shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:51 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Touhou project games
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:44 pm 

Is it just me or why cant you edit the movement controls in any of their games? I mean the up, down etc is shown in the keyconfig menu. Why are they there if you cant edit them? just for show?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Touhou project games
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:06 pm 

tsullivanm wrote:
Is it just me or why cant you edit the movement controls in any of their games? I mean the up, down etc is shown in the keyconfig menu. Why are they there if you cant edit them? just for show?

Because most Touhou games assume you have a game-pad or arcade stick. Even then they are often mapped to the buttons you don't want them to be.
If you want to remap the directional controls try xpadder.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:15 pm 

Yep, that's right. They're RETAIL games that don't allow you reconfigure your keyboard controls. Hellsinker does it too. It's amazingly short-sighted, but I guess in Japan PCs are seen as a sort of luxury platform and if you're playing games on one it's almost assumed that you've bought a controller for it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:38 pm 

MathU wrote:
Yep, that's right. They're RETAIL games that don't allow you reconfigure your keyboard controls. Hellsinker does it too. It's amazingly short-sighted, but I guess in Japan PCs are seen as a sort of luxury platform and if you're playing games on one it's almost assumed that you've bought a controller for it.

It's pretty customary to have a stick of some kind. All my Japanese friends who play WoW have an arcade stick and wireless 360 controllers in some form or another for their PC's.

If they don't they're running MMOs on a MAC.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:01 pm 

Yeah sure I see where youre going. The thing is i have both an 360 controller and an arcadestick. The 360 contreoller works fine sure but I want to use my stick, which doesnt work. The buttons work fine but not the actual stick for movement. Its because the movement stick is, in Windows registered not as the d-pad of a controller but as one of the "little" sticks on say my 360 controller.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:42 pm 

As I've said in your other thread, either use the unofficial XBCD drivers, or get Xpadder and remap your stick to regular keyboard arrows. Touhou and other games will simply not recognize your stick otherwise.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:20 pm 

Aliquantic wrote:
As I've said in your other thread, either use the unofficial XBCD drivers, or get Xpadder and remap your stick to regular keyboard arrows. Touhou and other games will simply not recognize your stick otherwise.

Yeah I know, thanks alot for that. I felt the need for this thread too just to clarify the stupidity with having controller settings that are not configurable in the options menu.
But none the less, xpadder solved my problem. Thanks a bunch!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:18 am 

XPadder doesn't necessarily solve my problems, so I have to use XBCD. I hate this "D-pad = POV hat" garbage.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:04 am 

gs68 wrote:
XPadder doesn't necessarily solve my problems, so I have to use XBCD. I hate this "D-pad = POV hat" garbage.

I've recently been frustrated with this as well. I'm using a Street Fighter IV Tournament Edition stick and I couldn't get MAME to recognize the stick as anything but a Hat Switch. Someone in the hardware section notified me that this isn't an issue in MAME so I realized I was making a big fuss over nothing.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:14 am 

rancid3000 wrote:
gs68 wrote:

I've recently been frustrated with this as well. I'm using a Street Fighter IV Tournament Edition stick and I couldn't get MAME to recognize the stick as anything but a Hat Switch. Someone in the hardware section notified me that this isn't an issue in MAME so I realized I was making a big fuss over nothing.

I use XBCD and MAME shows me using the analog sticks as "Joy 1 Up" etc, with the D-Pad being the POV_HAT commands. If you have issues like that than you haven't installed it properly. Same thing with the triggers too.
Projects: G.M.O.S.S.E / Warbird A13:02 / Zenodyne (by Kaiser) / XII STAG Hi-Score Thread

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:58 am 

I've been haunting these forums for a little bit, and I've noticed sometimes Touhou gets alot of criticism. Why is that?

Anyone recommend a game from the series as a start? been kinda curious to try it out

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:31 am 

I have XBCD set up such that D-pad inputs register as joystick inputs.

And as per the layout on my FSTE, X is button 1, Y is button 2, RB is button 3, etc. The less futzing I have to do, especially with games that give you no choice besides "button 1 is fire, button 2 is bomb, etc.", the better.

(Also it coincides nicely with how buttons are numbered when I use a Saturn pad on a Saturn->USB converter, particularly with Start being numbered 9 on both that and a 360 controller.)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:54 am 

I've been haunting these forums for a little bit, and I've noticed sometimes Touhou gets alot of criticism. Why is that?

