shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:00 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Jet Buster (Steam Greenlight)
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:54 am 

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =882236293
^ GREENLIGHT link

That's right, we are back, after being MIA for months, back to make a shmup.
It's a different kind of a shmup compared to our previous games but shmups aren't always just about the spaceships you know? We wanted to make something new.

Anyway you will find videos and screenshots there, this is fairly early in development BUT with the upcoming changes to the Steam (Greenlight will be no more in next 3 months), we made a decision to take what we have and show it.

Here's the feature list (pasted from Greenlight):

* A colorful varied cast of characters.
* Normal difficulty suited towards new players, Expert exists for those
who want an extra challenge.
* 6 stages each with it's own distinct setting and enemies.
* Multiform bosses that don't just pack a punch, also a personality.
* A rocking positive YM2151 Soundtrack made by HeavyViper!
* Wallpapers! (Still in works, support is in!)
* Not just TATE but also aspect ratio support!
- Note: We currently support 4:3, 16:9, 16:10 and 3:4 (NATIVE)

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Jet Buster (Steam Greenlight)
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:44 pm 

Love the classic tunes. The character designs are great. Please make the coins more shiny!!!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:51 pm 

Special World wrote:
Love the classic tunes. The character designs are great. Please make the coins more shiny!!!

Thanks for liking my characters! They were actually polished up by Rozyrg, though, so some credit goes to him for that. Hope you look forward to our game!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:56 pm 

It's kind of crazy when you look at the greenlight comments.. even though it's clearly stated in the text that wallpapers are coming, people complain about no wallpaper being there. Others even don't get verts at all and assume it's a mobile port, because of the aspect ratio. I sometimes feel like in a parallel universe, where everyone is retarded :lol:

Anyway: Voted yes, of course, I like the signature style and hope for a hard as nails challenge.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:29 am 

Gave it a vote! Looking forward to robo-cats n such :3

A small request, though: do you think you could have an option to disable the graphical effect on the pick-ups? Always found that subtle flash a bit distracting in the Zeno's when you're picking up tons of crap.
(Apologies if it's already an option and I missed it somehow)

And yeah the Greenlight comments are pretty :?
I guess we tend to forget sometimes just how niche this genre is.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:46 am 

Aren't they replacing Greenlight soon? Or was that a rumor? Voting yes either way, good luck.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:13 am 

Legendary Hoamaru wrote:
Aren't they replacing Greenlight soon? Or was that a rumor? Voting yes either way, good luck.

Kaiser wrote:
Anyway you will find videos and screenshots there, this is fairly early in development BUT with the upcoming changes to the Steam (Greenlight will be no more in next 3 months), we made a decision to take what we have and show it.

1cc list | Twitch | YouTube

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:11 am 

mamboFoxtrot wrote:
Gave it a vote! Looking forward to robo-cats n such :3

A small request, though: do you think you could have an option to disable the graphical effect on the pick-ups? Always found that subtle flash a bit distracting in the Zeno's when you're picking up tons of crap.
Yeah I can throw in an option to disable that effect no problem. Also we are currently at 120 votes and pushing forward, at an even pace so far. It's not gonna be easy to get this greenlit fast enough before Steam Direct becomes a thing but I think we can pull it off, and folks, your support really helps and it has already helped.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:21 pm 

I watched the greenlight videos and upvoted. The art looks pretty good and the gameplay seems fast-paced and fun.

I do think some of the bright background graphics could do with a tone-down.
I think they'd be distracting when tons of bullets are on the screen.

Also, the blue bullets blend in with the blue player shots.
So, I think the player shots would also benefit from decreased saturation or something along those lines.

It looks like an excellent start, though!
I had to laugh at all those fools calling it a mobile port. XD

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:23 pm 

It definitely looks and feels like a Toaplan style game. Very cool reading the support for aspect ratios etc. Insert obligatory "Would appreciate a GoG or non-steam/independent release because I hate Steam and DRM".

I agree the shot colour is problematic - the light blue bullets really blend in with the light blue shots. I also notice explosions are really bright yellow and cause the bright yellow bullets to get lost amongst them.

I'd say pick bullet colours that are a high contrast to enemy explosions as well as a high contrast to all the available player shot types (that's why in Mushi Futari, the enemies only shoot pink/purple bullets, none of the players use that as a colour, etc). Or, do something like what Touhou games and make the player's own shots darker or appear semi-transparent, so the enemy bullets are always much brighter by comparison. If you want a game where enemy shots appear in a rainbow of colours, this is the best way to implement player shot colour.

For a more Toaplan like example, in Batsugun, none of the player ships at any point as they level up get shots that are yellowish orange to the degree that the enemy bullets are. The closest is the Type B ship which, at level 1, has yellow sparks, but that's only going to be for the beginning of the game.

YouTube Videos
1CCs

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:50 pm 

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
It definitely looks and feels like a Toaplan style game. Very cool reading the support for aspect ratios etc. Insert obligatory "Would appreciate a GoG or non-steam/independent release because I hate Steam and DRM".

I agree the shot colour is problematic - the light blue bullets really blend in with the light blue shots. I also notice explosions are really bright yellow and cause the bright yellow bullets to get lost amongst them.

I'd say pick bullet colours that are a high contrast to enemy explosions as well as a high contrast to all the available player shot types (that's why in Mushi Futari, the enemies only shoot pink/purple bullets, none of the players use that as a colour, etc). Or, do something like what Touhou games and make the player's own shots darker or appear semi-transparent, so the enemy bullets are always much brighter by comparison. If you want a game where enemy shots appear in a rainbow of colours, this is the best way to implement player shot colour.

For a more Toaplan like example, in Batsugun, none of the player ships at any point as they level up get shots that are yellowish orange to the degree that the enemy bullets are. The closest is the Type B ship which, at level 1, has yellow sparks, but that's only going to be for the beginning of the game.
Great suggestions, I'm gonna experiment with it by making the backgrounds darker (and slightly more saturated), making the player shots slightly translucent. PRE-POST EDIT: How does this look? Image

Also the wallpaper is just a test, first real wallpaper is on the way ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:40 pm 

It looks better so far! The much darker player shots will help stand out against the brighter enemy shots. This will also really help players who may be colour blind, and really benefit from high-contrast enemy bullets (there's got to be some shmuppers out there like that). If you really wanna playtest hardcore around that, implementing a greyscale mode/filter for testing might be clever way of testing to see if your bullets are visible enough for that sort of thing, but that's probably overkill!

YouTube Videos
1CCs

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:25 am 

BareKnuckleRoo, you're a Toa fan too? We should totally be BFFs.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:18 am 

Loving the trailer music and all the character. Keep it up!

Offline Profile