shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:29 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1206 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 41  Next
 Post subject: Guwange 360
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:24 am 

Im a newbie here so sorry if these have been asked before. I have looked through the posts.

I have a new japanese account on a pal 360.

If I get a points card will I be able to download this.

Also is it still the case that you cant download games on demand from different regions. eg raiden 4.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Guwange 360
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:48 am 

You won't need a Japanese account on your PAL machine to get it, it'll be region free so it should be available everywhere. You can't however get Raiden IV, as it's regionally locked and you machine won't be able to run it. In the hardware section of this forum is a very handy thread about XBox 360.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 12:31 pm 

Thanks for that so raiden fighter aces is out the window till august as well then.

Thought guwange was limited to japan only but great. Not my favourite of the cave shooters. Hopefully it can be followed up by dodonpachi.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 4:42 pm 

I sense the upcoming shitstorm of opinions that Guwange isn't quite as great as the fanboys make it up to be. If the "mainstream journalists" dare to rate it high, it's gonna be another Ikaruga.
Personally I think it's rather good, pretty and "atmospheric". Moreover, oh boy, the scoring system seems to be... intuitive?! Because I like the money, and there is a way to make the enemies bleed more money...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 6:01 pm 

Obiwanshinobi wrote:
I sense the upcoming shitstorm of opinions that Guwange isn't quite as great as the fanboys make it up to be.

I wouldn't be too worried - unlike, say, Ketsui, this one's been emulated for awhile, so a good deal more people (at least those into the genre) have had a chance to play and judge for themselves. As for how anyone outside the shmupping community might react to it...that's another ball of wax altogether.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:47 am 

Obiwanshinobi wrote:
I sense the upcoming shitstorm of opinions that Guwange isn't quite as great as the fanboys make it up to be. If the "mainstream journalists" dare to rate it high, it's gonna be another Ikaruga.
Personally I think it's rather good, pretty and "atmospheric". Moreover, oh boy, the scoring system seems to be... intuitive?! Because I like the money, and there is a way to make the enemies bleed more money...

I wanted to like Guwange, because it is pretty and atmospheric like you said, and even interesting mechanically, but c'mon man, the scoring system is game-long chaining. I think that's pretty valid, fanboys or haters or mainstream media be damned.

http://speeddemosarchive.com/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:45 am 

Okay, maybe I don't really get the scoring in Guwange, but I enjoy the, um, looting (gold farming?) aspect. This and the controls clicked with me immediately, whereas I still can't get the hang of Progear, er, jewelling. I don't even mind Guwange not looking like a shooter, because Cave shooters don't feel like shooters anyway (if you ask me), therfore Guwange's unique appearance makes kind of sense. If I had to find one word to describe Guwange, "graceful" would be the word. Twatting bosses' body parts with a squid on a chain in the midst of cherry blossoms fall, whoa. I can't get enough of this funfair feel of the lot (forget about Harmful Park). It's like they are having a massive party in this game (rather than the usual "The Earth is dying. The humanity is on the verge of extinction. Keep chaining. Collect stars. Don't ask." fare).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:45 am 

Squid? In Guwange? :shock:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:49 am 

The girl's (Kosame) shikigami or whatever looks like a squid.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:55 am 

It's a nine-tailed fox.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 12:07 pm 

Obiwanshinobi wrote:
If I had to find one word to describe Guwange, "graceful" would be the word. Twatting bosses' body parts with a squid on a chain in the midst of cherry blossoms fall, whoa. I can't get enough of this funfair feel of the lot (forget about Harmful Park). It's like they are having a massive party in this game (rather than the usual "The Earth is dying. The humanity is on the verge of extinction. Keep chaining. Collect stars. Don't ask." fare).

Hahaha, this totally made my day. :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 3:36 pm 

I think I missed something somewhere, but where is Guwange available for 360? I am in Canada.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 3:43 pm 

I can't recall and can't really research where I heard it right now, but it's not out yet, but it will be. It should be available worldwide when it is released.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 3:45 pm 

it's not out yet. they're working on it at the moment.

edit: starcreator beat me

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 3:47 pm 

Sounds great, cant wait to try it out on 360.