Anyone recommend a game from the series as a start? been kinda curious to try it out

It's popular among a lot of people who don't even play the games.
The people who do play the games are often crazy fans who go on videos of random Psikyo/Raizing games and proclaim that they're not as hard as Touhou because there aren't as many bullets.
The bullet patterns in the games are boring. They're very slow and either completely memorizable or aimed exactly at the player's hitbox (which means that you just tap to avoid). However, the bullets are multicolored and move in pretty ways, which makes them look much scarier than they actually are. This has deluded a lot of people into thinking that Touhou are the hardest STGs (or even hardest games, period).
They're really freaking popular. Due to the mediocre quality of Touhou games (slow bullets, pretty colors, etc.), it makes fans of other STGs rage when they bring up bullet hell in a conversation and the person they're taking to says "Oh, those tow-how games?"

That said, UFO has a really interesting, unique scoring mechanic, and Subterranean Animism has a cool extra stage and pretty nice difficulty level.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:56 am 

My PS3 controller on my MAC comes in as everything is a button except the two sticks and L2/R2 which are all on an axis. This is in MAME by the way.. I use the d-pad and it works nicely, triggers for car racing games that have throttle control.

I know some people have issues with their PS3 controllers not working properly, diagonal inputs not registering etc.

Touhou - No comment.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:43 am 

Demetori wrote:
My PS3 controller on my MAC comes in as everything is a button except the two sticks and L2/R2 which are all on an axis. This is in MAME by the way.. I use the d-pad and it works nicely, triggers for car racing games that have throttle control.

I know some people have issues with their PS3 controllers not working properly, diagonal inputs not registering etc.

Touhou - No comment.

I couldn't get my cousin's PS3 controller to work on Windows (iMac with Bootcamp setup) for the life of me. Do you use something like a bluetooth connection or wired?
Also, is it a third-party controller? My cousin's one was one of the original Sixaxis models.
Projects: G.M.O.S.S.E / Warbird A13:02 / Zenodyne (by Kaiser) / XII STAG Hi-Score Thread

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:51 am 

BPzeBanshee wrote:
Demetori wrote:

Touhou - No comment.

I couldn't get my cousin's PS3 controller to work on Windows (iMac with Bootcamp setup) for the life of me. Do you use something like a bluetooth connection or wired?
Also, is it a third-party controller? My cousin's one was one of the original Sixaxis models.

I've used both the original Sixaxis and new DualShock 3 controllers, both work.

I've not tried to connect it via boot-camp yet. But it natively runs in Snow Leopard now. Just install Controller Mate, the trial version works fine. Connect it to your MAC and make sure it's detected unplug it and hit the PS button and it should show that it's connected via the Bluetooth.

As for the Windows part, you would need some custom drivers for it to parse information with the onboard Bluetooth device I assume. I'm not sure what kind iMAC's use, and that also depends on your make or model. You /should/ be able to get it to work that way.

TBH - Most stuff works really well in Wine nowadays, if not it's got a MAC fork.
MAME works ace on my MacBook Pro, one of the older ones. And most Windows shmups work with no effort in Wine.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:36 pm 

RNGmaster wrote:

It's popular among a lot of people who don't even play the games.
The people who do play the games are often crazy fans who go on videos of random Psikyo/Raizing games and proclaim that they're not as hard as Touhou because there aren't as many bullets.

It's those that don't play the games but have seen them that say this (I think). Most players tend to actualy play other shmups, and likely know that more bullets doesn't make things harder.

The main critisim is more the fandom being so large and vocal so that people have heard of touhou (project) but not the games themselves.

As regards to series popularity, having low starting dificulty (and pleanty of resources) does make them more accesable. Playing on harder dificulty can alleviate some problems with paterns being too easy. Some latter ones are actualy hard (getting through the first 3/4 levels before you see anything chalenging is somewhat annoying), but pleanty are memorisable and one of the games (Imperishable Night) is almost entirely streaming.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:36 pm 

Arcade sticks based on 360 padhacks or just 360 control variants in general will not work for Touhou games.

It IS because of the dpad vs. stick situation.

I use a PS3 stick or one of my customs built with a Cthulhu board.

The Cthulhu maps UDLR movement to both the analog sticks AND the d-pad (or hat switch if you will)
"This is not similation. Get ready to destoroy the enemy. Target for the weak points of f**kin' machine. Do your best you have ever done."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:36 pm 

I don't see any reason to hate on the Touhou games. Maybe the hard core fans are retarded, but I enjoy EOSD and PCB alot. They're fun to play and the music is good.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:40 pm 

they're not really hardcore at all, they seem to hate the games if they even know they exist

the real fans are part of the shmup community in general and play other games like doj and ketsui

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:47 pm 

Despatche wrote:
they're not really hardcore at all, they seem to hate the games if they even know they exist

the real fans are part of the shmup community in general and play other games like doj and ketsui

Yeah I guess they're really into the story lines and manga (? I guess that's what it's called? Comic books and such is one thing I never go into...) I guess they probably
collect figurines (Dolls) too. haha what a stupid thing to be into.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:07 am 

huh, just because someone likes something you're not into, that makes it stupid?

i'm a shmup player, manga reader and figurine collector and touhou has all those three things that i like...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:19 am 

The only good Touhou games are the PC98 ones! I guess Seihou is also ok.

