shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:49 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next
 Post subject: Re: Guwange 360
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:53 pm 

Goo-wan-gey is how I've pronounced it. I used to pronounce it juh-wan-jee like as in Jumanji though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:37 am 

Sorry to sound like a broken record but I've spotted something I found rather interesting in Google Translate regarding the pronounciation of Guwange.

All this time I've been putting in the Japanese letters for it into Google Translate, translating it to English and pressing the Listen button. This gives the "Goo-wung" pronounciation.
http://translate.google.com/#auto|en|%E ... 1%92%0A%0A

On the other hand, put the English lettering for Guwange into Google Translate and translate it to Japanese, and you get the Japanese letters with a different pronounciation, which is how Cave World said it was by bcass' Twitter post, which gives the "Goo-wun-gay" pronounciation.
http://translate.google.com/#en|ja|Guwange%0A

I notice the voice says it rather fast so it seems there's not much stressing on either letters, so just say it fast like that and you're getting it right without sounding homo. :P
Projects: G.M.O.S.S.E / Warbird A13:02 / Zenohell / XII STAG Hi-Score Thread

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:39 am 

Trusting Google Translate for anything is not a great idea, IMO.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:26 am 

True, but it's still better than Babelfish, IMO.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:51 pm 

Eh, you're overcomplicating things. Unlike English, Japanese has very rigid phonetics (think Latin), so syllables are always pronounced the same way (barring some slight nuances). Take some word with any of these syllables and listen to it. "Gu" in "guwange" and "gu" in "guro" are the same syllable. Same with "wan" as in "wanko" and "ge" as in "gensuke".

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:16 am 

Just downloaded this , Looks ok om my CRT but has a horrible wavey effect when scrolling , Anyway i can get rid of this ?

Thanks

Check out my YouTube Channel
YouTube

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:21 am 

Trevor spencer wrote:
Just downloaded this , Looks ok om my CRT but has a horrible wavey effect when scrolling , Anyway i can get rid of this ?

Thanks

Are you playing it in TATE? And/or are you using the filter?
I noticed a weird wave-scrolling background till I used the filter which IMO looks better with it on. Those are pretty much the only real settings that I think would make a difference.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:07 am 

BPzeBanshee wrote:
Trevor spencer wrote:

Thanks

Are you playing it in TATE? And/or are you using the filter?
I noticed a weird wave-scrolling background till I used the filter which IMO looks better with it on. Those are pretty much the only real settings that I think would make a difference.

Hi

Yeah im playing TATE , Also i have the filter off

Ok ill give the filter ago , Thanks

Check out my YouTube Channel
YouTube

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:13 am 

Does anyone know why the following settings are greyed out and can't be adjusted?
They are found in the game window, extra settings menu that handles zoom and rotation.

Draw area position X
Draw area position Y
Draw area size X
Draw area size Y

I'm trying to get the aspect ratio correct on my monitor.

I should mention I have the 360 set to 1920x1080 and it is connected to my 16:10 monitor via the official VGA cable.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:12 pm 

Oops :oops:

Last edited by Aliquantic on Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:17 pm 

Actually, the options you've mentioned only apply to the outer windows that you can switch on and off, because they draw a *part* of the game screen as opposed to the *entire* game screen with the Game Window does, that's why they're blacked out.

If memory serves I think you'll find in those additional windows the options you've mentioned are not greyed out and they determine the size of the zoomed box. The Game Window has its own zoom and rotation settings.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:27 pm 

I'm playing Guwange XBLA Arcade mode atm and am curious as to what to set my shot & shikigami power for each individual stage in training mode? I guess I could count myself but the game seems to throw out a shitload of red shot power ups and I wonder If I lose more shot power when I lose a life than the 2 or 3 red items that fly out of your character.

Trevor spencer wrote:

Thanks

A little late for the original poster but it's worth a mention that increasing the screen size by 202% as opposed to 200% or whole multiples causes screen tearing.

