums, but I can only get so far just watching videos on YouTube).
I've known about shmups for a while, but Touhou is what really got me into these games.
Anyway, bullet hell games are particularly interesting to me and I'm wanting to see how far I can go with them. The experience has been great so far.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:25 pm 

Zero238 wrote:
Greetings from Raleigh, NC

First taste for a shmup is thunder spirits on the SNES and I was complete garbage at it. Now older still not any good, but still like to play them occasionally. Got into arcade games since the family bought a pizzeria and was able to convince them to let me put some in. Most of them are fighting games; but I did like playing Progear on the CPS2. I would like to get better at it even though my skill are laughable at best.

Playing Progear No Arashi on a real Capcom CPS2 setup is ace.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45