I think there are two groups of "Touhou fans", those who are mainly interested in the games and those who are mainly interested in the culture. Hell, I think even ZUN disapproves the obsessive fans who don't play the games, mentioned somewhere that he feels like Touhou has strayed too far from its roots, but who knows. I guess it's admirable that he still wants to keep the games "underground" and doesn't want to profit from licensing, could be a very rich man otherwise!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:34 am 

lmagus wrote:
huh, just because someone likes something you're not into, that makes it stupid?

i'm a shmup player, manga reader and figurine collector and touhou has all those three things that i like...

No. I do not mean to say that anything that I personally don't appreciate is stupid. I didn't mean that manga is stupid, it's just something I ever got into. And obviously I love shmups, so we basically agree on 2 out of 3. However I do think that for a dude to drool over his expensive collection of half naked jap figurines is questionable. It seems a little sad, and I can see it causing some trouble for finding a REAL girl...As she would probably be jealous for her boyfriend to have such a nice doll collection. But I digress. I didn't want to personally offend anyone on here.

Don't take it too seriously.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:24 am 

Demetori wrote:
I've used both the original Sixaxis and new DualShock 3 controllers, both work.

I've not tried to connect it via boot-camp yet. But it natively runs in Snow Leopard now. Just install Controller Mate, the trial version works fine. Connect it to your MAC and make sure it's detected unplug it and hit the PS button and it should show that it's connected via the Bluetooth.

As for the Windows part, you would need some custom drivers for it to parse information with the onboard Bluetooth device I assume. I'm not sure what kind iMAC's use, and that also depends on your make or model. You /should/ be able to get it to work that way.

TBH - Most stuff works really well in Wine nowadays, if not it's got a MAC fork.
MAME works ace on my MacBook Pro, one of the older ones. And most Windows shmups work with no effort in Wine.

If the PS3 controller worked via Bluetooth connection to Mac OS without issues than it certainly should be possible in Windows. I was trying to do it before with it connected via USB for stuff like MAME. :lol:
As for MAME in Mac OS, I tried that but couldnt find a single damn version that worked. And UberMAME wouldnt read its own ROMs folder. So I run MAME games in Windows no worries since Bootcamp works for me (its actually the main OS I use on it).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:33 am 

burgerkingdiamond wrote:
lmagus wrote:

No. I do not mean to say that anything that I personally don't appreciate is stupid. I didn't mean that manga is stupid, it's just something I ever got into. And obviously I love shmups, so we basically agree on 2 out of 3. However I do think that for a dude to drool over his expensive collection of half naked jap figurines is questionable. It seems a little sad, and I can see it causing some trouble for finding a REAL girl...As she would probably be jealous for her boyfriend to have such a nice doll collection. But I digress. I didn't want to personally offend anyone on here.

Don't take it too seriously.

No, I didn't take it seriously.

Actually you have a point about the figurine collection and girlfriend part, but my wife likes the figures even more than I do, so it's all good at home =P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:13 pm 

The games may be "popular" by doujin standards, but they are not popular by any other standards at all as far as I can tell. First time I stumbled upon the name Touhou would be when I was doing research on shmups and the bullet hell subgenre in particular. Moreover, I keep watching YouTube shmups vids and I have NEVER seen anybody dissing ANY coin-op game (any game at all in fact) based on them looking less difficult than Touhou. Those "Touhou fans" beings allegedly doing so are the Black Volga of shmups in my book.
Granted, I don't read comments on every YouTube vid I watch as reading comments on YouTube is one of the saddest things internet has to offer.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:17 pm 

I approve of the figurine collecting and whatnot, but the games are so GODDAMN SLOW

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:52 pm 

Obiwanshinobi wrote:
Moreover, I keep watching YouTube shmups vids and I have NEVER seen anybody dissing ANY coin-op game (any game at all in fact) based on them looking less difficult than Touhou.

http://www.youtube.com/comment_servlet? ... QZuidKexBQ
ctrl+f Touhou and see what you can see, why doncha?

I guess the video name was kinda asking for it, though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:52 pm 

Ive noticed many touhou fans constantly compare other shootem ups on how easy they are compared to touhou.

The most notable one I read was someone saying Mushimi Futari ultra Larsa is not that difficult compared to touhou. He was stating that the bullets are slow and not randomized. Stating that you just need to memorize where to be and move to. Like some sort of maze.

I can tell right off the bat that he never played Mushimi-futari :roll:

Would be awesome if cave could work with the creators of touhou to make a game. Although I don't really like touhou's game play, I do think some of the characters are awesome and would like to see a touhou theme Cave style game.

Offline Profile