shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:49 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8387 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 276, 277, 278, 279, 280
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:49 pm 

Well, while I too also take a liking to Caladrius (Blaze), the risk and reward of having to use the E. Shots to raise your score is very intuitive, though yeah, the standard shot button barely gets any use, unless you have no other choice if your E. gauges are depleted or have your multiplier maxed out, lol.

Also Sumez, if it bothers you so, you can turn off the Shame Breaks in the game options, lol.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:07 pm 

NeoStrayCat wrote:
though yeah, the standard shot button barely gets any use,

Normally this would bother me a lot, but the fact that it automatically fires on at least one of your E-Shots really nicely works around that issue for me. It forces you to still make use of your main shot, but cleverly and with a lot of finesse in order to keep building that multiplier.

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:39 pm 

Thunder cross. Remembered that it's stage 5 that used to hack me off in the arcade as a kid. Great game,quite forgiving for a Konami shooter up until there.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:49 am 

Started playing R-Type I (in Dimensions ps3) for the first time last night. It's much more methodical than I imagined, with very short stages, but still fun. Great art, and I like the sound effects but the title screen music is painful.

Made it to the stage 3 boss and looking forward to progressing.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:56 pm 

Playing Super Real Darwin in Mame (with the MCU fix below applied).

Apparently, the MCU has now been dumped correctly for the World version only:

https://mamedev.emulab.it/haze/2017/07/ ... win-award/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:50 pm 

1cc'd Caladrius Blaze with Noah. Cheesed the last 3 bosses pretty crazy. Definitely gonna return to it for a better score, and also for the other player characters.

There are some very cool late game patterns (and a few very annoying/silly ones) that I'd like to work my way past in a non cheesy run. Some of the stuff involving lava waves, meteors, puppet strings, etc. reminds me of the more gimmicky Armed Police Batrider boss attacks. Rad game.

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:05 pm 

Just picked up (and finished) Crisis Force for the Famicom.
God damn this game is awesome. By far one of the most competent shooters I've seen for an 8-bit home console. The difficulty is definitely geared for the home market as well, and it was a bit of a breeze, especially the leeway you have of being able to take an extra hit as long as your weapons are even slightly upgraded. But it's immensely creative, just keeps on giving with the absurd abundance of boss fights towards the end. It's a ton of fun, and the hitboxes are likely the most fair I've seen in any NES/FC shmup.

Hopefully the game's Hard mode will be able to give it some more replayability, because as far as I can tell scoring is cosmetic at best.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:53 pm 

^Nice! Yeah I really enjoy Crisis Force but I don't find much incentive to go back to it. IIRC (it's been a while since I played it) there wasn't even a score display, you could only see your score in between the stages which sucks... Still a really fun game though, especially on Hard. The sprite flickering during 2-player mode is pretty insane though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:01 pm 

Always wondered if there were any good NES shmup.
I've only tried Thunderbirds, wich wasnt very interesting to me.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:27 pm 

Gun-Nac, Zanac, and Recca are usually the go-to choices for shooties on the NES. Also Abadox, Final Mission, and the underdog, Sqoon. Probably forgot some, but those are the major ones at the top of my head.
Gradius 2 is a surprisingly good port, too.

edit: Damn, how could I forget Battle Formula/Super Spy Hunter

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:53 am 

Visited the arcade at the weekend, and it had Strikers 1945 II. Only played 2 credits and really enjoyed it (despite the wobbly stick and having to mash fire). Been researching how I can play it at home, but from what I've read, none of the home versions are ideal. Luckily, I've seen the game in many arcades here.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:08 am 

I'm switching between Deathsmiles and DoDonPachi Ressurrection, and I'm looking forward to play Gundeadligne again, but I'm rusty.
I Suck (at shooters)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:14 am 

MrSancini wrote:
I'm switching between Deathsmiles and DoDonPachi Ressurrection, and I'm looking forward to play Gundeadligne again, but I'm rusty.

I believe if you play only one thing for a while you will get much better results. Its usually like that

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:02 am 

finishing pulstar yesterday, the visual is amazing, not surprised though its in neo geo, so far the games is neat, enemy pattern can be memorized, boss can be beaten by mashing fire, next play is blazing star :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:14 am 

Sumez wrote:
Just picked up (and finished) Crisis Force for the Famicom.
God damn this game is awesome. By far one of the most competent shooters I've seen for an 8-bit home console. The difficulty is definitely geared for the home market as well, and it was a bit of a breeze, especially the leeway you have of being able to take an extra hit as long as your weapons are even slightly upgraded. But it's immensely creative, just keeps on giving with the absurd abundance of boss fights towards the end. It's a ton of fun, and the hitboxes are likely the most fair I've seen in any NES/FC shmup.

Hopefully the game's Hard mode will be able to give it some more replayability, because as far as I can tell scoring is cosmetic at best.

this games is great and absolutely unique, you can morph to super alien ish by collecting red orb, but the times is limited, and can be running low faster if you get hit by enemy, i like the third morph, wide shot targeting enemy in your front/side, cool! and nice soundtrack too, i remember playing it with my brother 18 years ago

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:35 am 

Battle Garegga Rev 2016 - Great visuals and bosses, with a quality array of ships to choose from. I was enjoying playing it until I tried to play it properly by keeping rank down :lol: I feel this game would drive me crazy if I tried to get good at it. It's truly one for expert players.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:40 pm 

After spending time with Pulstar and Last Resort, I've decided to return to R-Type 2. Initially on R-Type Dimensions... then I remembered how awkward these reverse-engineered ROMs are and switched to playing it on R-Types. The one thing that immediately jumps out at me is how tightly packed the level-design is in comparison to its bastard cousin on the Super NES/FC. Everything is so close knit in stages 1 and 4 (the two ripped directly in Super R-Type as stages 2 and 5 respectively). Stage 3 is fairly wide open but ends with that obnoxious screen-filling boss. The stage 4 boss actually comes off a tad easier than its stage 5 counterpart in Super.

And then there's stage 5... what an absolute damn mess of a level. I'm going to be struggling with this one for a while.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8387 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 276, 277, 278, 279, 280