Last edited by TrevHead (TVR) on Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:36 pm 

Banned User

I don't think it matters too much. You should definitely start at max power from Stage 3 on, since that's where you'll be if you don't die up to that point.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:24 am 

Galactik wrote:
I think I missed something somewhere, but where is Guwange available for 360? I am in Canada.

you can find it on in the arcade section on the Xbox live market place

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:20 am 

Had a play of this today after emptying cache and found I had to redownload the update for it. I thought XBLA patches were just that, patches in program folder. Guess not.

I also found that the loop points for several music pieces are set incorrectly. I heard from Shmups Facebook that there was a few sound issues with it, and got a few examples recorded. Anyone else notice weird sound oddities?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:42 am 

Banned User

I've noticed that the bosses of stages 2 and 4 have unusually loud sound effects, which is painful when using headphones. Haven't noticed problems with audio looping, though I had the game crash in the middle of a run once, forcing a manual shutdown. (This was without the patch.)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:12 am 

I bought it, played it a little, played with fixing the screen tearing etc...then bought the pcb.
Not the best port IMO.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:18 pm 

Interesting. Never noticed such things but I did hear that the Catspider boss doesn't always do its yeoooooooows when it's supposed to. Anyway, I uploaded what I found noticeable sound issues for here: http://www.mediafire.com/?cs561miha7c1mle

First boss music may not seem too noticeable but I'm fairly sure neither MAME or the soundtrack collections for it stuttered like that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:44 pm 

Banned User

I know the Blue Arrange rom has been dumped; have people found success in converting PCBs of the game to Blue?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:03 pm 

Pretas wrote:
I know the Blue Arrange rom has been dumped; have people found success in converting PCBs of the game to Blue?

Works fine. Just a matter of burning a couple chips and swapping them out. To go back to normal version, just swap back in the original chips.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:33 pm 

I heard using the blue arrange too much makes the game turn into a wolf, though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:53 am 

Pretas wrote:
I don't think it matters too much. You should definitely start at max power from Stage 3 on, since that's where you'll be if you don't die up to that point.

You're correct, and your shikigami pwr matters little aswell since the 3rd and last pwr up is collected early on in stage 2.

I honestly haven't noticed any inconsistencies with the XBLA version but then I've hardly played the MAME version / haven't seen the PCB. What is bloody annoying though is that you have to press a to quit back out of the start menu which drops a bomb for me. Wasting a bomb to the pause menu is problem with CAVE's 360 ports like AKS but atleast they allow you to press start button aswell as A.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:10 pm 

Had this sitting on console for ages, but finally got round to playing it the other night. My God, it's amazing, so fluid and fast scrolling with wonderful artistic detail. I haven't even flipped the screen yet!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:41 pm 

zomg 360 mode is a fucking orgy of coins, too bad you can't play with a joystick though. Popped those high-count coin acheivements pretty quickly.

I just 1cc'd it on my first credit though is it too easy or is it just me? I have played the arcade version a lot, so being able to do the whole right-stick thing with the shikigami is very liberating lol. Sucks balls when you're at 24,000 coins and you lose a life bar though ...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:33 am 

The mode is pretty damn easy for survival purposes, yeah.

High positions on the leaderboards have something ridiculous for points last I checked though. :shock:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:04 pm 

The game's now available on XB1 via backwards compatibility.

*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:23 am 

Freaking fantastic!! They've been very good about putting out niche titles, but not a lot of them have been shmups. Wasn't holding out particular hope for this one. I'll be glad to play it again, plus I'm now optimistic some of the others are on the way!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:07 am 

Thanks for the good news Oniros :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:07 pm 

Slowly but surely getting some fun stuff to play on my Xb1. Ikaruga , Trigger Heart , and now this.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:53 pm 

Yeah, those are three good ones. Hoping they're working behind the scenes on RFA, Deathsmiles, Akai, etc.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next