Thank you for the info.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 3:57 pm 

StarCreator wrote:
I can't recall and can't really research where I heard it right now, but it's not out yet, but it will be. It should be available worldwide when it is released.

The game is pretty much done (well, games, actually, considering it's Guwange, Guwange Blue Label and Guwange Arrange all in one "package"). I believe Asada said that they were currently wading through all of the near-endless MS bureaucracy to get the game approved for all regions on XBLA. Even then, who knows when it'll actually get released given how arcane MS's Live Arcade release scheduling happens to be.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 4:10 pm 

CIT wrote:
It's a nine-tailed fox.

Is that why it has "8" in it's name?
-ud

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 4:31 pm 

Might be an eight-tail fox then. Kitsunes' rank among their kin is determined by the amount of tails, up to nine.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:08 pm 

Has any heard if some kind of X/1.1 mode will be included, where the dual analogues will be used in the same way that Deathsmiles V1.1 features? Even though I mainly use a stick, I would be all for a dual stick version of Guwange, it would hurt my brain a bit less I think.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:17 pm 

Yes, the Arrange mode is exactly that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:20 pm 

anybody who complains about the chaining in this game isnt playing it right....or havent played it enough to 'get it'

this isnt split second timing to chain like ddp or doj....you have lots of time and if you are controlling things properly keeping your chain going isnt that hard....once you understand how to properly control your shikigami and your character to score effectively, this game changes quite a bit.....the chaining in this game is actually fun, or atthe very least not nearly as 'pulling your hair out and screaming' frustrating as doj

i think guwange is one of the most overlooked and under-appreciated games in caves catalog....

it also has one of the most original/different scoring/gameplay system out of any of caves games imo

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:42 pm 

Yeah, I just wish they'd go ahead and get it on XBLA already.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:19 pm 

I hope they just have some decent filters, like the ones in RFA and Ketsui. Hell, or even the one in DOJ. I just have flashbacks to Mushi on the PS2.....argh...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:27 pm 

evil_ash_xero wrote:
I hope they just have some decent filters, like the ones in RFA and Ketsui. Hell, or even the one in DOJ. I just have flashbacks to Mushi on the PS2.....argh...

i just hope its received well outside of the japanese markets.....it wouldnt be very encouraging for future DLC titles if the pilot project flopped in international markets

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:38 pm 

jonny5 wrote:
anybody who complains about the chaining in this game isnt playing it right....or havent played it enough to 'get it'

this isnt split second timing to chain like ddp or doj....you have lots of time and if you are controlling things properly keeping your chain going isnt that hard....once you understand how to properly control your shikigami and your character to score effectively, this game changes quite a bit.....the chaining in this game is actually fun, or atthe very least not nearly as 'pulling your hair out and screaming' frustrating as doj

This. It might seem unapproachable when you're first getting into it, but once you learn the stages and how the Shikigami works, it's one of the easiest chaining systems Cave has come up with. Although the scoring does still have some legitimately terrible flaws, like uh, Catspider milking. :x

Whatever the case, if there's one older Cave game really deserved a re-release, it's this one. They needed to fix the Counterstop problem. >_>

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:11 pm 

I'm a huge walk-em-up fan (outzone, elemental master, etc) so this has long been on my "when I get some cash for pcb's" list. Can't wait to finally get a real version of this to play outside of emulation. Somehow I missed the announcement, so this is a nice random mid-day surprise to read about.

I just hope that the Arrange mode has some option for joystick-friendly play. I never got into Deathsmile's 1.1 mode because it forced me to use the terrible 360 controller.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:20 pm 

azinth wrote:
Catspider milking

"Tell me how you milk a cat, Greg."
-ud

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:51 pm 

how's Guwange lag in mame? (in general, I understand some versions are better than others)

that might make this port worthwhile.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:13 pm 

antron wrote:
how's Guwange lag in mame? (in general, I understand some versions are better than others)

that might make this port worthwhile.

From what i've heard, everything except lagless shmupmame makes the game play a lot worse.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:36 pm 

undamned wrote:
azinth wrote:
Catspider milking

"Tell me how you milk a cat, Greg."
-ud

How indeed...

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1206 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 41  Next